A politically correct society...

PDA

Coffee357
March 17, 2004, 10:11 PM
Yesterday I went on the hunt for cap-guns. Needed some as training aids for a class I was putting on for my department. I didn't shop too much ahead because I wasn't going in until noon and had lot's of time to just run by the store and pick some up. These are the following places I didn't find my cap-guns (or later, when I was desperate, starting pistols). Three different Wallmarts (looks like they usually sold one type - but all stores were out). Target (the clerk pridefully told me they didn't sell ANY guns), Toys are Us (pretty much the same as Target - just nicer about it), Academy, and Oshman's sporting goods. What are they doing to my country???

If you enjoyed reading about "A politically correct society..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
March 17, 2004, 10:24 PM
http://www.kitestailstoys.com/replicaguns/index.html

Cap guns for sale.

Though, to be completely honest, cap guns are old and busted. The new hotness is Airsoft.

If you're planning to use them for firearms familiarity courses or somesuch, airsoft would definately be the way to go.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/

Coffee357
March 17, 2004, 10:59 PM
Actually it was more of an active shooter course. Needed the sound of gunfire to track in on and something gun-like to seperate the shooter from the victim. Also on a budget (buying them myself) - didn't want to shell out for airsoft.

fjolnirsson
March 17, 2004, 11:49 PM
All your guns are belong to us. :p

The other day, I was standing in line at a food place, watching two boys (about 6 years old) pointing fingers at one another and making bang noises. One father, upon noticing this behavior, grabbed his son roughly by the arm, jerked him around face to face, and loudly declared, "We DO NOT make guns with our fingers! You know better! Go sit with your mother!"

Good lesson, huh?:barf: :fire: :cuss:

Don Gwinn
March 17, 2004, 11:51 PM
I get the feeling Target has a few words in their new employee training about why they don't sell evil gun stuff. They do indeed seem to have a disproportionate number of employees who are proud of not selling, for instance, gun magazines. Go figure.

You can buy a cap gun at the gas station here in Illinois, along with Wal-Mart and the others.

If you don't mind using a real gun, you can prime brass (or pull bullets from loaded ammo) and fire the primer in a real gun. A revolver would even repeat. Firing just primers is very loud, somewhere in the middle between cap guns and gun shots. Might even work better. But in a training scenario. . . . real gun is probably a bad idea.

The primer trick gets someone's attention when you tell them a gun is unloaded and have them point it downrange and pull the trigger. Makes it clear that you can't trust your own mother to unload a gun for you.

Tamara
March 18, 2004, 12:03 AM
and Oshman's sporting goods.

Sad, really.

I bought my first gun from Oshman's at Cumberland Mall in Atlanta. I remember, as I was filling out the 4473 for that 10/22 and wondering how many 25-rd Ram-Lines I could afford, gazing wistfully across the counter at the row of HK-91's that were so far out of my price range as a poor high school student. Five hundred and seventy dollars for a stamped sheet metal rifle? That was just crazy! :uhoh:

Josey
March 18, 2004, 12:29 AM
I don't even know if cap guns are still made. I started using IAR and Collectors Armoury blank firers. They are expensive. They last though and can be repaired. Denix makes most of them.

Frohickey
March 18, 2004, 01:03 AM
The other day, I was standing in line at a food place, watching two boys (about 6 years old) pointing fingers at one another and making bang noises. One father, upon noticing this behavior, grabbed his son roughly by the arm, jerked him around face to face, and loudly declared, "We DO NOT make guns with our fingers! You know better! Go sit with your mother!"

Yeah. These days, we have CNC machines make it for us. :p

ceetee
March 18, 2004, 11:57 PM
Check in the coach's section for starter's pistols. Check also in the hunting section for the starter's pistols... some guys have to use them to get their dogs used to loud bang noises...

Sam Adams
March 19, 2004, 05:11 PM
"Yeah. These days, we have CNC machines make it for us"

I was going to reply along the same lines, as in "We DO NOT make guns with our fingers! You know better! We make them with metal, wood and plastic. Anyway, waving your gunfingers around violates at least 2 of Cooper's 4 rules. Go sit with your mother until you learn! "

Eskimo Jim
March 19, 2004, 05:24 PM
I noticed the same lack of cap guns a year or two ago when shopping for a present for one of my nephews. I finally found a cowboy set. I bought two, one for my nephew and one to put away for when I have kids.

I did the same thing with a Red Ryder BB gun:D

The down side is now I want one too:evil:

-Jim

Selfdfenz
March 19, 2004, 05:27 PM
Cap guns are still out there from time to time but what you are looking for is a metal childs toy pistol than takes "caps' in strips of circles. The "caps" are red, plastic and come in a separate pack. The toy pistol is approx 3-4 dollars and ususally pot metal or mostly pot metal, the caps 1-2 dollars depending on size of the pack.

The "cap" itself (red plastic) is approx the size of a #11 percussion cap for muzzleloaders and louder IMO.

A much better training product than paper caps and cheaper than a started pistol. They are dandy for dog training. Loud but not too loud , and cheap.

This product is usually in the Walmark isle with cheap rubber snakes, yo-yos, and the cheaper cared and blister packed toys costing a dollar or so. EVERY Walmart has this dept but don't count on any of the emps knowing were it is.

I've seen this product for sell in every Walmark I have every been in.

My 8 yo can get me to that area of the store in 3 minutes on his 1st visit to the any WM store. No problemo.

S-

Selfdfenz
March 19, 2004, 05:33 PM
Coffee,

Picture on the Walmart type product.

http://64.33.43.74/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=4T&Category_Code=Cowboy100

S-

Bridger
March 19, 2004, 07:50 PM
It's a shame isn't it?

I've been finding toy guns at the dollar store a lot, some are pretty bad and some are alright. All is cheap stuff and worth less than a dollar. I've bought several of some types to put away for when I have kids, since my 4 nephews all have anti-gun parents.

Some supermarkets also have some cap guns in their small toy sections.

Bainx
March 19, 2004, 08:06 PM
The Walmart in our neighborhood is loaded with cap guns. Looks like they are building them better than ever from what I saw.
I was there buying caps a year ago for my youngest daughter to use in my [circa 1962] revolvers.:D

STW
March 19, 2004, 08:34 PM
So, am I the only one who used to hit an entire roll of caps with a hammer?
That BANG :what: was much more satisfying than all those individual bangs. :)

SteelyDan
March 19, 2004, 11:33 PM
STW, I was right there with you, buddy. The red caps came on a little roll about the size of a roll of nickles. The roll was segmented or perforated so you could break the "big roll" into maybe 10 "little rolls" that fit into the cap guns. And yes, it was only a matter of time until you just broke off the "little rolls" and smacked them with a hammer for the big boom.

The circular red plastic things were even more interesting, and they used to be MUCH louder than regular cap guns. I think they were shot out of something called Wasp guns. No comment there. They were a big step up from regular cap guns, but eventually you were faced with three choices: (1) crush the little red powder cups, make a pile of the powder, and introduce the pile to your hammer, (2) drill out the bore of the Wasp and fill it with spitwads (or whatever) and it would actually shoot, or (3) both of the above.

Ah, the happy memories of childhood 30 years ago...

STW
March 20, 2004, 02:38 AM
My childhood must have been more evil than most. In addition to cap guns, I had a revolver that shot plastic bullets that were loaded into cases with spring inside. They'd easily shoot across the room. Downside was that they were quickly lost. Ammunition for a six shooting revolving rubber band gun was much easier to find and made cowboys and cowboys much more interesting.

Umm, I'm surprised I haven't read about my friends in the paper. Surely I can't be the only lucky one to escape massacring the entire neighborhood in the years since then. :confused: Maybe I can get written up in a medical journal somewhere. I'm probably just a coiled spring waiting to snap. I've even carried a knife since I was seven. :evil: (This is terrible. I don't even feel any remorse. psociapathic?)

Moparmike
March 20, 2004, 02:42 AM
Dont feel too bad STW, I walked in to school everyday for years with 2 pocket knives, and one of those evil thigh-stabbing (ow. :fire: ) P-38's. If I had been SPEC-OP's, Lord knows what I could have done with that P-38.:neener:

matis
March 20, 2004, 03:21 AM
I used to make model guns out of what we then called (in Canada) plasticine. It was probably pretty much what they call "play-dough" now (that I'm) in the States. I was 7 or 8 and liked to make, from pictures in comic books, models of the peacemaker and the 1911 45 ACP, although I had no idea, then, what they were called.

I remember playing with them and keeping them under my bed at night. And I remember liking the pungent smell of the plasticine.

Of course the the barrel soon drooped, the gun would lose its shape, and I'd have to make another one or two.

I had gotten used to dividing my life into 2 phases: first anti-gun, then gun nut.

So it looks now like there were actually 3 phases:

1) Loved guns
2) brain-washed into thinking I didn't like guns
3) and finally the epiphany -- guns are beautiful; bullets are like jewelry.

I had cap guns, too, and I too would sometimes hit the individual caps with a hammer, but I never thought of hitting the whole role at once. Could be 'cause money didn't come easy, then, and I had to make 'em last.

My fifteen year old daughter played with dolls and not toy guns. But I'm looking at the bright side -- she now likes boys, not girls. And the way things are today, you cannot take that for granted, anymore.

And I'm working on her -- she sometimes comes to the range and she's learning to use REAL guns.

"Thanks, for the memories.... (think Bing Crosby)"

matis

Coffee357
March 20, 2004, 03:08 PM
Finally found some capguns when my wife sent me to the store for milk (after the class, of course). They look like an orange and blue Beretta Mdl 85 and take the 8-round ring caps in a tip-up barrel. Got three of them for next time and lots of ammo. Had to touch off 8 rounds in the truck on the way home (to make sure they worked ;) ). Haven't smelled that in years - sure brought back some memories :D ! Love the smell of caps!

Coffee

Kobun
March 20, 2004, 03:29 PM
Take a full strip of caps (paper type) and wind it around a marble.
Then cover the whole thing in tape so it's air tight.

Great for throwing down a street (or starewell) :evil: and even as ammo for slingshots.
Gives a very loud report, and all that is left is some tape. The marble bounces away. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "A politically correct society..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!