Cold Blue Touch-up

PDA

MI2600
May 22, 2013, 06:05 PM
I read through several prior threads on Oxpho-Blue, but didn't see the answer I was looking for.

While doing small small scratches, etc, how does the Oxpho affect the original bluing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold Blue Touch-up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JRH6856
May 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
It doesn't really affect the original bluing, but it may not match it either. Nor will it last as long, especially if you are trying to repair holster wear--it will just wear off quicker than the original. If you are trying to repair a scratch, if the metal itself is scratched, it will still be visible as a line unless you buff it out and then you will damage the surrounding finish.

I have had good luck making Oxpho last a bit longer by heating the spot to be blued with a heat gun before applying the bluing.

Another option is Dichro-Pan T4 (from Brownells). When applied to hot steel, it will give you a deep blue, almost black.

MI2600
May 22, 2013, 08:09 PM
This is on an older rifle that probably won't see much use. I enjoy keeping them in the best condition I can and keep them deteriorating any further.

JRH6856
May 22, 2013, 08:36 PM
If the color is blue, try Oxpho as it lasts longer, but if the color is blue-black to black, the Dichro is your best bet. Make sure the surface is thoroughly degreased. Any oil will kill the bluing. Use a heat gun or 1500watt hair dryer to heat the metal as hot as you can. You can get a good blend to the existing blue by wetting a strip of cloth with the Oxpho and buffing like a shoe shine--works really good on barrels and rounded (convex) surfaces. Not so much on flats as it tends to wear the corners.

rcmodel
May 22, 2013, 09:14 PM
For touching up small scratches & stuff ?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Birchwood-Casey-Presto-Gun-Blue-Pen/705684.uts?productVariantId=3360322&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03601111&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=33DBE72F-6666-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=27404240711&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=52255515791&gclid=CM7qkev4qrcCFUxp7AodYWwAfQ

Can't hardly beat the Birchwood Casey Presto Blue pen.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Cold Blue Touch-up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!