.357 case 'straightening'?

PDA

Claybuster6000
May 22, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hello:
I want to reload some .357 cases, but somehow the case mouths got flared to such a point that they won't even fit in the bullet seating die of my Hornady LnL press. I hate to just throw them away, since its so hard to find replacements.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can bring these cases back to a normal condition, bearing in mind that they won't currently fit in the reloading press? Thanks much.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 case 'straightening'?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Comrade Mike
May 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
They won't even fit in your resizing die?

savanahsdad
May 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
if they came out of your gun they should fit in your resize die , got a pic. ?

splattergun
May 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
you sized, primed and flared them, now find that they are flared too much to fit into your seating die... Is that right? Well, obviously you need to check the flare setting on your die, but I presume you figured that.

If there are only a few, just resize, reprime and recharge. If a boatload, you can take the decapping pin out of your sizing die and resize them all without popping out the primers. Then proceed as normal (after verifying your flare setting).

Cosmoline
May 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
From time to time I'll have one flared a bit too much. It will work in the Lee seater, just scrapes a bit going in. Doesn't effect performance.

Salmoneye
May 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
If the cases are flared 'too much' to fit in the seating die, simply run them into the resizing die a tad to remove some of the flare...

Remove the decapping pin so you do not accidentally hit the anvil of a live primer, and have at it...

rcmodel
May 22, 2013, 09:58 PM
If it won't fit in the seating die, it won't fit in the sizing die for sure.

Your best bet would be a larger tapered rifle caliber sizing die just big enough to get the flair started in.

Maybe a 30-30 Win die?

rc

Walkalong
May 22, 2013, 10:05 PM
See if a fourty die will push them in a little, or some other die as rcmodel suggested.

JRH6856
May 22, 2013, 10:18 PM
And if all else fails, just trim them down and load them as .38Specials. ;)

Salmoneye
May 22, 2013, 10:50 PM
Hmm...

I swear I made the same mistake 25+ years ago while loading some .44 mag, and used my suggested remedy with my RCBS dies...

Could be CRS...

GP100man
May 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
You need a 222 rem die , it`s big enuff to accept the over flared case .

Just to move the mouths a little ya may not even have to remove the deprimer/flareing rod.

Hondo 60
May 23, 2013, 01:30 AM
If it's too big to fit in the seating die, use a needle nosed pliers & close it up just a bit at a time.
Keep working all the way around.

joneb
May 23, 2013, 02:27 AM
Sounds like the 357 cases were flared in a 38spl die :eek:

FROGO207
May 23, 2013, 06:13 AM
^^ I do that all the time.:) You just adjust the die so it does not go down as far and all will be OK. ;) Most dies will say 38SPL/357 on them.

918v
May 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
Roll them between two steel plates.

buck460XVR
May 23, 2013, 10:56 AM
Do you have a chamfering/deburring tool? If you chamfer the outside of the case a little it may feed into the resizing die. You may need to help feed the cases by hand to make sure they enter the die centered.

mdi
May 23, 2013, 04:53 PM
918v beat me to it! Lay a steel plate (or piece of scrap metal that's flat) and use another piece of metal to roll the cases between them, which will iron the flare out. Brass cases are so soft you could prolly use some hardwood, it don't take much...

Dframe
May 23, 2013, 06:28 PM
OK admit it guys. WHO hasn't accidentally pushed a 357 case into a die set to flare a 38 specials?!?!
The fastest easiest way to take out excessive flare is a 357 SIG sizing die. Give you excessively flared case mouths just a touch of lube, screw in your 357 sig die and go for it.

joneb
May 24, 2013, 12:38 AM
OK admit it guys. WHO hasn't accidentally pushed a 357 case into a die set to flare a 38 specials?
:o Yep, I sometimes forget the spacer washer with with the flaring die.

GLOOB
May 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
OK admit it guys. WHO hasn't accidentally pushed a 357 case into a die set to flare a 38 specials?!?!
Sure. But when we do it, we end up with only one overflared case. :rolleyes:

FROGO207
May 24, 2013, 07:03 AM
I use the lee dies and it'll look like an accordion brass or split the neck. I would pick up on that the first brass also.:scrutiny:

Walkalong
May 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
OK admit it guys. WHO hasn't accidentally pushed a 357 case into a die set to flare a 38 specials?!?! Not me, it was .45 ACP and .45 Colt. :o

Robert101
May 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
"He who has never sinned shall cast the first stone". I guess I"ll put down my rock now.

mdi
May 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
Well, maybe being a life long machinist/mechanic I can feel when sum ding wong. If I were flaring a case and felt too much resistance, I'd stop and find out why...

Walkalong
May 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
I felt it, and said to myself, dang that's not right! And it wasn't. :D

buck460XVR
May 24, 2013, 07:28 PM
I felt it, and said to myself, dang that's not right! And it wasn't. :D

My experience is, with .357, it seems if you can feel resistance on the belling die, you've got too much flare........

david bachelder
May 24, 2013, 07:41 PM
I pulled a bone head move the other day.

I had a bunch of .40S&W and some 45 Colt. I seperated the two and dropped the 45 colt in the cleaner. I had no idea that I had dropped in a piece of 45 Colt that had a .40 stuck inside. Normally I look closely at these things, but this one slipped by. The brass came out really clean and nice looking so I dropped it into my clean 45 Colt brass bucket. A week or two later I decided to load up some 45 Colt. Little did I know there was a self laid booby trap waiting on me.

I was running the brass through the LNL and all of a sudden things froze up. I had no idea what was going on so I pushed a little harder. I finally stopped and backtracked reversing the pressure on the press. It was then that I saw the strangest piece of 45 Colt Brass I had ever seen in my life. It kind of looked like a piece of .357 Sig brass. Strange. After a brief look I noticed what the problem was.

Felt like an idiot.

JRH6856
May 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
At least you didn't get a 9mm or 380 or 32 stuck in the .40 as well. You'd have some kind of turducken round.

Claybuster6000
May 25, 2013, 01:57 AM
Hello Folks:
I'd like to thank you all for the great input you've given me (and even the criticism). I took the suggestion of using a larger caliber die (in this case .380), and it did the trick. I was able to reduce the flare enough to get the cases back into the .357 dies and essentially start over without losing any cases. Problem solved! I'm once again up to my *ss in br*ss! Thanks again.

Comrade Mike
May 26, 2013, 02:41 PM

I had a bunch of .40S&W and some 45 Colt. I seperated the two and dropped the 45 colt in the cleaner. I had no idea that I had dropped in a piece of 45 Colt that had a .40 stuck inside. Normally I look closely at these things, but this one slipped by. The brass came out really clean and nice looking so I dropped it into my clean 45 Colt brass bucket. A week or two later I decided to load up some 45 Colt. Little did I know there was a self laid booby trap waiting on me.

I was running the brass through the LNL and all of a sudden things froze up. I had no idea what was going on so I pushed a little harder. I finally stopped and backtracked reversing the pressure on the press. It was then that I saw the strangest piece of 45 Colt Brass I had ever seen in my life. It kind of looked like a piece of .357 Sig brass. Strange. After a brief look I noticed what the problem was.

Felt like an idiot.

Hey you never know, you might be onto the latest wild cat with that one :P

thump_rrr
May 27, 2013, 05:21 AM

Felt like an idiot.
This is why I hate having friends use my press.
I have a friend who also has a Hornady LnL AP Progressive.
He always seems to have trouble with his press.
One day he came over whe I was setup to run .45ACP.
He told me his was setup for .223 and asked if he could load on mine once I was done.
I loaded 500 rounds without any issues at all in about 30 minutes.

He brings how brass over and starts loading and he has all kinds of problems.
He tries to load so fast that the shellplate doesn't index properly, powder spills into the primer system jamming the slide which in turn doesn't close.
He doesn't even begin to notice so he drives the primer punch into the slider that bends it.
After this is all straightened he jams the press up with a .40 cal stuck inside of a .45ACP.
This throws the pawl adjustment out of whack.
Needless to say nobody uses my press anymore without supervision.

KansasSasquatch
May 27, 2013, 10:26 AM
Thump_rrr it sounds like your buddy needs a chill pill and some instruction on how to use an LNL.

evan price
May 28, 2013, 07:48 AM
Only if a 357 case gets in my 38s by accident, and since I sort my own brass, I have only myself to blame.

If you enjoyed reading about ".357 case 'straightening'?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!