Used guns

PDA

ZVP
May 23, 2013, 09:39 AM
Almost all my guns were bought used.careful reserch, Akeem eye and being to overlook scratches and light dings allowed me to buy nearly all my guns!
Costs and drive- off depreciation can be put aside if you're willing to be paitent and careful!
Heck I even own used pellet guns
Careful shopping folks!
BPDave

If you enjoyed reading about "Used guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SabbathWolf
May 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
I've never bought a single used gun.

MedWheeler
May 23, 2013, 10:38 AM
I've bought one from a private owner (another cop), and several from dealers. Most of them are handguns. Never had an issue with any of them.

I also bought a used pellet gun once from a pawn shop, but have since misplaced it. Never did shoot it.

medalguy
May 23, 2013, 10:40 AM
Heck I've got lots of used guns. When's the last time you saw a new Smith model 10-2 or a Trapdoor carbine?

mgmorden
May 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
I buy the occasional new gun, but the majority have been used. In particular I pickup a lot of surplus guns (police and military). Worse issue I've ever had was that on my SW99 the front sight was loose. 2 minutes and some Loctite fixed that no problem (those sights are held on by a screw the same size as the ones used on a Glock).

Overall you can take your money a lot farther buying used. Plus any new gun that you own will be used after the first range trip, so why worry about paying a premium for such a temporary condition?

JohnM
May 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
I've bought one new gun in the last 30 or so years.
And after my experience out of the box with a very high end super expensive model by a well known maker, I doubt I'll buy another new.

GrOuNd_ZeRo
May 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
Most used guns I own are surplus, my Kel-Tec P11 I bought used but has barely been fired for the reason the trigger is ungodly heavy.

Reloadron
May 23, 2013, 10:44 AM
Considering my like of older 1911 .45s and older Colt and S&W revolvers I would be pretty hard pressed to run out and buy one new.

If someone knows what they want and what to look for in a fair priced used gun there is nothing wrong with buying used. No shortage of used in my collection plus a few I bought new.

Ron

robert garner
May 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
All my guns are used,a very few weren't when I got them , but all are used now.
I've even got used brass, some more than others, after much use and cases start splitting, 357's and 44's get trimmed and made into brand new specials, rinse and repeat.
My 17 Enfield has taken 17 ungulates with 17 rounds, in my hands, it was Pa's before and will be boy's next, I imagine it feeding my progeny into the next century.

bannockburn
May 23, 2013, 10:52 AM
Last used gun I bought was from a dealer at a gunshow a couple of years ago. I was looking for a lever action rifle and I came across a Rossi Model 92. It came in its original box and shipping carton and had all of the paperwork. I even found a copy of the receipt from the original sale folded up inside the box. The rifle was in mint condition and appeared to be unfired. Overall I would say I got a decent deal on it and I'm more than satisfied with its quality and performance.

Lj1941
May 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
I have bought MAINLY used guns since I got my C & R license. Previously most were handed down by family and were used.My buying of new guns in my lifetime has been very limited mostly by lack of cash. I did not buy anything I couldn't pay cash for.:cuss:

statelineblues
May 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
Probably 90% of the guns I've purchased over the years have been used - and never worried about them.

And a +1 to GrOuNd ZeRo - the trigger on my P11 (bought used) is awful!

Walkalong
May 23, 2013, 11:54 AM
I have bought far more used guns than new guns. Only a handful of disappointments.

tarosean
May 23, 2013, 11:57 AM
I like used more and more esp. since now-a-days they are sticking a rail on every new gun made..

Old Fuff
May 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
It's been so long since I bought a new gun I can't remember exactly when that was. :uhoh:

New guns are like used cars. Drive them off the dealer's parking lot and they have instant used car value. Continue to use them (cars or guns) and the value drops if wear & tear show.

In the case of guns I believe that since the 1960's there have been endless changes made to reduce manufacturing costs - that don't necessarily mean an improved product.

And in most cases, the latest & greatest trends don't impress me. :barf:

Last but not least, if I don't pick something with a cult following I can get more gun for less money spent. ;)

Others can do whatever they want, but I hope they buy new guns and leave the rest for me. :evil:

huntsman
May 23, 2013, 01:03 PM
I'm at about 60-40% used over new and most of what I'd consider buying isn't being manufactured any more so NOS would be my first choice if I can find it.

Chevelle SS
May 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
I have only bought 3 guns new

AirForceShooter
May 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
I confine my used gun purchases to brands that offer the lifetime warranty regardless of owner.

Springer virtually rebuilt a 1911 for me at zero cost.

AFS

PlayTheAces
May 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
Thinking about it, I can't recall ever buying a new long gun in over forty years of shooting. Everything has been milsurp or used.

Handguns, I'd say maybe 30% I've acquired were new.

Funny that I've never really given it any thought before.

SleazyRider
May 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Used isn't always the best choice. To compare apples to apples, let's say both new and used of a particular model gun are available---now it's a question of economics. Oftentimes the used gun is priced at 80% or more the cost of a new one, and for my money, it usually isn't worth the risk. Consider that used may not have a warranty, and you may be inheriting the previous owner's problem gun.

aarondhgraham
May 23, 2013, 02:20 PM
I know enough about revolvers to evaluate a used one,,,
So I'm confident I can buy a used one without being burned.

I don't have that same confidence level with semi-auto's,,,
So unless I can get a firm money back guarantee,,,
I won't buy a used semi-auto handgun.

Aarond

Tommy Medlin
May 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
I bought a beautiful Rm.7400 /30-06 ,tried to sight in ,and it wouldn't hold a 14" pattern at 25 yds. Traded for a new Rem.Mod 7 /243 SS Composite for $100 diff. and still made money.Very pleased with it.Shoots 3 shots in one hole at 100 yds. !! Cloverleaf ,that is.

firesky101
May 23, 2013, 02:43 PM
If you count the ar I built, I have only bought three new guns. The two others were Rugers. I have no issue buying used, and typically find I have more interest in old stuff.

Teachu2
May 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
I probably buy 75% new, 20% LNIB, and 5% "project" guns. The handgun market is so crazy here now, many used guns sell at or above new MSRP. I never pass up a bargain, though....

J-Bar
May 23, 2013, 03:31 PM
Dang!

Even the ones I bought new are used now!

I wonder what happened??

silicosys4
May 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
I find there is very little being made now that surpasses the quality of older firearms. S&W is a perfect example. I love older S&W's, but am not interested in the least in anything new from S&W.
Colt revolvers are a passion of mine these days, and its hard to find those NIB any more.

Not to mention, you are very very seldom going to find a new gun that is a great deal.
I have purchased many used guns that were purchased by myself at an undervalued price, and have now either appreciated or been sold for a profit.

I have been burned a few times with used gun purchases, however, and in each case it involved internet guns that were not as described. In all but one or two cases the guns were sent back and a refund received.

I have only ever bought 1 new gun, and feel I overpaid considering a used gun of the same model is about $150 less right now, but oh well.

mljdeckard
May 23, 2013, 05:35 PM
I've had more new disappointments than used.

oldbear
May 23, 2013, 05:50 PM
As my tastes to classic Smith and Wesson revolvers, I've only purchased one new handgun in 30 years. I've never had any problems with any of my used purchases.

Lonestar49
May 23, 2013, 05:56 PM

Back, some 7yrs ago when my first gun, a Beretta Px4 40 developed trigger sting in cold temps and then just after the 4K mark the sting became full time until the gun warmed up, I sent it back to BUSA, and when it became apparent that it was gonna take 3 months or longer for them to deal with it, I bought my first, of 2, nice used Sig P229 non-railed 40's for less than the price of a NIB one, if I could have found a non-railed NIB.

The first one I bought from a gun bud and knew how to check it out, inside and out and it passed muster. It had around 2000 rounds on it and it now has just over 6K flawless rounds, and the other one I found at my LGS tucked away under the glass and it had less than 1K on it but the DA trigger pull was very gritty.

A little clean-up, Eezox treatments, 1 Wolff 17lb mainspring in one and another Wolff 18lb mainspring in the other and both became great shooters, 6yrs later with 6K flawless rounds on each with no light strikes ever. They both have proved their worth and pleasure in the money I saved a/o invested.

Oh, and 6 months later BUSA sent me a new Px4 40/G w/D spring with my night sights on from the other gun and 3 extra new mags. Still have that gun with 4K flawless rounds and no trigger sting.

Good guns usually have good owners and it's just a matter of their in need of money or money for a new project more so than it was a lemon but -

Visual inspections are the_key and pay-off in spades with the money one saves over new if one finds a used gun and it checks out - good to go

OMMV

Ls

Derry 1946
May 23, 2013, 06:00 PM
Bought a Mossberg 500 new. I would have bought it used if I had been able to find one locally. But it was only about $180, so that was ok. Bought a RIA 1911 .45 new for around $350. My 642 was new. Everything else used, mostly pre-war stuff. Not planning to buy anything else new (or even post-war).

NormB
May 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
I've bought a LOT of "used" guns.

About fifteen years ago, first year I had my C&R, a pharmacist friend offered me a box of guns he'd inherited from an uncle. Uncle was a WW2 vet he went "up the boot" collecting 1934 Berettas, Lugers from 1916, 1920, 1937, and the 40s, P38s, couple of Colts, and more (even a Steyr-Hahn from 1911). Got 24 guns for $4,000. Sold one Luger and it paid for the other 23.

Have since sold, traded and bought quite a few more and with the near exception of one used 3d generation Colt Peacemaker I'm sending out for some 'smithing as it just wasn't "right" when I got it from the seller (some would say that ALL 3d generation Colts are suspect but I won't debate that here), with a broken hammer safety notch, but for the price I can afford to have a new hammer installed.

But new guns?

I bought an HK pistol once that repeatedly discharged out of battery (HK said it was fine and the next owner never complained) and a Para Ordnance P10 Warthog that wouldn't feed anything but ball ammo even after the factory worked on it, said they ran 200 rounds through it - I wouldn't trust my life to it, sold it too - and a Kimber I had to do a trigger job on, and I owned one Glock (just the one. That was enough).

Last year I bought a S&W 1911Sc .45 4.25" through Buds which shot fine, but the safety didn't work right. Sent it back to S&W and they "fixed it," sent it back and it STILL wouldn't stay down. Took off the grips, took them to a grinder and pared down the tops on each side, then took a file to the safety so it wouldn't bottom out on the grips before the detent would engage. Refinished the grips, parkerized the safety, reassembled it and it's my favorite gun. (maybe my wife's too. I let her shoot it last month and might need to find another). Of course it would have been nice if the janitor who worked on it at S&W had actually read what I wrote in my note and asked one of the GUNSMITHS to fix it the way it should have been direct from the factory.

Overall? I've been happier with used than new guns.

answerguy
May 23, 2013, 07:20 PM

Same here; I always buy them two at a time.

ridgerunner1965
May 23, 2013, 07:36 PM
all my favorite guns i purchased used.some were used for 75 to 100 years before i got them.the majority were used for 10 to 20 years when i got them.im not a antique collector, i just like the better quality of the older guns.

mavracer
May 23, 2013, 09:27 PM
I don't care if they're used when I buy them cause they're gonna be used soon after. I doubt more than 25% of my guns were purchased new

JVaughn
May 23, 2013, 10:12 PM
The used outnumber the new in my collection. I generally like the older stuff, which is rare to find new.

jmace57
May 23, 2013, 10:14 PM
The first gun I ever bought was new (Ruger Single-Six), and have never bought another new one. between 40 and 50 used ones.

MedWheeler
May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'll contribute again. Of 23 firearms I've owned (prior to my terrible boating accident!), nine were purchased used. Two were inherited used, and one was given to me used. Take those three I didn't pay for out of the equation, and that leaves 9 of 20 that I paid money for being used. Being used typically was reflected in the price, but not in the ownership experience; haven't had any issues with any of them (though two are blackpowder revolvers that I have never fired.)

rcmodel
May 23, 2013, 10:41 PM
I've never bought a single used gun. Then you don't realize how many great old classic guns you are missing out on!

But then?
That leaves more for those of us who do!

rc

bobinoregon
May 23, 2013, 10:43 PM
In over 40 years I've maybe bought 3-4 new guns, used is a whole nother story. It's only new till you shoot it and I don't care if that person was me or somebody else. Used just means you know it works.

mljdeckard
May 23, 2013, 11:07 PM
I always try (but usually fail) to keep $500 available at all times to be able to snag something I find in a pawn shop.

Onward Allusion
May 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
About 85% of my guns were pre-owned. Many of the guns I trust my life to are pre-owned. My nightstand gun is a former LE 5906TSW. Most quality pistols can go 30,000 to 50,000 rounds easy. The overwhelming majority of gun owners don't even come close to 1/2 that number on any one gun.

shiftyer1
May 24, 2013, 01:23 AM
I've worked in pawnshops for better than 12 years, it had better be real special for me to buy it new. 80% of the guns that come through my shop have not been shot much.....if at all.

exavid
May 24, 2013, 01:39 AM
I have both new and used. I don't see any difference. I do like having used guns because in this state private sales are 'paper free'. It makes my paranoia less when no one has a record of what I have except myself.

itchy1
May 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
Shiftyer1 brings up a great point on how many guns actually see very little use. You can save a nice chunk of change if you are patient, shop around and negotiate.

chez323
May 24, 2013, 09:29 AM
I prefer used guns, rarely do a I buy a new gun. Last new one I bought was a Ruger 10/22 international...... first place I check out in a gun store is the used gun case/rack. Picked up some really nice, hardly used gems over the years. Classified sections on this and other forums are a good source too. Saved a lot of $ and for the most part the guns are in great shape with limited and in some cases no use at all.

orionengnr
May 24, 2013, 09:34 AM
This would have made an interesting poll.

Domino300
May 24, 2013, 10:06 AM
Approx. 20% I bought new. I buy a lot of stuff that I wanted way back when younger that I couldn't afford then. Don't care for the tacti-cool stuff. I actually preferred the M14 to the M16 when in the Army/RVN. Just bought an old M1 Garand to play with.

Onward Allusion
May 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
Last new one I bought was a Ruger 10/22 international...

Ya know, that's funny. If I take a step back and look at this, all my semi-auto 22LR's were purchased new! All my 22LR revolvers were purchased pre-owned. I guess I expect folks to shoot their 22 semi autos like I do, a couple of bricks at a time at each range visit. Actually, come to think of it, all my revolvers except for 3 snubs, were purchased used. . .

Liberty1776
May 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
robertgarner's got it right...

My 17 Enfield has taken 17 ungulates with 17 rounds, in my hands, it was Pa's before and will be boy's next, I imagine it feeding my progeny into the next century.

If you don't want a used gun, don't buy one - but there's nothing wrong with them if you have any sense at all and with average use they will last centuries. Yes, I meant that - I believe most average deer rifles, for example, will last hundreds of years. How many guys really shoot more than a box a year, seriously?

SabbathWolf
May 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
Then you don't realize how many great old classic guns you are missing out on!

But then?
That leaves more for those of us who do!

rc
Lol....

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with buying a used gun.
It's just that I personally never have.
That's two different things ... lol

mljdeckard
May 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
(I have my grandfather's 1917 too.)

doc2rn
May 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
I have only ever purchased two guns new, a Rem 700 and an Italian shotgun. I could have done better if SxS shotguns wheren't so scarce!

Ignition Override
May 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Bought one new gun, an AO imitation M-1 Carbine in '07.
Had to send it back to the factory when the bolt jammed, for a free repair (no homework before the purchase). It was my first gun purchase,
and first/last new gun.

In 1942-'44, '48, '53, '55 etc my other guns were new or rearsenaled.

They build none of these milsurps anymore, with the exception of some version of the Garand at the CMP.
Imagine the retail price for milsurps if manufactured today.

Deltaboy
May 24, 2013, 09:14 PM
I bought only new guns in my Life. The rest have been used.

raubvogel
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
I bought one new gun. Everything else was used.

Ok, I build an AR and do not know where I should put that one.

five.five-six
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM
I don't know how many new guns I have bought exactly but the vast majority of my guns are bought used.

Agsalaska
May 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
Really. I bet 95% of the guns I have bought are used. Actually more like 98% now that I do the math.

Agsalaska
May 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
In fact, other than a few options in the deer rifle category, I cannot thin of a new gun I have any interest in.

1. I could care less about ARs or anything else that could be referred to as a 'platform'
2. Buying a pistol new makes no sense to me at all. All I need a pistol to do is shoot a lot relatively accurately every time. A 2nd generation Glock will do that. Dont get me wrong I have some nice pistols. But wouldnt buy one new.
3. I LOVE revolvers. But it has been a while since the gun manufacturers took them seriously.
4. Not into shotguns

So there.

Grassman
May 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
Several of my guns are 50-60 plus years old, I like milsurps, yeah I buy used guns.

Valkman
May 25, 2013, 12:35 AM
I've bought new and used. Used were from gunshops and private sales, and a couple of gems came right here on THR. :)

ZVP
May 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
If you check out the. Gun well there is noting wrong with buying one. Both seis and revolvers cann have defects though.

BPDave

Twiki357
May 26, 2013, 01:40 AM
I'm probably 50/50 between new and used purchases. But a lot of used guns are frustrating. When I find a good buy, someone else always gets to it first.

Levi
May 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
I bought a used Taurus that had occasional ftf issues. (The seller told me about it and adjusted the price accordingly)

I sent it to Taurus and they fixed it for free. Several hundred rounds later, it still shot great.

There was no hassle and all it cost beyond the (very discounted) purchase price was a Fedex ground shipping charge.

Worked out good for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Used guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!