.22 Ammo...

PDA

deerhunter61
May 25, 2013, 09:50 AM
Where's it all gone? Why is everyone out? I guess I didn't realize it before because I have quite a bit of it and don't shoot it all that often.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ID-shooting
May 25, 2013, 10:03 AM
Question 1: Scalpers are a big part of it. Look to local classifieds, online auction sites, and tables at local gun shows. Be prepared to bring lots of $$$ if you want to buy it.

Question 2: See answer 1.

Reloadron
May 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
Where's it all gone? Why is everyone out? I guess I didn't realize it before because I have quite a bit of it and don't shoot it all that often.
So where have you been? You could have sent us a post card.

Following Sandy Hook (Did you hear about that?) the great ammunition shortage began. Driven by fear people began buying all the ammunition in sight which led to a shortage. This has been through January, February, March, April and May of 2013 and will likely last several more months.

On the bright side .22 LR ammunition is beginning to reappear on store shelves with most major retailers limiting quantities to their customers. So for pre scare prices I suggest you begin checking your local large retail stores.

Again, welcome back from your vacation. :)

Ron

RetiredUSNChief
May 25, 2013, 10:18 AM
It's out there...you just need to be persistent in checking various stores when they open first thing in the morning.

I picked up several bulk boxes a few weeks ago after I bought a Savage Mark II-F bolt action (which ended up being my wife's). She needed ammo to practice for a rifle competition, so I started out early one morning after getting off third shift and discovered a local Dick's Sporting Goods has 550 round bulk Remmington. Between two stores who had stock, and a couple friends, I got her 4 boxes. So she's set for a while.

It's getting easier...but you need patience.

If you don't want to wait, you can do like ID-shooting says and pay scalpers prices. But that's not for me.

deerhunter61
May 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
No vacation really...but I went into Cabella's after S.H. and saw how everyone was going crazy. Since then just been waiting for the panic to die down. I guess I'm amazed that the manufacturers can't produce it faster. Think a little gouging is going on?

As for brokers...hell will freeze over before I bought any from them. Don't much care for people like that.

jim243
May 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
Do yourself a favor, after this is over in about 3 more months, stock up a couple of bricks at a time. That is what I did after the last panic (2009) and still have 3,000 round out of the 5,000 (10 boxes) I purchased. Sounds like a lot, but it was only 10 boxes.

Jim

X-Rap
May 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
It's still out there, I have a couple friends who are haunting the local big box and they come up with it almost daily.
From what I've seen you have a better shot at some of the more rural Wally World stores, the big metro ones are still getting hit pretty hard.

Cee Zee
May 25, 2013, 11:36 AM
I've actually seen some .22 ammo in the last week. It's the first LR I've seen in months that wasn't the high priced target stuff or bulk ammo priced like it was high priced target stuff. I already had a good supply of target ammo so I didn't buy that. And I had quite a bit of bulk ammo too so I certainly didn't pay scalper prices. Keep in mind that those guys are learning the routines of every store in the country and buying up every round as soon as it shows up. They sell it on the net for 5 times the normal price at times. Real nice guys. I might see selling ammo you had stockpiled for a long time but to corner the supply is always seen as a cut throat move even among the worst of the capitalists. I don't dislike capitalism either but I do dislike gougers.

jpwilly
May 25, 2013, 11:43 AM
Quite buying 22lr for a while and let the scalpers sit on their stash. It will be back in stock soon enough. Don't buy more than you need and leave some for the rest of us.

sgtstryker
May 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
It is all the scalping, at least around here. But, the distributors are also charging higher prices too. I was at a shop this AM, he paid $42 for Winchester .357 JHP. Trying to sell it for $56. The supply seems to be getting better, but the prices aren't..IMHO

wally
May 25, 2013, 01:12 PM
The supply seems to be getting better, but the prices aren't..

Until the supply goes up the prices won't come down. Why is econ 101 law of supply and demand such a mystery?

gotigers
May 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
Just after the Newtown shooting, a LGS owner was going to walmart and buying all the ammo then selling at his shop for 5 times retail.

deerhunter61
May 25, 2013, 04:55 PM
Supply and demand...hum...true but I still struggle not with the industry making money but with them doing so on the backs of these tragedies which along with the Obama admin. It seems so far Obama has been their best friend and quite frankly it is quite infuriating.

ColtPythonElite
May 25, 2013, 05:29 PM
At least the profiteers and hoarders haven't affected target ammo much. I have bought 15k rounds at regular prices since Jan. 1.

hotajax
May 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
Not sure where you live, but here in Eastern PA it is improving. Today I bot 100 rds of CCI Mini-Mags at the local gun store. They asked me if I wanted to buy a brick for $35.00. And they had loads of bricks. Not saying everyday is good, but it seems to be getting better. Keep your chin up.

M-Cameron
May 25, 2013, 05:34 PM
At least the profiteers and hoarders haven't affected target ammo much. I have bought 15k rounds at regular prices since Jan. 1.

oh jesus dont let them know....i still need to buy some for perry and would like to not pay an arm and a leg.

Reloadron
May 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
Just after the Newtown shooting, a LGS owner was going to walmart and buying all the ammo then selling at his shop for 5 times retail.
So if in fact that is true what would the problem be? For days following the event thousands of regular shooters jumped online and bought tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition. Nothing is stopping anyone from beating people described as gougers to the Wal-Mart when ammunition is available.

A few weeks ago I was in a Gander Mountain when they just happen to stock. I snagged two boxes of Federal .45 ACP, a brick of .22 LR and an additional box of Federal Spitfire .22 LR. The stuff is out there! Today that same store had cases of 40 S&W and all this ammunition at regular prices.

This shortage did not happen overnight. It took a good week for things to dry up. Anyone with a half of a mind could have run out and stocked up and many did. Anyway, ammunition in all calibers is beginning to show up and just like every shortage in the past this one will end.

The only thing I am more tired of than the ammunition shortage is people complaining about it and making unsubstantiated vague statements about what local small gun shops are doing.

End Of Rant.....
Ron

gotigers
May 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
If you don't see a problem with it, then you have bigger problems.

I don't know a single person in this county that was happy with it. I think you're in the minority if you think it is ok.

Sounds like i hit to close to home. Some one's conscience is a bit touchy.

This thread is getting silly. I'll leave this garbage to others.

Reloadron
May 25, 2013, 07:20 PM
If you don't see a problem with it, then you have bigger problems.

I don't know a single person in this county that was happy with it. I think you're in the minority if you think it is ok.

Sounds like i hit to close to home. Some one's conscience is a bit touchy.

I never said I didn't see a problem with it. I said it is old news and it is a hundred threads deep. What I did say was there is ammunition out there to be had, I also said there was nothing stopping anyone from getting to the Wal-Mart or any retailer ahead of the so called scalpers and gougers.

Nobody is happy with it including myself. However, there are those of us who have seen it before and were and are prepared. I have also given away thousands of rounds of .22 LR and note I said given away not sold. There is nothing wrong with my conscience.

My location is in my post. Anyone around me who really needs .22 ammunition for a match is welcome to stop over and I'll give them some. They can repay me when ammunition is again available. That includes .22 LR Match ammunition. So spare me the conscience routine. I give the stuff to those who actually need it. I have also given away powder, primers and other components.

Silly? This thread like the hundred before it is old news. SSDD (Same Stuff Different Day).

Ron

ford8nr
May 25, 2013, 07:45 PM
Hate to say it but the .22 target/match stuff has been dried up for several months. Try to find Wolf, RWS or Elegy Match not at inflated prices. I know of at least 1 major on line retailer that just cancelled ALL .22 backorders due to uncertainty of filling them.

btg3
May 25, 2013, 07:59 PM
The aggregate LGS have fallen short of distinguishing themselves in this the past 6 months. "Support you local LGS" has lost some of its luster -- given that they are now shopping at the big box.

Why is econ 101 law of supply and demand such a mystery?
101 is freshmen college and not all have had that privilege.

ColtPythonElite
May 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hate to say it but the .22 target/match stuff has been dried up for several months. Try to find Wolf, RWS or Elegy Match not at inflated prices. I know of at least 1 major on line retailer that just cancelled ALL .22 backorders due to uncertainty of filling them.
I have bought some RWS, SK (Wolf by another name), and Lapua recently from internet vendors at regular prices. I just got a case of Lapua this week...I have friends that have been getting Eley on a regular basis..

mnrivrat
May 26, 2013, 12:00 AM
I still have a couple bricks of Winchester white box from the ones I bought at Cabela's for $7.77 a brick. It doesn't seem that long ago to me, but years pass faster as you age.

X-Rap
May 26, 2013, 12:11 AM
The econ lesson that's not talked of here is that of punishing the merchants that abused his customers.
Fair market value is an opinion based on need, screwing over the consumer is something much more obvious.

ford8nr
May 26, 2013, 02:45 AM
Colt, care to share at least ONE of your sources. I'm on wait lists on many sites and CMP has a 30 to 120 day expected wait time with orders from February still unfilled.

Husker1911
May 26, 2013, 02:54 AM
I'm banking on the market recovering, and .22lr ammo getting back to where it's been. I did call my local Boy Scout council, as I know they're struggling to supply ammo for their training purposes. I offered to donate two .22lr bricks to them. I told them if there were more needy nearby councils, they could share, with my approval.

I've always supported the BSA, nine ways to Sunday. I learned soooo much from Scouting. I know it's been mentioned on THR, but consider donating, gentlemen, to BSA. If you have a little ammo. I do, and so am willing to share.

BTW, this has nothing to do with their recent decisions.

Agent1209
May 26, 2013, 08:15 AM
I have bought 2,500 rounds at normal prices since January, down side is I had to pay shipping cost,most of it coming from Cabelas and Midway. Just have to stay on top of the site and be quick at ordering.

Reloadron
May 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
I have bought 2,500 rounds at normal prices since January, down side is I had to pay shipping cost,most of it coming from Cabelas and Midway. Just have to stay on top of the site and be quick at ordering.
Covers it nicely. The stuff is out there and just a matter of being vigilant. Cabela's and Midway have both been good sources online.

Ron

gotigers
May 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
MidwayUSA's, Cabela's and a few other stores, i use the notifications to tell me when 22 is back in stock. You have to be ready to buy. It sells out quick. The 22 ammo seems to be showing up fairly regular.

Clark
May 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
At a gun show last month I saw retail $20 bricks move at $60 and hold at $80.

The primer shortage from 2008 to 2010 saw the manufacturers run 3 shifts, but did not increase tooling. Russian primers entered the American market in a big way.

We could expect the 22 ammo to go the same way.
2013 to 2015.
I just bought a couple bricks of Polish 22 shorts.

NHCraigT
May 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
FWIW:

I just gave away about 300 + rounds of 22LR this weekend to some worthy friends in need.

All of it was actually purchased in the past 2 weeks at normal pricing (at LGS's)

Life During Wartime
May 26, 2013, 09:52 PM
In California,
Big 5 is still getting shipments of full bricks of .22, but they are gone within minutes. Ppl go to the store at 4 in the morning and earlier and wait just for the store to open and buy up the whole shipment

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!