Fransite gun grips

PDA

JohnM
May 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
Might be a few old timers here who know about this old company.
They made hundreds of styles of aftermarket grips from the 40s into the 60s.
The material they used was an early plastic.
I found some references that the stuff was similar to Tenite, I tried some repairs to that stuff back when I was restoring bamboo fishing rods.
I just found a nice set that fits an old gun I have of about the right vintage and want to mount them up. But, they're a bit warped, I used to see that on some old fly rod reel seats.
Does anyone know or remember if application of a little heat, like from a heat gun, would work to soften them enough to get the warp out? I can't remember if I ever tried putting heat to this stuff before and I don't want to ruin them.

Whoops, it's supposed to be Franzite.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fransite gun grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
erh
May 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hi John, my experience is that enough additional temperature to "Soften"
these is also the correct temp to shrink them unfortunately.

I hope, should you attempt it anyway, that you have better results then I...

-Eric!-

JohnM
May 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I seem to remember that's an issue.
It's also what these old grips are suffering from, they've shrunk enough that the screw holes don't match.
I've polished down the back sides some on my plate with some sand paper and have a pretty flush fit now. I might just egg a screw hole with a round Swiss file enough to keep strain from cracking the panels.

erh
May 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
'Good luck w/ it.. ;)

JohnM
May 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
For these it works fine :)
They'll work well till I can finally run across a set of correct factory grips.

Jim K
May 27, 2013, 02:24 PM
What gun? There are a lot of repro grips out there that are made from better plastic than the Franzite grips. And even wood repros for some guns.

Jim

JohnM
May 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
My old style frame Ruger Mark I.
Got a nice set of wood target grips, but found these old Franzite grips at a gun show Saturday I want to use.
Took a little hand work, but they're done now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fransite gun grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!