just moved to Austin TX

PDA

manhattan23
March 18, 2004, 01:23 AM
Finally made my escape from NYC. Can any established Austinites share what their favorite gunstores and ranges are?

Are there any mailing lists/discussion/activist groups/clubs from this area?

What's the shooting climate like here? The one in NYC is limited as you can guess.

I'm planning on checking out the Austin Rifle Club this weekend.

Manhattan23 (time to change my name eh?)

If you enjoyed reading about "just moved to Austin TX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dorrin79
March 18, 2004, 09:42 AM
Hey man, welcome to the area!

Depending on which side of town you live on, there are a couple of indoor 100yd ranges (one in South Austin, and one in Pflugerville). Both have a gun shoppe attached.

McBride's Guns on Lamar is especially good, although their prices tend to be high.

Academy sporting goods (there are several scattered around town) sells long guns and handguns at very reasonable prices.

There's also an outdoor range in Leander (Eagle Point) but they won't let you shoot FMJ out of a rifle there :rolleyes:

The Saxet gun Show is this weekend, and I'll be there looking for a few things Saturday morning.

I know there are several other THR members in the Austin area... maybe we should try to set up a shoot?

Coffee357
March 18, 2004, 10:39 AM
manhattan23,

Welcome to Austin! You found the only liberal spot in Texas! Not too bad, though. The Austin Rifle Club has a nice set-up but you have to be a member. Austin Skeet and Rifle (if still open) is a functional outdoor range and Reds owns ranges in Pflugerville and in Oak Hill (S-W Austin), as mentioned. Good gunstores are Reds (some prices high, some reasonable), Tex-Guns on Manchaca near Stassney (Good people - more expensive than they used to be - and a 3month lay-a-way:D ), and Heritage Guns on 183 @ Anderson Mill (overall good prices). Academy sells handguns and rifles at a reasonable price but they are not in the trade and return buisiness. No waiting period if you pass NICS - no NICS fee - and buy what you want, when you want. Gotta love this state!

Coffee

Greybeard
March 18, 2004, 10:42 AM
Congrats on The Great Escape. :D

Red's (mentioned above) is the only place I've shot when in Austin (other than DPS instructor schools). It's semi-unusual. 100-yard indoor, including rifles. Which is great for the guys sighting in their 300 Win Mags. But maybe not at the same time you are trying to get tuned up with a pistol ...

Welcome to Tejas! :)

Daniel T
March 18, 2004, 11:24 AM
Howdy!

I'll have to 2nd the recomendation for the Austin Skeet and Rifle Range. It's not really in Austin, but it's close, and it's most definitely still open. If you like indoor ranges (and I don't) then Red's is fine. Just buy your ammo somewhere else, because they are a bit on the expensive side.

Heritage is a decent gun shop, but my favorite spot is Detection, Inc (he also sells alarm systems). It's a bit of a hole-in-the-wall place, but Jim has the best prices on ammo in Austin, and his cost +10% prices are generally cheaper than other shops' cost +10%. Better distributors maybe.

McBride's is a nice shop, but their prices are high. I have noticed recently that they are marking down some of their stuff, so maybe they'll get more resonable. They are definitely the place to go if you want to handle something you plan on ordering elsewhere, since they have a huge variety of stock onhand.

I'm all for a shoot, just let me know when and where.

edit: sp

auschip
March 18, 2004, 11:24 AM
There is an outdoor range in Dripping SPrings - depending on your location it might be a bit of a haul, but they offer all kinds of shooting, and good prices. They also allow Class 3 stuff, so you might get to see some neat firepower that you might not see at other places.

El Tejon
March 18, 2004, 11:38 AM
In McBride's, turn LEFT once in the door for the guns.:D

Kenneth Lew
March 18, 2004, 11:44 AM
Class III. Go to subguns.com for dealers.

Shooterman
March 18, 2004, 12:14 PM
As you cxan see, Manhattan23, you've been welcomed with open arms into the shooting culture of Austin. Though I live in Beaumont, let me also welcome you to the Great Lone Star State. No place else like it. God gave us mountains, beaches, lakes, ( a little help from the Corps of Engineers ) desert, marshes and swamps, bayous, argurably the prettiest girls in the world, great hunting and fishing, and numerous other great attractions. He had to throw in 'skeeters, gators, Houston and Dallas, and a few other things one would prefer not to have, but that was just to make sure we Texans had something to look forward to in Heaven. Welcome.

Shooterman

TamThompson
March 18, 2004, 02:57 PM
My recommendation for the gun store with the best prices and friendliest service would be Heritage Guns, previously mentioned.

I usually go to Eagle Peak in Leander. Although you can't shoot FMJ out of rifles, you can shoot it out of pistols and the people there are very nice. A good class of shooters go there. I would avoid Austin Skeet & Trap (the one out in Manor), as I've seen gang members shooting there when I took my CHL test, and I've heard their safety is not so good.

Just a friendly word to the wise, to start you off on a good footing: there's an old bumpersticker around here that says something like, "Nobody around here gives a damn how anybody does anything up north." This is good advice. :)

Have fun!

manhattan23
March 18, 2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the information. So far I'm really enjoying living here. (all of 2 weeks) My impression is that everyone seems more friendly to strangers whereas New Yorkers are somewhat indifferent. The food is great, including the produce. The weather is much better this time of year too. :)

I would be down for an Austin shootin' meet.

-Manhattan23

alamo
March 18, 2004, 03:44 PM
Welcome!

I want to 2nd of couple of places already mentioned -

- Cost + 10% on Burnet Lane (not Burnet Road). Small selection but he can order for you, great prices. [Be sure to pronounce Burnet as "Burn-it" vs. "Bur-net", that way folks won't think you're from out-of-town, don't say Yo! or Geezzz either]

- Heritage Firearms. Nice folks, good prices.

Also, the previously mentioned Saxet (Texas backwards) Gunshow. It is MONTHLY, what a great deal. Some folks are probably lucky to see one once a year. It is 3rd weekend in every month.

Daniel T
March 18, 2004, 04:13 PM
I would avoid Austin Skeet & Trap (the one out in Manor), as I've seen gang members shooting there when I took my CHL test, and I've heard their safety is not so good.

Er, ok. I've been shooting there at least a couple times a month for years and I've never seen "gang members" there. Not sure what you're refering to by "their safety is not so good" either.

HankB
March 18, 2004, 04:34 PM
Welcome to Moscow on the Colorado.

This Sunday there's going to be an IDPA match put on by Texas Tactical at Hill Country Rifle Range just down Hamilton Pool Road west of Austin. Here's a link to TT website, which includes a map: http://mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html

TT also puts on carbine matches at HCRR once a month.

There's also an IPSC club that shoots out there once a month - Austin Lone Star Practical Pistol Club.

Both are run by good folks, safety is emphasized, and new shooters have always been welcomed.

So if you're into competition, you can shoot practically every weekend in the Austin area.

BTW, the actual owner of HCRR is a bit . . . eccentric . . . but you don't have to talk to him very much. There's rifle shooting available out to about 360 yards or so.

Maybe I'll see you - or other THR-ers - at the Saxet show. (Maybe we need a secret handshake or something to recognize one another . . .
;) )

Daniel T
March 18, 2004, 04:48 PM
Maybe I'll see you - or other THR-ers - at the Saxet show. (Maybe we need a secret handshake or something to recognize one another . . .

I'll be the big shaved-head guy talking to Mel at the General Firearms table while fondling all of his C&R pieces... :D

manhattan23
March 18, 2004, 05:32 PM
I'm already planning on going to the gun show on Saturday morning. Austin Rifle Club range orientation is Saturday afternoon. Which leaves Sunday open for the IDPA match but I've never done anything like that. Perhaps I'll just show up to check it out. I hope they allow spectators.

Looking forward to meeting all y'all. :)

Manhattan23

alamo
March 18, 2004, 05:40 PM
"Looking forward to meeting all y'all."

Yer learnin'

Drizzt
March 18, 2004, 07:01 PM
Just wear your Molon Labe hat to the gunshow, then everyone can recognize you...

brookstexas
March 18, 2004, 07:21 PM
Many changes await you, I can sell you a gun with no paperwork or you can sell me one without asking permission!
You can get started on getting your concealed carry license also if you choose and why wouldn't you? Another benefit of the CHL is no waiting when buying guns from a dealer.
BTW Austin has great culture and food, welcome and enjoy!
BT

Shooterman
March 18, 2004, 09:42 PM
I can't let all those Austinites have all the fun. If you decide to see a liitle of Texas, drive into East Texas. See the tall pines and stately old oaks. While there, swing on down into Southeast Texas, eat some great seafood and marvelous Cajun Cuisine. While here, if on a second or third Saturday, come shoot a Service Rifle Match or a Service Bolt Action Match, qualify for the opportunity to buy a M1 Garand from the CMP. Great bunch of guys. Hotels within 2 or 3 miles of the range. Even shoot a 600 yard match if you've a mind too. Every first Saturday of the month. We'll go to an all you can eat place of Bar-b-qued crabs, fried shrimp to die for, crab balls, fried catfish. Man, that's some good eatin'. LOL. Seriously, you'll probably love Austin, but if coming to Beaumont..........

brookstexas
March 18, 2004, 10:27 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasFirearms/

Images, links, ask questions, post free for sale ads etc.

Stand_Watie
March 18, 2004, 10:46 PM
Welcome to Texas, Manhattan. I think you're going to like it.

Bear in mind when you hear people talking about how "liberal" or "anti-gun" Austin is that they're talking about 'compared to the rest of Texas'. It's still great compared to Manhattan.

ChickenHawk
March 19, 2004, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the Austin area! You're going to love Texas.

Here's a link for a not-so-local training website in the general area. In addition to the training there, he's got a bunch of links and lists of local ranges and gun stores.

http://www.krtraining.com

As previously mentioned, I think Heritage Arms (183 and Anderson Mill) is one of the better gun stores around (price wise).

There's a Saxet gun show this weekend you might want to attend. Don't expect any miracles, but it's a decent show.

Regards,
ChickenHawk

manhattan23
March 19, 2004, 01:10 AM
I went to Red's indoor range on 290 west tonite and met some nice guys. One even let me shoot his MG.

I found out what qualifies as liberal in Texas. This gentleman had the local Travis County Sheriff, Margo Frasier sign off on a few transfers but she refused for some new ones because "he had too many" machine guns.

Now if thats the worst, it compares most favorably compared to New York County.

I applied for a Florida permit before I left NY so I will probably hold off on getting a TX one until I find some kind of work down here.

-Manhattan23

geojap
March 19, 2004, 09:49 AM
Welcome to Austin! Now will everyone quit moving here please??? Heh heh, just kidding dude.

Austin is a mixed-bag with firearms. There are lots of hippie-types that live here that don't care for firearms one bit. I don't resent them though, they are part of what makes Austin so unique. But this is Texas too, and in Texas firearms are part of our culture and we take that right very seriously here. You will find a mixed group here in Austin regarding firearms. Laws are very sensible. You can carry long weapons in your car (and on your person actually), except the usual places like a school, court house, jail, polling place, etc. You must be going to and from a sporting activity to have a handgun in your posession, and it should be unloaded with the ammo in a separate compartment (like the trunk) from the handgun itself (ie. in the cab of the car). If you don't want to do that, get a CHL and you can carry concealed. Typically, just be sensible around here using your common sense, stay within the law and you won't have any problems.

I second what everyone has said about Heritage Firearms and Tex Guns. I shop there for the C&R's that show up on their racks. I shoot at Red's down south on Highway 290 that you mentioned because it's only 10 minutes from my place. But it's a little cramped and with so much muzzle blast so close it's hard to concentrate if you are target shooting for groups. It's also $13 per hour, which is a little high for my liking. I usually go to the Austin Skeet and Rifle Range in Manor (10 miles east on Highway 290 towards Houston). They have targets out to 100 yards and it's open, lots of room, and $6 per gun and no time limit. I have never seen gang bangers there, but since it's close to the gun show location, I have heard that newbies that know nothing about firearms will take their newly purchased SKS or AK out there and it's a little obvious they don't know much about what they are doing. I have never seen anyone acting unsafely out there though. Most of the shooters I have seen and talked to there are very responsible people. It is a relaxed environment though, so I suggest if something inappropriate is going on, go talk to the range manager and then have a word with the offender. I have yet to make it out to the Hill Country Rifle range with the nutty owner and 300 yard ranges, but it's on my list. I need to take my FAL out there and see how it does at 300 yards.

Austin is the best city in the USA in my opinion. The best mix of people, so much to do for outdoor recreation with the greenbelts and lakes, and the music, food and other entertainment is just unbelievable. People are very friendly here. Enjoy it! South By Southwest is going on this week. There are 1,300 bands playing in town for the largest music festival in the country! Check out some of the free shows at Auditorium Shores tonight and tomorrow. Toots and the Maytals, Kris Kristofferson, Junior Brown, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Los Lonely Boys are playing for free. If you want to go PM or Email me and tag along with me and my friends. Other stuff going on this week: Willie Nelson is playing three shows in a row at a place called the Backyard and the UT women's basketball team luckily enough starts their NCAA tournament first round here at the Erwin Center on Sunday. Oh, and get ready for football. This town goes a little crazy in the Fall with highschool and college football madness. Saturday's in the Fall are like city-wide celebrations for Longhorn home games. For the past 50 years every good Texas father taught his son he will respect and never cuss: God, his mother and Darrel Royal. Hook 'em!

If you ever want to go shooting some weekend let me know.

I dunno if you've spent time in the south in the summer before, but get ready for July and August. 40 straight days of continual 100+ degree days are not uncommon.

brookstexas
March 19, 2004, 10:01 AM
check out
www.austin360.com -local info food, music etc. and http://www.tsra.com/ Texas state Rifle Assoc.
Seems we should get a bunch of the Austin area folk together for an event soon!
BT

lmccrock
March 19, 2004, 10:21 AM
I will second the suggestion of KR Training's site; I found it before I moved to Austin: AUSTIN GUIDE TO SHOOTING RANGES AND GUN CLUBS (http://www.krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML)

If I want to shoot a bunch of guns for a short time (or if the weather is bad), I go to Red's (south). 100 yards indoors? Yee-haaa!

If I want to shoot a few guns (1-2) then I go to Austin Skeet and Rifle, because he charges by number of guns. I have spent some time there recently testing magazines in a new AR. Never seen any gangsters, but I usually go on weekdays.

One time I went to Eagle Peak in Leander. The no-rifle-FMJ is annoying, but I was shooting handgun that day. I probably will not go back, it is at the other end of town. Match hollow point or ballistic tip rifle ammo is okay.

Hopefully in a few weeks my need for these will go away when I close on the house on acreage. :neener:

My competitions are all USPSA, so I need to go to San Antonio, etc., as well as Austin. But if I wanted to shoot IDPA, too, I would never need to leave the Hill Country Range. The Austin USPSA club (ALSPPC) shoots 3-gun on the 5th Saturday, when that happens, and Texas tactical does carbine matches every month.

Lee

Smoke
March 19, 2004, 01:16 PM
Dang don't scare him like that....

I dunno if you've spent time in the south in the summer before, but get ready for July and August. 40 straight days of continual 100+ degree days are not uncommon.

Actually that is unusual. Suffice it to say it will be danged hot though.

For the past 50 years every good Texas father taught his son he will respect and never cuss: God, his mother and Darrel Royal. Hook 'em!

An Insult, sir, to every Baylor, TExas Tech, TCU, SMU, etc fan in the great state of Texas. Texas is rabid for football, but my dad certainly taught me TO cuss Darrel Royal. :D GO FROGS!

Smoke

geojap
March 19, 2004, 01:22 PM
Smoke, are you talking about those glorified community colleges that Texas graciously allows onto the same field, and then proceeds to mop the field with their derriere? He heh, I'm just busting your chops.

Man, I can't wait until Fall again. Too much fun.

HankB
March 19, 2004, 01:24 PM
Which leaves Sunday open for the IDPA match but I've never done anything like that. Perhaps I'll just show up to check it out. I hope they allow spectators. If you have a pistol, a holster, some extra mags and a couple of mag pouches . . . bring them along. (Bring eye & ear protection and ammo, too.)

Shooting is more fun than looking.

If you've never fired IDPC/IPSC before, mention it to the match director - due allowances will be made, explanations given.

In your first match, DON'T worry about your score - there are no "prizes" other than pride in your performance. Just think about SAFETY and MUZZLE CONTROL.

New shooters are cut some slack in every category EXCEPT safety violations. Point your gun in the wrong direction, or drop a loaded gun, and you're through for the day.

Otherwise, have fun.

ahenry
March 19, 2004, 05:20 PM
For the past 50 years every good Texas father taught his son he will respect and never cuss: God, his mother and Darrel Royal. Hook 'em!
Hmm, didn’t know we allowed such types on this board. Gonna have to go re-think my membership now… ;)

Gig’em Aggies
Ahenry ‘00

Daniel T
March 19, 2004, 06:26 PM
geojap, I can't let you stand alone as the only TRUE Texan here. ;)

HOOK 'EM BABY!

Hopefully A&M will field a real team this year. :D

ahenry
March 21, 2004, 01:11 AM
Strange that one would term oneself a “TRUE Texan” based on ones attendance at the college that was founded second. Of course I suppose that is to be expected from the place that doesn’t send her students to fight in America’s wars but rather to protest them. :neener:

;)

jimb124
March 21, 2004, 01:42 PM
geojap & Daniel T - I forget...what was the score of the Texas Tech/Texas football game?

JimB :D

Jeff OTMG
March 27, 2004, 09:10 PM
With all the Austin people here we should all get together some night for BBQ at County Line, Rudy's, or Salt Lick (the one down south not the new 'fu-fu' version up north). Maybe Papadeaux's for some caujun. Just make it during the week so I can go.

Stand_Watie
March 27, 2004, 11:32 PM
Actually that is unusual. Suffice it to say it will be danged hot though.

Yeah, it's unusual but not unheard of. 40+ days averaging 96 degrees high are about typical I'd say...:scrutiny:

Hey, what's the difference between 95 and 100 anyway? It's hot. Real hot.

Drizzt
March 28, 2004, 01:30 AM
Jeff, I would vote for Rudy's myself. For Cajun, there's another spot near MoPac and William Cannon called Cypress Cafe, that has real good food, and don't cost as much as Papadeaux's.

Mr Kablammo
March 28, 2004, 04:59 PM
How about Vic's BBQ on 290 and Burleson? I think its the best that I have had in Austin.

Doc
March 28, 2004, 10:27 PM
we go to san anton/austin often,
and though my pre travel chant is:
RUDY'S,RUDY'S,RUDY'S

i gotta tell ya, i think the Salt Lick is better

Dan T you got it right BABY!

HOOK 'EM!

and heck i'm a yankee...:neener:

Drizzt
March 29, 2004, 12:02 AM
Oh, I won't deny that the Salt Lick is better, but so is Cooper's in Llano. It's just that either place could be a bit out of the way for a lot of folks. Rudy's is good, solid BBQ, though.

alamo
March 29, 2004, 11:02 AM
You boys need to make the pilgrimage over to Kreuz Market in Lockhart. It's always in the top 3 of BBQ places in Texas.

When he was Governor, W. used to go to Ironworks in Austin. Haven't been there yet.

geojap
March 29, 2004, 11:15 AM
The Ironworks is definitely very good BBQ. I haven't been there much but it is outstanding.

Lockhart, Luling and Llano have the best BBQ I've ever eaten though. Coopers in Llano and the City Market in Luling have the best BBQ I've ever eaten. Kreuzes and Smitty's in Lockhart are outstanding as well.

The City Market in Luling has the absolute best ribs I have ever had. I dream of them frequently, that's how good they are. Nothing else even comes close. I don't know how you could cook ribs any better than they do. The rest of their meat is outstanding as well. Unbelievable.

Coopers has these steaks and pork chops that are truly gargantuan and are cooked perfectly. Their steaks are probably 3 pound slabs and the pork chops are about 3 inches in height and weigh about 2 pounds. Their cobbler is amazing too.

I make field trips from Austin to these places about once a month.

Another place to check out is Sam's BBQ in east Austin. It's on east 12th Street near Chicon. It's open until 4am. Stevie Ray Vaughn used to go there after playing his shows on 6th Street. They have outstanding chicken that just falls off the bone.

Daniel T
March 29, 2004, 01:25 PM
Mmmmmm...BBQ...

Salt Lick (the real one) , Kreuz Market, and Cooper's in Llano are all great. Louie Meuller's in Taylor is also fantastic. Rudy's is amazingly good for a chain.

I like 'em all.

jimb124, I overlooked your question before, but I believe the answer is Texas 43 - Tech 40. :D

Bahadur
March 29, 2004, 08:18 PM
What is the crime rate -- both violent and perperty -- in Austin? How does it compare to the national average?

Is crime fairly evenly spread across the city OR is it highly variable based on neighborhoods?

Subjectively, is it a "safe-feeling" city in general?

brookstexas
March 29, 2004, 09:57 PM
Property crime is most prevelant. Overall crime is low and it is a very safe city. Serious crime is mostly in the "bad parts of town". Overall I feel it's one of the safest and frindliest cities I've ever lived in. Real "Live and Let Live " culture.
BT

geojap
March 29, 2004, 11:03 PM
Austin is an absolute cake walk compared to other major cities around the country. You can walk down any street, any time of day and not get hassled. Now, granted if you are walking in a "bad" neighborhood (Austin doesn't really have "bad" neighborhoods), you will get some strange looks possibly but nothing that is overtly threatening. This is compared to the time that I spent in LA and San Fran, when hoods would ask me what I was doing, and then say that if I didn't leave the area quick, they were going to jump my ass just to teach me a lesson for being in the wrong place. Nothing like that happens here at all. Murders and robbery randomly occur here (like anywhere else), but certainly not with the frequency of other cities. Austin is like Pee-Wee's Playhouse compared to San Antone, Houston and Dallas. People are generally very friendly here everywhere, no matter where you go. The worst you will find are drunk young'uns on 6th street that might take offense to you and want to fight for some stupid reason.

Sams BBQ that I mentioned above is in the middle of the "hood". I've gone there late into the wee hours (it's open til 4am) and not had a problem ever. Now, there might be sketchy people around on the street maybe, but they will leave you alone and are not really a threat.

Please, having said this, no more people move here, OK? ;) :) :)

Jeff OTMG
April 2, 2004, 04:10 AM
25 - 30 murders per year in a population of 600,000 seems pretty low to me. There isn't anywhere in Austin that I would feel unsafe walking through anytime day or night. I can't say that about every place.

J.J.
April 2, 2004, 04:36 AM
Make sure NOTHING of value is even remotely able to be seen or guessed at in your car.

Ohh can't forget all the bank robberies either.

And I don’t know about y'all but a few places on the East Side make me nervous. So does 6th street if you wander from the beaten path (a lot of little places that are dark and full of druggies, that is my experience at least)

drannor
April 2, 2004, 04:32 PM
A BBQ meetup would be great! Anyone care to organize? I need more shooting buddies.

Second the votes for Red's indoor range, particularly the north location. South is a bit hard on the hearing.

Austin is awesome, I've travelled most of the country and have yet to find a city that beats this place. Music, food, people, climate and beautiful geography.

I have yet to make it out to the Hill Country Rifle range with the nutty owner and 300 yard ranges, but it's on my list. I need to take my FAL out there and see how it does at 300 yards.

Do yourself a big favor and don't bother. "nutty" does not begin to describe the owner. You did know that two gay jewish men controlled hitler right? (Seems awfully counter productive on their part) Then there's the part about the UN being one of heads of the seven headed hydra. Or the evil letters of the alphabet. Not to mention his casual use of racial slurs. Of course, given my visit last year about this time the world should have ended by now, so perhaps he's moved on. Or he just predicts armegeddon as next month to anyone who will listen.

It's a real shame because it's a great location, with steel targets at up to 340 yards, reactive targets on a 25yd pistol ranges, and some beautiful scenery. Assuming you can get past the junkyard of old vehicles, vending machines, and years of green rusting brass everywhere. He doesn't like semi auto rifles at all, he even took some exception to my marlin lever action!?! I'd love to see this land fall into the hands of someone who took better care of it.

Drizzt
April 2, 2004, 11:46 PM
Second the votes for Red's indoor range, particularly the north location. South is a bit hard on the hearing.

well, yeah, but I live like 2 blocks from Red's south.... :p

drannor
April 3, 2004, 04:25 AM
well, yeah, but I live like 2 blocks from Red's south....

South is closer to work, home is about equidistant. I often take gun n00bs to the range and I find the north location to be much friendlier for accustomizing folks to the sights, sounds, and smell of an active indoor range. The south place hasn't been the same since they refurbished it, the sound deadening wasn't ever restored to the same level. I haven't shot there in over a year, perhaps that's changed.

The layout of the north range also gives a great deal more space behind the stalls for conferring with buddies or just taking a break. Also a great deal easier for the range officer to keep an eye on folks.

Of course I'm guilty of shooting the mule (Rem 700BDL SS in .300RUM) next to people shooting .22 target pistols at the south range. Lots of :what: from casual shooters after that thing goes off inside. I do not miss shooting it.

Definitely need to have an Austin range day.

If you enjoyed reading about "just moved to Austin TX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!