Update on the UN Arms Treaty?

PDA

DoubleMag
May 28, 2013, 09:28 AM
There was a post on this forum a while back where there was a trial vote for/against the UN Arms Treaty currently pending. I get emails & reg. mail from RKBA groups on this, stating it's getting ready to be signed by Pres O, then ratified by Senate. No posts here equal a non issue in my view, or am I missing something here.

basically whats the latest!

If you enjoyed reading about "Update on the UN Arms Treaty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
May 28, 2013, 09:49 AM
Mostly garbage information is being passed around.

The UN ratified the Small Arms Treaty, but it may be mostly symbolic since it has no binding/penalty components and many countries are not expected to adopt/ratify it. It's supporters are almost laughably naive in expecting a toothless UN "treaty" that isn't going to be international law in any meaningful sense to accomplish anything. Each country would have to ratify the treaty and we already know that Russia and China won't. It would also be impossible to get through the House and unlikely to get through the Senate for ratification and would be meaningless for any impact on us anyway if it did since it is essentially a "tattle tale" approach reporting on "illegal" traficking. Read the test for yourself and decide.

Although implementation is years away and there is no specific enforcement mechanism, proponents say the treaty would for the first time force sellers to consider how their customers will use the weapons and to make that information public. The goal is to curb the sale of weapons that kill tens of thousands of people every year — by, for example, making it harder for Russia to argue that its arms deals with Syria are legal under international law. ...

The treaty establishes an international forum of states that will review published reports of arms sales and publicly name violators. Even if the treaty will take time to become international law, its standards will be used immediately as political and moral guidelines, proponents said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/world/arms-trade-treaty-approved-at-un.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/world/arms-trade-treaty-approved-at-un.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

JRH6856
May 28, 2013, 04:00 PM
It would also be impossible to get through the House and unlikely to get through the Senate for ratification

It would be impossible to get through the House because it wouldn't go through the House in any event. Only the Senate ratifies treaties. The House as no role.

hso
May 28, 2013, 09:23 PM
DOH!

Good point.

Trung Si
May 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
It would be impossible to get through the House because it wouldn't go through the House in any event. Only the Senate ratifies treaties. The House as no role.

That is Correct and It will never make it in the Senate, not even close!;)

jack44
May 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
I read something that says that the little O and UN have a bill that dosent need the Senate to become LAW!.

Sam1911
May 29, 2013, 04:27 PM
I read something that says that the little O and UN have a bill that dosent need the Senate to become LAW!.Oh...since neither the President, nor any part of the UN may introduce a bill into the US Congress to even be considered for voting into law...how's that work exactly?

hso
May 29, 2013, 04:37 PM
I read something that says that the little O and UN have a bill that dosent need the Senate to become LAW!.

:scrutiny:

I know they didn't quit teaching how our government works because my daughter went through it in middle school last year so why would anyone believe anything so easily disproven?

LAWs are passed by Congress and the signed by POTUS. That's the only way anything becomes a law in the U.S.

Perhaps this will help ;)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

HD_Ride
May 29, 2013, 08:02 PM
hit this petition (http://www.nrastoptheungunban.com/petition.aspx?source=unpetitiona&ek=1330E10010)

jack44
May 30, 2013, 11:46 AM
I know how a bill become law but O dosent play by the rules!

Sam1911
May 30, 2013, 11:52 AM
Oh brother. "Doesn't play by the rules?" What in heaven's name does that even MEAN?

Yes, he bloody well DOES play by the rules, at least the rules of how government works -- things like passing laws and issuing executive orders, etc.

We've watched what he's been able to do as he and his team have DESPERATELY tried to make something happen out of the Sandy Hook tragedy. Frustrated nearly to the point of public tears, they've accomplished NOTHING on the federal level.

You think if he didn't "play by the rules" there wouldn't be a new AWB, a new mag ban, federal registration of all semi-autos, ... heck, how about even a teensy weensy little "universal background check" law? He can't do any of that -- couldn't get it done at the one moment he had the most support for it.

If he was able to break the rules in enacting law, he WOULD HAVE ALREADY.

kwguy
May 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
Very well said Sam1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Update on the UN Arms Treaty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!