Extra Features

PDA

TechBrute
March 18, 2004, 02:09 AM
Could we turn on the feature of the board that allows the one touch quote. I also like the "quick reply" box at the bottom of a thread.

Let me know if you don't know what I mean.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extra Features" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
March 18, 2004, 02:26 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=64144

Been asked before, a time or two. ;)

pax

TechBrute
March 18, 2004, 02:39 AM
Ok, I don't get it. I get the "reasoning" behind disabling it, but where has this "abuse" occured? I read through most of the many, many links to similar discussions and the moderators alluded to the abuse, but then it was stated that it was never turned on and was disabled in TFL, as well. <scratches head>

Why isn't it a problem on the other boards that use it? :confused: Y'all make it out like enabling the quote button would spell instant doom on this forum and the exponential usage of the quoting would be the downfall of civilization. Yet most other boards I frequent don't have these issues. Not trying to be a smarty pants, but is our user base the problem?

Oh yeah, what about the "quick reply" window?

tyme
March 18, 2004, 03:21 AM
It has occurred. It doesn't take very many occurrences before the time it takes people to read the unnecessary quotes becomes greater than whatever marginal benefit the quote button may provide.

It shouldn't take any more time to cut-n-paste. The time that takes should be less than the time it takes to delete irrelevant stuff from a reply that quotes an entire post.

The quick reply box is a vbulletin3 thing.

P95Carry
March 18, 2004, 06:48 AM
The quick reply box is a vbulletin3 thing If Rimfirecentral is anyhting to go by (IMO) .... VBulletin V3 sux. YUK!!

Mal H
March 18, 2004, 08:34 AM
TechBrute, The "Reply with Quote" feechur was enabled on TFL for a long time until we finally disabled it after a lot of abuse of it. You would find multiple posts in a thread where several paragraphs would be quoted followed by a single word response or even just a smiley emoticon. It will not be used here.

If we become so lazy that we can't pick out (cut) the pertinent sentence or two from a previous post and quote using the several, easy to use, methods of quoting (paste inside quote tags or use the quote button), then why bother quoting at all?

If you enjoyed reading about "Extra Features" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!