Shipping: What pistol parts can I ship.

PDA

spearsgary
May 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
Say I want to ship a pistol to a friend. Or to myself for that matter. Say from Colorado to Alaska. What single part of that pistol is consider the gun by the ATF or the USPS. I can ship the magazine without using an FFL dealer. I can sip the trigger group without using an FFL dealer. I would think that some part like the barrel would be illegal to send without sending it threw an FFL dealer. Just curious. What's to stop a person from mailing an entire gun in separate peaces. Thus avoiding shipping a pistol and the FFL dealer? That would be to easy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping: What pistol parts can I ship." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kostyanj
May 31, 2013, 12:38 PM
for a pistol it's the frame. For a rifle it's the receiver.

Sam1911
May 31, 2013, 12:47 PM
The answer varies depending on what gun you're talking about. For all guns made commercially after 1968, it's the serialized part (though there may be serial numbers on several parts).

For most rifles, that's the action or receiver. Though if the rifle has a two-part receiver, it will be one or the other. (AR-15, lower receiver. FAL, upper receiver, etc.)

For most handguns it's the receiver, which will generally include the grip frame.

(A very few, like a Ruger Mk.1, II, or III, it isn't -- rather the tubular receiver which holds the bolt and barrel together is the serialized part.)

iflyem1
June 1, 2013, 03:00 AM
You can't ship a hand gun via USPS unless YOU are an FFL. You can ship a handgun via FedEx or UPS but it will cost you mucho dinero and it must ship to an FFL. They want the gun shipped overnight and that usually runs over $50 depending on location.

Gun parts can be shipped because they are just that, parts. Like others have said for pistols the gun is the frame, not the slide or barrel, for rifles it's the receiver.

larryh1108
June 3, 2013, 08:51 PM
Shipping the frame only saves a lot on overnight shipping. If you strip a 1911 and just mail the frame, you can ship or travel with every other part and the freight for the frame will be a lot cheaper than mailing the entire gun. If you go thru an FFL, you can ship a frame only in the fixed price box of around $6 plus the FFL fee. If you ship it yourself, the frame only may be $40-$50 in a small package. Paying to mail all the other parts is a waste of money when you are talking overnight shipping.

Twmaster
June 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
It is perfectly legal to ship yourself a gun between states. It should be addressed to you and only YOU are allowed to open the package. As others have pointed out, unless you are an FFL dealer shipping to another FFL dealer you cannot ship a handgun via the Postal Service.

ATF rules on the subject: (from http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9)

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

dogtown tom
June 3, 2013, 11:20 PM
larryh1108 Shipping the frame only saves a lot on overnight shipping. If you strip a 1911 and just mail the frame, you can ship or travel with every other part and the freight for the frame will be a lot cheaper than mailing the entire gun. If you go thru an FFL, you can ship a frame only in the fixed price box of around $6 plus the FFL fee. If you ship it yourself, the frame only may be $40-$50 in a small package. Paying to mail all the other parts is a waste of money when you are talking overnight shipping.
It won't save you a dime. Weight of assembled handgun vs stripped frame? ..............not enough to affect the cost of shipping.

Stripping a handgun down to the frame doesn't change the fact that it is a handgun.
Ship a handgun frame via USPS?...........not unless you are a dealer or manufacturer. And a small flat rate box is $6 without insurance or signature required on delivery.

Ship a handgun frame via UPS or FedEx? ............it's still a handgun and per their tariffs must go Next Day/Overnight.

larryh1108
June 3, 2013, 11:33 PM
It won't save you a dime. Weight of assembled handgun vs stripped frame? ..............not enough to affect the cost of shipping.

Stripping a handgun down to the frame doesn't change the fact that it is a handgun.
Ship a handgun frame via USPS?...........not unless you are a dealer or manufacturer. And a small flat rate box is $6 without insurance or signature required on delivery.

Ship a handgun frame via UPS or FedEx? ............it's still a handgun and per their tariffs must go Next Day/Overnight.

My post clearly stated that if you go thru an FFL it can be shipped in a fixed rate box. Add insurance and delivery signature and if the FFL fee is low enough (varies by dealer) it can be much cheaper to mail it this way than being required to ship it by FedEx or UPS overnight. Also, last I checked, the overnight services charge by weight and/or package size so a 20oz 1911 frame will be a lot cheaper to ship overnight in a smaller box than a 36oz complete 1911 in a bigger box. As you are well aware, overnight charges are ridiculous.

oneounceload
June 3, 2013, 11:38 PM
Shipping the frame only saves a lot on overnight shipping. If you strip a 1911 and just mail the frame, you can ship or travel with every other part and the freight for the frame will be a lot cheaper than mailing the entire gun.

If you are traveling up there, why ship at all? Declare it and put it in your luggage and save the fees

by weight and/or package size so a 20oz 1911 frame will be a lot cheaper to ship overnight in a smaller box than a 36oz

Weight is rounded up to the next pound

medalguy
June 7, 2013, 12:37 AM
Shipping it yourself requires overnight shipping. Mucho $$$$$. If an FFL ships it, it can go Priority Mail for a fraction of the cost, most certainly enough to cover the FFL fee.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping: What pistol parts can I ship." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!