Shrinking images?

PDA

230RN
May 31, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm having trouble shrinking an image to fit in the screen without the reader having to scroll back and forth to see the whole thing.

Someone once said

notice that by adding "width=800" inside the [IMG] tag ([IMG width=800]) the image fits nicely on the page without scrolling

I've tried this syntax and all kinds of combinations, with and without quotes on either the image url or the command width=800, before and after the image URL, inside and outside of the brackets, etc., and all it does is print the text of the whole command on the saved posting.

Yes, I know I can shrink the image using Paint or other image-editing software and re-saving it on my image site (and I've done this in the past), but that's kind of a pain and the convenience of shrinking an image to suit the site framing by using one simple command would be just nifty.

Using the curley-cue brackets { } instead of the straight tag brackets [ ], can someone show me the correct syntax for this before I go wonker-dilly-booger-doo?

The image I am trying to shrink is the one of the black range bag at

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8951991&postcount=36

Thanky-poo-widdley-doo in advancey-loo.

Terry

If you enjoyed reading about "Shrinking images?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
May 31, 2013, 08:22 PM
Once upon a time I made a site-wide mod to do exactly that, and got lots of complaints from it. Too big for some, too small for others, and so on.

Other than that, I'm not aware of a way to do what you're asking. Maybe with an add-in that changes the BB code, but if so we're not running it.

powell&hyde
May 31, 2013, 08:28 PM
I use gimp with linux but when I'm on a windows machine they have the powertoy's for windows to shrink images. Here is your pic gimped. ;)

230RN
May 31, 2013, 09:19 PM
^ OK, thanks, I moved the full PHP link up there and the post no longer requires scrollng.

But as I mentioned, I can do that in MS-paint with the Stretch/Skew function under the Image tab.

What I wanted to know was the correct sequence/syntax to do it within the {IMG} tab which would be quick and adaptible to any of my pix on any board without re-saving the smaller (or larger) picture on my image site.

Derek Zeanah
June 1, 2013, 02:24 AM
What I wanted to know was the correct sequence/syntax to do it within the {IMG} tab which would be quick and adaptible to any of my pix on any board without re-saving the smaller (or larger) picture on my image site.
And I don't think we can. There may be a way to modify the code (since this is all one big program running on the web server anyway), but if so I don't know anything about it.

230RN
June 1, 2013, 04:46 AM
Aw, rats. OK, maybe it was just on the specific board I read it on.

I'll just go back to the sizing function I was using, when necessary.

Thanks, anyhow.

Terry

230RN
June 1, 2013, 01:54 PM
ADDENDUM:

I just found another one (not mine).

I appreciate the high resolution (great picture), but had to scroll back and forth to appreciate it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8948083&postcount=89

Mal H
June 1, 2013, 02:32 PM
230RN - Actually, the linked image above fits nicely on my screen as did the first image you linked in post 1 before resizing it. I don't have a huge monitor and I don't use a maximized window. Are you viewing with a low resolution (e.g., 800 X 600) , or on a phone? I have seen ultra-large images posted at times, but they are in a 2k X 1k or larger format.

9mmepiphany
June 1, 2013, 07:33 PM
That image fits fine in my monitor too

230RN
June 2, 2013, 02:07 PM
Aha! The problem is that since my main machine quit, I've been working off an ancient Compaq Armada laptop with an external monitor plugged into it.

Apparently, I got so used to the automatic "Shrink to fit window" function on the newer machine, that I didn't realize that the problem was inherent in the laptop, which I set to a larger font/screen area for "Old Pharte" readability.

Thanks for the hints, which led me to this "epiphany."

Problem (sorta) solved. Kinda.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shrinking images?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!