ruger receiver plug screws question

PDA

greyling22
June 1, 2013, 05:24 PM
are all the scope plug screws the same size on ruger rimfires? I have a mkiii stainless that needs 3, and they are here http://shopruger.com/B-83-SS-MK-I-II-III-SCOPE-BASE-FILLER-SCREW-SS-3-REQD/productinfo/61134/ for $2 each, or I can get a 4 pack for $2 here for a 10/22 http://shopruger.com/C-83-10_22-Stainless-Set-4-Filler-plug-Screws/productinfo/60045/

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger receiver plug screws question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kp321
June 1, 2013, 08:12 PM
They are 6-48 like the majority of scope mount screw holes. Your local smith might have some for less than mail order price. Save the postage at least. If you came to my shop, I would give you a couple.

greyling22
June 1, 2013, 09:37 PM
so they are both the same thread pitch? 6-48? they might just need to be shortened a bit?

I appreciate the offer of screws, but I work out in west tx enough. I"ll stay right here where it is humid and green for now thank you.

rcmodel
June 1, 2013, 09:49 PM
they might just need to be shortened a bit?No, you need 6-48 Plug Screws.
http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/images/GS-C_6-48_02.JPG

They should be fine as too length.

rc

aladdin
June 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
So does any one know if the 10/22 plug screws will work for a Mk III pistol. Inquiring minds want to know. Or to put it another way can any one answer the original question.

Reloadron
June 27, 2013, 07:44 PM
So does any one know if the 10/22 plug screws will work for a Mk III pistol. Inquiring minds want to know. Or to put it another way can any one answer the original question.
Yes, they are all 6-48 threads.

On another note when removing or replacing plug screws or any screws on a gun make sure to use a screwdriver made for gun screws. I have seen countless screws ruined over the years as a result of people using the wrong type of screwdrivers. Also, when buying plug screws it is wise to buy some extra ones as they are tiny and do tend to escape captivity and can be very elusive when looking for them. :)

Ron

BBBBill
June 27, 2013, 07:59 PM
...when removing or replacing plug screws or any screws on a gun make sure to use a screwdriver made for gun screws. I have seen countless screws ruined over the years as a result of people using the wrong type of screwdrivers.

Absolutely agreed! This should be prominently printed on every page of the owner's manual. If it were, maybe a few gun owners would actually see it and comprehend.

Jim K
June 27, 2013, 10:22 PM
For plug screws, screwdriver blade width is important. With many screws, the blade can be a bit larger than the screw head, but with plug screws a blade wider than the screw diameter will score the metal around the screw hole. There are Allen plug screws, but I don't like Allen screws on general principles as they strip too easily.

Jim

BBBBill
June 28, 2013, 06:55 AM
It all goes back to what they taught me in the Army, reinforced at every school from basic through CGSC - Attention to detail!

If you enjoyed reading about "ruger receiver plug screws question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!