Looking for some AR optics advice

PDA

Matt Dillon
June 6, 2013, 12:06 AM
Folks, I am looking at putting a 2-7 scope on my new Windham SRC, but I would also look to run a small simple red dot scope simultaneously. I will be installing the xs XTI iron sights as well. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might mount the s ope and RFD simultaneously? Thanks so much in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for some AR optics advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dbb1776
June 6, 2013, 12:44 AM
I have a Leupold VxR 1-4. I feel it's the best of both worlds. Magnification or not, with a dot if you want it. Easy to bust clay pidgeons at 100 yards.
They make picatinny scope rings that you can mount a micro red dot or other sight.
You'd have your main scope then your red dot mounted on top of it.
No experience with that setup just spitballing

dbb1776
June 6, 2013, 12:48 AM
B-Comp 30mm Ring System. Don't see it for a 1 inch tube but you get the idea

basicblur
June 6, 2013, 12:54 AM
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might mount the s ope and RFD simultaneously?
I'm doing research on the same thing - got a 15-22 that I'm using as a test mule!

Someone more familiar with it than I will be along shortly I'm sure, but I'm kinda thinking 'bout going with an offset mount for a red dot, etc. - like you see in 3-gun competition.
Got a friend that's looking at an ACOG with an RMR on top, but after I told him about the offset mounts, he's now researching them instead of mounting the RMR on top of the ACOG.

Google Offset Red Dot Mount for plenty of reading / research!

If you have a Walmart close by, check the end aisle for a rack with Gun Digest books - our local store has an AR book (one of about three?) that covers optics and has a lot of pictures of different mounting systems, many which are popular in 3-Gun.

Don't remember the exact name of the book, but in two Walmart's I've been in, they both had a rack with nothing but Gun Digest books - not a bad place to start research?

Lucifer_Sam
June 6, 2013, 09:39 AM
If you're interested, amazon has a set of offset sights that are 35$. They seem fine, I have a pair. Cobra tactical or something.

As for the red dot, the only place I can think you could put it on that rig would be mounted on the scope. I guess you could buy a few offset mounts, and use flip up BUIS and the dot.

basicblur
June 6, 2013, 10:04 AM
This might give you some ideas?
Jerry Miculek's AR-15 (http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4)

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for some AR optics advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!