Scope suggestions for a Ruger 96/44M

PDA

bikemutt
June 7, 2013, 01:14 PM
I want to scope up my Ruger 96/44 mag lever rifle for the range and maybe a hog hunt some time, all in the 100 yard range +/-.

Right now I'm considering a Weaver Classic K-Series in either 4x or 6x, or maybe a used Leupold M8 in similar magnification. Need to stay with a 1" tube, those Ruger rings ain't cheap.

I definitely want to keep the lightweight feel and balance of the rifle is the reason I'm figuring on a fixed magnification scope. Plus I just want to keep this one simple.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from team-THR, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope suggestions for a Ruger 96/44M" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Haxby
June 7, 2013, 03:59 PM
I like the new Weaver K's. Picked up a 4X28 last year, and it's very nice. They call it a rimfire model, but it should work just fine on a 44.

jmr40
June 9, 2013, 08:23 AM
In my opinion 4X is too much magnification for 90% of your uses. Instead of a 4X or 6X fixed power I'd find a 1-4X variable more useful.

Jackal
June 12, 2013, 01:54 AM
2-5 like my Pentax.

Outlaw Man
June 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
I agree that you'd probably be better suited with a 1-4x. I understand your weight and simplicity concerns, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope suggestions for a Ruger 96/44M" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!