Monocular Suggestions Needed for Hunting

PDA

Double Naught Spy
June 7, 2013, 06:55 PM
Here is what I think I need and the specifications. Does anyone have any good suggestions, especially makes or models they have used that they like?

I am looking to improve my vision considerably out to 300 yards for prey identification for transiting into the stand in the last hour before dark or out of the stand after sun up. Currently, none of the places I hunt have a FOV over 300 yards. While I can often identify animals at that distance well enough with my naked eyes in bright sunlight, in lower light conditions I often find this to be very challenging and so this is where I need help.

Price Range <$150
Magnification somewhere in the range of 4x and 10x
Durable enough to be tossed in a game pouch with other gear
Good light gathering capability because will mostly be used in late evening or early morning, so probably >30mm objective lens
Lanyard attachment would be a bonus - plan to wear around neck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Monocular Suggestions Needed for Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CB900F
June 7, 2013, 07:19 PM
Double Naught;

Look to Vortex. I've got a 10X mono of theirs that I'm satisfied with. It has a mil-dot reticle too, which makes it really nice for size/range estimations. The optical quality is better than the price would indicate. I think I paid about $120.00 for mine a year and a half ago.

900F

rcmodel
June 7, 2013, 09:30 PM
I'd consider 8X tops.

I have 8x & 10X 'pretty good' $350-$400 binoculars, and I'm here to tell you the image is easier to hold steady with the 8x unless you can brace them over a solid support.

A tremor at 10x negates the lesser magnification clarity of the 8x every time.

I have half a U.S. Army 6x30 B&L binocular I use as my hunting monocular, and it works quite well for ID'ing game in morning & evening.

rc

rodregier
June 9, 2013, 07:03 PM
Vortex 8x36 has good brightness, lanyard point, waterproof, etc. Price point is in your range. The retractable eyecup is great for glasses users too.

Non-exclusive source:

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Solo-8x36mm-Monocular/dp/B003DMJ81Y/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics

Double Naught Spy
June 9, 2013, 09:57 PM
Yeah, that is the direction I am going. I had asked for suggestions here and on two other boards and the other options don't appear to match up to the Vortext 8x36 within my price range. So now it is just a matter of whether to splurge on the version with the ranging reticle or not.

Thanks for the insights and the cautionary note as well.

Lloyd Smale
June 10, 2013, 07:47 AM
Ive got one of the vortex and its a decent piece but trying to judge trophys quality or just plain glassing for me with a monocular just doesnt work. Id rather put up with the extra weight of a decent pair of binoculars.

taliv
June 10, 2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513191?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Binoculars-_-PriceCompListing-_-513191&gclid=CK-e39bD2bcCFfHm7Aod4z4A0w

i've got that vortex 8x36 with the reticle. it is awesome. i used to pack around the vulture HD binos http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/vulture_binoculars. they are friggin awesome, but so heavy and bulky. replacing it with the little monocular was worth the trade off for weight for me.

i got the monocular off the MO Masters Benefit PRS match prize table. The binos I got off the sample list. both really are very useful. the HD glass is impressive

CB900F
June 10, 2013, 12:19 PM
Fella's;

Due to eye conditions, I cannot use binoculars. Therefore, I've been using mono's for quite a few years. The overall availability & quality has greatly improved I'm glad to say.

The proof of that is that my previous mono was a Zeiss that I dearly loved. However, it decided to "go to the wild". I replaced it with my current Vortex 10X mil-dot that I posted about above. The Vortex is larger & heavier with not just quite the optical quality. But, it cost about one fifth as much as replacing the Zeiss. That was a no contest decision.

The Zeiss was an 8X, the Vortex a 10X. I had very little trouble getting used to & stabilizing the higher magnification. I also very much like the ability to focus not only the view, but the reticle is an independent focus also with a large easy to use ring. For an approx. $120.00 I don't think you can go wrong.

900F

Double Naught Spy
June 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
The Zeiss was an 8X, the Vortex a 10X. I had very little trouble getting used to & stabilizing the higher magnification. I also very much like the ability to focus not only the view, but the reticle is an independent focus also with a large easy to use ring. For an approx. $120.00 I don't think you can go wrong.

CB900F, you are going to have to help me out here. No matter how much I search, I cannot find any Vortex 10x monocular with a ranging reticle in it that is under $120. There is the 8x version and there are 10x versions with no reticle, but not both...not that I can find.

Could you provide a link?

CB900F
June 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
Double Naught;

Apologies! I finally got time to dig out the Vortex & rely on the mark I eyeball instead of memory. It is indeed an 8X.

900F

Double Naught Spy
June 14, 2013, 05:38 AM
Cool, that is what I ordered and it works great!

If you enjoyed reading about "Monocular Suggestions Needed for Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!