Found a Python today

PDA

JD_LION
June 7, 2013, 10:11 PM
It's a 1966 6" .357 Colt Python. What's the value on these? It has a few blemishes and scratches.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found a Python today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Archaic Weapon
June 7, 2013, 10:14 PM
I don't know, but I will say it still looks pretty.

788Ham
June 8, 2013, 12:51 AM
Depending on the smoothness of the action, lock-up, and depending on how bad the scratches are, $800 to $1200. Box come with it?

Theres a guy on this forum, ColtPythonElite, who knows these better than anyone, hopefully he'll see this and chime in.

If not too badly scratched up, nice revolver, I have a 6" Blue, 84 model.

4v50 Gary
June 8, 2013, 01:00 AM
Nickel plated and Ivory grips?

ColtPythonElite
June 8, 2013, 01:44 AM
Nickel adds value. Scratches, blemishes, and lack of original grips take away. If the grips are not synthetic or bonded they are probably worth as much as the originals, though. I think $1000 would be top dollar for me.

Ham,

Thanks for the compliment.

JD_LION
June 8, 2013, 07:47 AM
Okay, thank you. I paid $500. No box, the action is nice and tight and shoots like a dream. Are the grips real ivory? What grips originally came stock on the nickel models? I purchased from the original owner but didn't ask if the grips were factory. Thanks again.

ColtPythonElite
June 8, 2013, 08:21 AM
It came with wood grips.

Take one of yours off, heat a pin with a lighter and press the hot pin into the back of the grip. If it sinks in, they are plastic.

OilyPablo
June 8, 2013, 08:25 AM
$500.

Nice.

JD_LION
June 8, 2013, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the help ColtPythonElite. Heated up a dental pick with a blow torch and....they're plastic. I need to check if he still has the original grips. I'll now be definitely getting some rubber grips and shoot the s**t out of it. Anyone recommend a specific brand of rubber grips for the Python, or some nice wood shooting grips? thanks again.

tarosean
June 8, 2013, 08:59 AM
I paid $500.

:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::(

dang why cant I find those deals...

j frame
June 8, 2013, 10:07 AM
I don't know where you guys find $800.00 Pythons at, but in North Alabama, that is an impossibility. The CHEAPEST I've seen one has been $1500.00, and it goes WAY up from there around here. Nice score!

OilyPablo
June 8, 2013, 10:11 AM
I don't know where you guys find $800.00 Pythons...

It was $500!! :D I've seen two below $1000 in the last 3-4 years. But most are $1200+.

Anyway, OP just start shopping the net for grips. They exist.

CleanDean
June 8, 2013, 10:30 AM
Nickeled Pythons are sweet lookin' & a little more valuable. Your little scratches and hazy finish can be brightened -up with some "Mother's Mag-Wheel polish. Don't go "Gorilla "on it . The plating is very thin, and the copper underneath will make an appearance. Hogue grips feel good to me as, my fingers are med. ( not chubbies) Your choice .....a fine retro. look ,is stickin' to wood ,replacements. A good find, and price was excellent. Good trigger-time to you.

mgkdrgn
June 8, 2013, 01:06 PM
I've got one listed on GB right now ... currently at $1800+

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=346168775

chez323
June 8, 2013, 03:05 PM
at $500 you got a screamin deal! They are beautiful guns....... and great shooters! Here's a pic of mine, cost me way more than that....

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j426/chez323/DSC02815_zps0ae32133.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/chez323/media/DSC02815_zps0ae32133.jpg.html)

Arizonagunrunner
June 8, 2013, 06:39 PM
Nice weapon. Inflated price is $1200 to $1400. Actual price should be no more then $750.00. I know I'd never pay more than that for a Python. I refuse to pay todays prices for anything.
I am glad I got all mine years ago.I do wish I would have never gotten rid of my 6in King Cobra. They are way more $$ then what they are actually worth.

RustHunter87
June 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
Nice Find!

dfariswheel
June 8, 2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone recommend a specific brand of rubber grips for the Python, or some nice wood shooting grips? thanks again

The recommended rubber grips are the Hogue rubber Mono-Grip, or the Pachmayr Professional Gripper.
The Professional Gripper exposes the back strap of the frame and gives a shorter reach to the trigger.
The Mono-Grip is a favorite of Colt shooters for the more compact size, and the very solid mount on the frame which eliminates shifting of the grips.

For wood there are a good many choices.
Again, the fancy wood Hogue Mono-Grip is very popular.
Also the last type Colt Python grip with finger grooves made of laminated wood.
You can buy them direct from Colt:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/tabid/62/ProdID/317/CatID/43/Default.aspx

You can also buy nice wood grips from Eagle, Gungripsupply, Badger, and Altamont.

JD_LION
June 8, 2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the grips dfariswheel. that was very well done.

I found out that the grips are ivory and not plastic like I thought. The dental pick left a tiny mark from being sharp and burning the ivory. I had a friend confirm as soon as he saw them that they were real ivory. The original owner said they were ivory but we all know how that can be false. I knew the Python had always been a desirable revolver. I thought it was worth $700-800 when I made the offer but was surprised later after seeing completed auction prices. Didn't realize that I was stealing it at $500. Cool.

BADSBSNF81
June 9, 2013, 02:49 AM
Basically, you bought the grips and the revolver was a bonus.:D

JD_LION
June 9, 2013, 07:38 AM
Another picture of my $500 Python. Are the ivory grips worth $500? I can't find much info or pics to compare with mine. I ordered some Hogue rubber grips for it.

tarosean
June 9, 2013, 07:50 AM
Real Ivory grips generally are around 350+ for any gun..

bikemutt
June 9, 2013, 09:01 AM
The last nickel Pythons I saw for sale were at the local gun show, they were all pretty rough and about used up, none of them were being offered under $900. $500 for any Python is a steal.

Swing
June 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
Five C-Notes? You did very well. :)

gulogulo1970
June 9, 2013, 04:28 PM
You stole that Python. That's a good price even ten or fifteen years ago. Now that is an insanely good deal! Good find.

Comrade Mike
June 9, 2013, 04:30 PM
I am exceedingly jealous

highpower
June 9, 2013, 08:46 PM
Great buy!!! And I thought I got a deal on my 1964 Python at /$850.

Dr_B
June 9, 2013, 10:09 PM
Ooohhh my, my, my. So sweet.

JohnBT
June 9, 2013, 10:25 PM
Nutmeg Sports makes new ivory grips for Pythons.

www.nutmegsports.com/price_list_fr.htm

Only $499 plus $11 shipping and insurance.

JD_LION
June 10, 2013, 09:48 PM
Your little scratches and hazy finish can be brightened -up with some "Mother's Mag-Wheel polish.

I bought some Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish today and WOW, JUST WOW. I can't believe how a light polish made this thing look so nice. Absolutely stunning, made it look brand new, the bright nickel finish is beautiful.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I put a box of 50 through it this weekend and now it looks as nice as it shoots. Amazing revolver.

OilyPablo
June 10, 2013, 10:07 PM
would you just stop talking about it..... :)

Just kidding. We DEMAND more pictures!

JD_LION
June 10, 2013, 10:32 PM
I really suck at photography. Here's the best I can do.

JD_LION
June 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
One more. I can't capture the true beauty of the finish. Now I want a Royal Blue version. :banghead:

OilyPablo
June 10, 2013, 10:46 PM
Very nice still.

Byrd666
June 10, 2013, 11:08 PM
VERY NICE!

The last Python I handled sold for $2400

ColtPythonElite
June 11, 2013, 12:35 AM
When shooters start going for $2400, I am selling out.

leadcounsel
June 11, 2013, 12:41 AM
I foolishly passed on a $600 blued Python during the gun scare of 2009 when I was looking for a AR15. Still kicking myself. Probably worth twice that.

A $500 nickel Python in that condition! Wow. Incredible find. Probably worth 3x what you paid.

leadcounsel
June 11, 2013, 12:44 AM
One thought. I don't have one nor have ever shot one. But if you are at all unsure about it, you might consider capturing a huge profit and buying a more affordable but equally good revolver.

Sell it for $1500, then buy a $500 GP100 and pocket the grand.... as a thought.

Or just keep the Python for a great story.

ColtPythonElite
June 11, 2013, 01:04 AM
Shoot it. If it gives you mechanical problems, Colt works on them everyday. Even, if you figured out how to render it irrepairable you could part it out for at least your initial investment.

nwilliams
June 11, 2013, 01:36 AM
With the way Python prices have skyrocketed in the past couple years you seriously stole that gun for $500!

You could probably get three times what you paid for it if you sold it on Gunbroker. However I would keep it and love it! There really aren't that many production revolvers ever made on the quality level of the Python it's truly a work of perfection which is why they are only becoming more and more desirable as time goes by. A decade ago $500 for an excellent condition Python was about average, now you are lucky to find one in good condition for less than $1,000 and excellent condition examples are going for $2,000 or more these days.

Jim Watson
June 11, 2013, 01:45 AM
I have a couple of well used Pythons. I wonder what I could clean them up and sell out for.
One has some Tedford in its blood, the other is a Jungkind.

j frame
June 11, 2013, 05:04 PM
I've never owned a Python; always been a Smith guy. However, I've always WANTED one, preferably in four inch or shorter, and again preferably, in blued or stainless. The OP's gun is really sharp, but I've been told that Colt's nickeling process isn't quite as good as S&W's, and that it will rub thru to the copper faster than an S&W.

ridgerunner1965
June 11, 2013, 08:54 PM
bac k in the day id say late 80's i read all the mags and as a kid really wanted a python. i settled for a better for what i did gun at a much cheaper price. a ruger blackhawk.i was always happy with it but dang them pythons were sweet!id read the pythons were a bit delicate but id still like one or a diamondback!

back40
June 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
that's a good looking python! love the grips.

788Ham
June 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
leadcounsel,

"IF" you ever get the chance to fire one, you'll be amazed at the experience! Back in '85 when I got mine, my wife and I took a handgun course, she'd never handled a revolver. The instructor made the remark about "Using any available firearm upstairs we rent will do to qualify.... unless you're like this guy who shoots only the best." I shot 98/100 for qualifying, still shoots like the dream it was then. Don't deny yourself.

788Ham
June 12, 2013, 01:31 PM
JohnBT,

Have you personally purchased grips from these folks? Just curious if one has to send them the revolver, or grips sent, and owner affixes them? Times being what they are, not really wanting to let firearm out of my sight ! Thanks for sharing this website, beautiful grips !!

JohnBT
June 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
I know they need a SAA to fit the grips, but not a 1911.

I've never purchased anything from them, but everybody else does - Colt Forum members, Colt Custom Shop, S&W, Turnbull, etc.

JD_LION
June 18, 2013, 12:08 AM
I finally talked with the original owner again today and he can't find the original grips. He bought the Python new in the late 60's and ordered the ivory grips when he bought it.

He also said he bought two boxes of winchester ammo the day he got it and has only shot 74 rounds through it and still has the box with the remaining ammo that he's going to give me. The python had been stored for the last 30+ years under the seat of his truck in the garage.

I can't wait to shoot some whitetail with it this season. I've already put 100+ rounds through it and am amazed at the accuracy and smooth trigger.

I don't like the Hogue rubber grips and can't get them to fit good. Ive already been offered $500 for the ivory grips but really like the look of the vintage ivory and will be keeping them together with the gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found a Python today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!