Cheap crossbow, should it be tried?

PDA

Mauser lover
June 8, 2013, 02:43 AM
http://www.crossbows2u.com/product/HUNTINGPACKAGE/150-Lbs-Wood-Hunting-Crossbow--Scope--Laser--BroadHeads--Pack-of-Arrows.html

A friend of mine wants to get into hunting deer, says he can come to within 20 yds of them, doesn't want to spend much money, and lives in Canada. Does anybody know anything about this bow? Is it worth the $110 just to get a start into hunting and archery?

Rifles are out of the question, shotguns are a possibility, and archery is a possibility. All of this needs to be really inexpensive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap crossbow, should it be tried?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eb1
June 8, 2013, 02:56 AM
I don't know, but I bought a Horton Hunter Supreme 150# Crossbow for $150 OTD. It came with 4 1" broad heads bolts, 3 target bolts, a red dot, quiver, and sling.

I can hit the bullseye every shot from 1 to 20 yards, but I wouldn't shoot past 20 yards. I feel it loses a lot of steam quick, and it may just be that it is an older crossbow, but it is going to be my first bow hunting experience this coming year. I am looking forward to it.
I figure it is shooting around 230 fps maybe a little more, and will be good within the 20 yard limit I put on myself. It is noisy, but hey, it was a buck fifty, and many people have used them to kill many deer.

I think your friend would do better to find a nice used bow. Horton is a great crossbow. There are others that can be found from people who want to move up. Just because it isn't the latest and greatest doesn't mean it will not work for you, and sometimes you can get twice the bow for half the cost by buying used. Also Horton will completely update the bow for like $85. So for $230 I would have a brand new #150 that comes from a top of the line crossbow manufacturer. I haven't had it sent to Horton as it will get me through this next year or two like it is.
Think about buying used for the first bow.

Archaic Weapon
June 8, 2013, 03:06 AM
Dave Canterbury, youtube wildernessoutfitters , I believe that he did a review of one...common man survival bow? survival crossbow? That may help.

Archaic Weapon
June 8, 2013, 03:11 AM
Not really a crossbow, or a compound bow fan, but I picked up a Horton Scout, 125lb crossbow, used, with a red dot on it. Mostly so people couldn't say I never gave them a proper try. It's better than I thought, but I'll take a wood bow or a buffalo gun any day. I can say than shots from point blank to 35yds are spot on with mine. May be a fluke, but that's my experience.

T.R.
June 9, 2013, 07:44 AM
I bought my Ten Point crossbow second hand for a very good price through Craigs List. There are deals out there if you're patient. I'd avoid a cheapy Chinese built crossbow.

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DECdoe.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/rushmoreman/media/DECdoe.jpg.html)

Eb1
June 9, 2013, 02:02 PM
All good advice. Show for a second hand bow, and most states have a 150 # limit on the draw.

I am new to this bow/crossbow gig, but anything to get me in the woods earlier...

Mauser lover
June 10, 2013, 01:06 AM
150 pound limit on the top or the bottom? Is 150 the minimum or the max?

He lives in Canada anyway, I have no idea if they even have a limit...

Eb1
June 10, 2013, 02:46 AM
Our's is a 150# minimum for crossbow, and a 40# minimum for compound bow. I guess long bow is the same i.e 40#, but the poundage is only as much as you can pull it back.

I have confidence in my Horton Hunter Supreme which could be as old as 15 years will do me fine. It has been care of very well. Other than being a little noisey compared to the $500.00 crossbows, and maybe a few fps slower. It still shoots a 20" bolt with a 1" broad head very accurately and repeatable accuracy also.

I am going to keep my distance to 20-25 yards to help insure a clean kill and help limit jumping or ducking the bolt.
I will put a few bolts through the Chrony to verify speed, and then adjust my distance limit per a drop table I found online.

I am itching to go hunting with it now. We have a spring squirrel hunt. I thought of testing my skills when they are on the ground, but I can't stand the ticks or eastern rattlers and copperheads. I have also thought of taking a hog with the crossbow and a coyote.
I did take a opossum late one night when he was trying to fight my cat. I just used a target tip for that episode. Worked fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap crossbow, should it be tried?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!