Knives from dad.....

June 8, 2013, 09:28 PM
Dad dropped by this morning, he was doing some cleaning at his place and brought my middle son some old coins & watches that belonged to my grand-father. He also gave me these knives that all but 1 belonged to my grandfather. The one I am not so sure about as it appears to be stainless, not sure when it was made, so I can't verify if it was paps or not. Dad seems to think it was.

Nothing of any major $$$ value, but for sentimental value, no amount of $$$ can replace these in my collection.

Somehow I have went all these years without having a Barlow in my rotation. After handling this one, I now know I must get a few more.

Seeing as my grandfather passed before I was born and I never got to meet him. I sat here today examining every mark on each knife, imagining how each got there. Wondering what he used them for. He was a truck driver, and I know he used to whittle a lot.
The red handled Case knife has seen some serious use, as it was sharpened a whole lot. Dad seems to recall him using this one to whittle.

Plan is to clean them up lightly, leaving all patina in place. And then just enjoy them.

Top - Long Yellow - Imperial
Barlow - cant read the tang stamp , does have USA to the right vertically

2nd row left to right.
Yellow handled Case , tang marked CASE with XX under it
two blade red handled CASE XX - this one has the blades sharpened away to almost nothing...a nail was used and peened over for the center pin
Case - 3 blades (on broken) , has C___ase logo with tested X underneath

Imperial Stainless USA
Colonial Prov R.I. (
Blade-5811 ( by the45guy (, on Flickr

Love the "nail" pin on this one. Other side scale is missing. Pretty crude, but it held up for many years. (
Blade-5803 ( by the45guy (, on Flickr (
Blade-5801 ( by the45guy (, on Flickr (
Blade-5802 ( by the45guy (, on Flickr

Even with my magnifier specs, I still have not figured out the stamp on this one: (
Blade-5804 ( by the45guy (, on Flickr

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives from dad....." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 8, 2013, 09:30 PM
Near as I can tell , it is a Western Camper S-901. Unsure of year.

Walking thru a community yard sale last Saturday , lady had a handful of slipjoints , mostly really cheap ones that were pretty beat. This one looked worse for wear when I picked it up , she wanted $10 , then she pitched $7.50...I offered $5 and she accepted.

All I did was hit it with wd40 & break free , scrubbed the outside and inside with a small toothbrush and some q-tips , oiled it with some Rem oil and blew it out really good with compressed air , touched up the edge and she lives for many more years of service.

Really dig this one. (
JTW-5639x ( by the45guy (, on Flickr (
JTW-5641x ( by the45guy (, on Flickr

Not as good as going to Blade , but a whole lot cheaper ! :D

June 8, 2013, 10:57 PM

June 8, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hope that is a good "wow" ;)

June 9, 2013, 12:53 AM
Good stuff! I really like the Barlow.

June 9, 2013, 01:02 AM
I like the Barlow as well...the one Case appears to be from 1920-1940 and the other from 1905-1920 ( red one with the nail pin ), just going by a brief comparison on the tang stamps.

June 9, 2013, 10:28 AM
Yep, good wow.

June 9, 2013, 07:12 PM
I bet that long yellow one is a fruit sampler knife

June 9, 2013, 08:49 PM
Yes I do believe you are correct.

Info I got from a Bladeforums member identifies the Barlow as " Hammer Brand " and dates between 1945 to 1955.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knives from dad....." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!