375 weatherby

PDA

ralph76
June 10, 2013, 11:06 PM
What is the reasoning behind the long throat of the bigger calibers and are they meant to be loaded faster in velocity to be more accurate? I have a 375 H&H that was re chambered to the weatherby some time ago before I ever had it and it shoots 2" + or - at 100 yds. I load 10 % lower than the fastest numbers. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "375 weatherby" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 11, 2013, 02:03 AM
Weatherby always use a long free-bore in all calibers to reduce pressure.

They were loaded to the upper limit of pressure under the best of conditions by the factory to get the velocity numbers that were the major selling point in the first place.

The long free-bore was especially important in the calibers that might be used in tropical Africa.
A hot load like they loaded, setting in a hot gun in the sun all day, could cause over-pressure and sticking extraction, or even blown primers or worse, blown cases & blown guns.

Not good for customers or Weatherby reputation when they are being charged by a lion or buffalo.

Whether or not your re-chambered .375 Win shoots 2" groups is because of the re-chambering to .375 Weatherby?

Or whether it shot 2" groups in .375 Win too, is hard to say at this point in time.

I would try faster, and I would try several different bullet brands and weights, if you can find any.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "375 weatherby" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!