Moderator overreach

PDA

YZ
June 12, 2013, 01:37 PM
While taking part in the forum titled "Hearing loss after a range trip", I could not help but notice the great authority coming from hso, the moderator. HSO recommended taking strong antiinflammatory medicine for transient hearing loss resulting from gunfire. This is false. Those drugs can, in fact, cause hearing impairment. It is one of their side effects.

I let this one fly. Then hso appeared again, with the same authority, rectifying what he thought was confusion (probably just did not read the exchange), and abruptly shut the forum down, no warning, no explanation.

HSO's field of expertise is stated as Activism. Maybe he was filling in on General Discussion, but any case, can someone above or at least next to hso remind him, he is dealing with educated adults? His signature line shows that hso feels more like being a scout camp master.

This web site does not owe me anything. I may be banned for bringing up a discourse. Well if I don't see support here, might as well go. As a public service then, DON'T TAKE ADVIL FOR HEARING LOSS. Pass the word.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderator overreach" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed Ames
June 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
Many of the moderator decisions around here are arbitrary and IMO stifle good conversation for no reason...conversations are shut down without any policy violation, and without any good cause . Often it looks like the moderator is just bored, and knows nobody can stop him/her. It is worse now than it was when I first joined THR. About once a week a moderator shuts something down and leaves me wanting to publicly question the decision, which is just an awful track record if you think about it.

However, HSO is usually not the perp.

Sam1911
June 12, 2013, 02:17 PM
While I've not been party to any of your concerns, I'll point out that the usual way folks resolve their differences is to have a personal conversation with the person who did whatever it is they don't like. The Staff here is very, dare I say amazingly, approachable and a simple Private Message is never out of line.

Maybe try that instead of a public haranguing and/or saving up your frustrations to expel when someone else gets a case of the grumpies. :D

JShirley
June 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
HSO's field of expertise is stated as Activism

No, hso's "beat" is Activism and Non-Firearm Weapons. Like the rest of staff, he is free to resolve problems he sees elsewhere on the board.

His field of expertise can be found in his name: Health and Safety Officer. So it's possible he might know what he's talking about.

I'll be happy, however, to see your evidence in the proper forum.

John

taliv
June 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
While Mike (HSO) happens to have a lot of expertise in the health and safety domain, we are all peers here. The content of moderator posts has no special authority here, though most of our moderators are well-known and users have ample opportunity to develop a sense of trust about our opinions on a particular topic. Our opinions are our own. We don't speak for THR as a whole.

I am at a bit of a loss to understand why you are responding to a comment here that was made 3 days ago, given that you posted in that thread last night, yesterday afternoon, yesterday morning, and 2 days ago. Didn't you have ample opportunity there to bring up advil or refute the mil study?

Also, I am just speculating here, but it seems likely that Walkalong closed the thread 13 minutes before, while HSO was composing his last post. Unlike regular members, moderators can add a post to a closed thread, so it's unlikely he even knew it was closed until after he posted.

YZ
June 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
I'd be glad to share your amazement, but in this case everything was discussed publicly and I see no reason to complain behind anyone's back.

To be fair, all forums I've seen closed were done so for a reason, briefly stated. Not this one. It looked like someone showed up, spoke, and left the last word to himself.

Someone is wondering why I did not call hso on his Rx right away. Answer: because I did not feel like getting in a tussle with an self assured moderator. And look how you circle wagons, instead of looking into the issue. A little glasnost please.

Walkalong
June 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
hso did not shut down the thread. I shut the thread down, with a final "plus one" for using hearing protection. I felt it was just going in circles and all pertinent information had been given, at least once.

As always, if someone thinks a thread should not have been shut down and should be reopened so new beneficial information could be shared, a PM to the mod is the best idea.

taliv
June 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
Someone is wondering why I did not call hso on his Rx right away. Answer: because I did not feel like getting in a tussle with an self assured moderator. And look how you circle wagons, instead of looking into the issue. A little glasnost please.

but you feel like tussling now?

I did look into it. I responded above. HSO didn't close the thread. your complaint is invalid. there was no conspiracy here.

We don't consider it going behind someone's back. It's just being polite. a quick PM like this, would have opened the thread up agian:

hey hso, I would like to add more information to the thread because using advil can cause hearing loss according to <source>. can you please reopen it?

hso isn't a doctor. he already stated there was just one study and no follow up research he was aware of. I'm sure he would have appreciated additional information.

Walkalong
June 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
Closing a thread is always a judgment call, and I would have been happy to reopen it for pertinent information.

If someone questions why I closed a thread, I try to learn from that, and never take it personally. Life's too short for that. If you would like to add your information about Advil to the thread I'll be happy to reopen it. I wonder if after hearing damage the benefit outweighs the normal risk of taking a large dose. Dunno. :)

YZ
June 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
Okay. Then perhaps whoever it is, closing a thread, would leave a note why. If that makes sense to you, we're cool.

Now Taliv. Ibuprofen Rx was incorrect 3 days ago. It still is today. Is there a statute of limitations to dispute a false statement? I did think about mentioning it some time, but the forum shut down. What we are doing today is peer review. Not the same as getting sidetracked in a very interesting discussion with regular members.

Arkansas Paul
June 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
Many of the moderator decisions around here are arbitrary and IMO stifle good conversation for no reason...conversations are shut down without any policy violation, and without any good cause . Often it looks like the moderator is just bored, and knows nobody can stop him/her. It is worse now than it was when I first joined THR. About once a week a moderator shuts something down and leaves me wanting to publicly question the decision, which is just an awful track record if you think about it.

Sure is a lot of complaining about people who volunteer their time to make sure this is a pleasant place to come and engage in like minded discussion. The mods here do a fine job. And they do it for nothing.

j1
June 12, 2013, 03:53 PM
I was kicked off another site for stating my opinion. First I was disbarred for seven days and when I stated it again I was evicted permanently. If I cannot state what I think I do not need or want to go there, ever again.

TimboKhan
June 12, 2013, 03:55 PM
You can call this mod overreach if you want, but this one is done. There just isn't anything else to be done in this thread that wouldn't result in a circular argument. Good day.

sent from my Galaxy Note II.

EDIT TO ADD: Member Sentryau2 sent me this and asked if I would post it, and so I shall. It's relevant to the discussion about hearing loss, though not necessarily relevant to the topic of this thread. Anyhoo here is (partially) what he said:

Here is a link I mostly copy and pasted info. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/link-between-pain-relievers-and-hearing-loss?page=3#copy http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/09/pain-relievers-increase-hearing-loss-risk/

Nsaid and acetaminophen are toxic to the kidneys, most medications toxic to the kidneys are toxic to the ears. In our study, compared with women who used ibuprofen less than one day per week, the increased risk of developing hearing loss ranged from 13% for those who used ibuprofen 2-3 days per week to 24% for women who used it 6 or more days per week. For acetaminophen, we found that compared with women who used acetaminophen less than one day per week, the increased risk for women who used acetaminophen 2 or more days per week ranged from 11-21% and the risk tended to bOur study did not directly examine the mechanisms underlying the potential adverse influence of analgesics on hearing. A proposed mechanism is that NSAIDs can reduce blood flow to the cochlea (the hearing organ), which could result in cellular damage and cell death, and thus impair its function.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moderator overreach" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!