Does anybody still make this 1911?

PDA

blazer610
March 18, 2004, 08:05 PM
I'm looking for a 1911 with a barrel 3.9 to 4.25 inches and a shortened grip frame such as the Colt Officer's ACP. The frame must be of alloy or other light weight material. The manual of arms should be traditional 1911.

One pistol that fits this description is the Star PD. I already have one and it really is a fine pistol. Totally reliable, easy to carry and conceal and it's chambered in a great personal protection round. The 1911 I'm looking for would be nearly identical to the Star PD except with genuine 1911 internals.

Is anybody currently making this?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anybody still make this 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kruzr
March 18, 2004, 08:15 PM
A Kimber CDP Compact fits the bill. Aluminum frame, 4" barrel, Officer size grip frame.

jercamp45
March 19, 2004, 06:17 PM
1) the discontinued Colt Concealed Carry Officer's(CCO) which may be reintroduced soon, but they can be found used. I found a very nice one for 499(and put my money down on it), but the seem to run for 550 to 600 normally. This uses an Officer's frame ande Commander(4.25) slide. When looking at used, check out the feed ramp for 'gouging'.
2) Kimber Compact...Officer frame(alloy, but I think steel is avaiable), and 4 inch slide. Used I have seen the base models running abound 6 bills, and the CDP version is available(melted carry package with night sights) for 900 to 1100 new.
There is also the Wilson KZ 45 Compact, which I have no experience with.
And for those with no financial limits...Caspian makes an Officer titanium frame, and commander slides. Pricely piece, but very sweet.
The Star PD was a great gun for it's time, revolutionary in fact. But that time is past...the alloy does not stand up to heavy use and the firing pin on two spanish auto's of my acquaintence broke. The 'adjustable sight' was challenging, and there were different signts found. I had and shot one in 1980 and it worked ok, carried like a dream...but my Colt Commander was better in accuracy and feel department and I soon traded the Star off once the Commander was properly modified to suit my tastes.
Jercamp45

Old Fuff
March 19, 2004, 07:23 PM
The smallest of them all, the Detonics CombatMaster is going to be coming back, but I believe it will have a steel (or stainless steel) frame.

KarlG
March 19, 2004, 11:04 PM
I have a springfield Compact. It has an aluminum alloy Officer's size frame with a 4-1/4" barrel. I believe it has been discontinued as it does not show on Springfield's web page.

blazer610
March 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. That gives me something to keep an eye open for. They are all great guns. I hope Colt does bring back the CCO but I could be happy with a Springfield or Kimber.

Larry@shootsmart.com

BluesBear
March 20, 2004, 02:14 AM
Well you could just buy a Colt Officers ACP and then buy a Commander Slide & Barrel and make your own CCO.

Yes it's just that simple.

Clean97GTI
March 20, 2004, 05:43 AM
get rid of that nickel-plated piece of **** and get yourself a Glock!

Tamara
March 20, 2004, 08:31 AM

What an erudite contribution to the thread. :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that you could post to the 'net from an X-box. :scrutiny:

Dave T
March 20, 2004, 11:29 AM
Well you could just buy a Colt Officers ACP and then buy a Commander Slide & Barrel and make your own CCO.

And that would likely produce one of those 1911 horror stories that end up on the internet, proving once again to the Glock/SIG/HK/Baretta/Ruger/S&W crowd what an outdated and unreliable POS the 1911 is. Unless of course he really wants to spend several hundred additional dollars on gunsmithing after buying the Officer's ACP and a Commander slide and a barrel!

Why not buy a factory built gun to the specifications required, since there are several models both new and used available?

BluesBear
March 20, 2004, 01:15 PM
I forgot to add, recoil spring assembly.

The Colt Concealed Carry Officers (CCO) was nothing more than a Officers ACP gripframe assembly with a Commander Slide Assembly on top.
The only real difference between the Officers ACP frame and the Commander frame is the length of the grip.

I have swapped uppers from both on more than one occasion. It's the slide assembly that determines the reliability. If you have a Commander that runs 100% and an Officers that only runs 95% then the short grip long slide will run 100% while the long grip short slide willonly run 95%.
Let me repeat, It's the slide assembly that determines the reliability.

Read and absorb some other 1911 pattern threads. Not counting magazine issues, and excepting for the top edge of the feed ramp, or the ejector, all of the reliability problems seem to stem from the top end of the pistol. I think most would agree that the Commander top end is a lot more reliable them an Officers ACP top end.

Getting a do-it-yourself CCO to run 100% would be no more difficult that getting any other Commander to run 100%. Most of the genuine Colt Commanders I have owned were 100% right out of the box. The only one that wasn't took only about an hour to get there.

...proving once again to the Glock/SIG/HK/Baretta/Ruger/S&W crowd... :rolleyes: Good grief Charlie Brown, do you actually think anything you or I or anyone else, can say or do, will be able to defeat a preconceived notion? :rolleyes:

SAWBONES
March 20, 2004, 04:45 PM
Just BTW, the Springfield Armory Compact barrel is 4", not 4.25.
Close to, but not the same as a Commander.

Don't forget the Les Baer Stinger, which has the foreshortened butt of the Colt Officer's Model, along with the Commander length barrel and slide.
It's available in blued and stainless steel versions, also with an aluminum alloy frame.
Same size as the no-longer-made Colt Concealed Carry Officer's Model.

Best.

SAWBONES
March 20, 2004, 04:50 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an erudite contribution to the thread.

I wasn't aware that you could post to the 'net from an X-box.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh-oh...
Am I beginning to detect a whiff of 1911 snobbery?:)

The movie quote in question, though, referred to "that nickel-plated sissy pistol", not "nickel-plated piece of ****."

After 20 years of shooting, I've found 1911s, Glocks and H&K P7s to be the only semiautomatic handguns with any persisting appeal to me. Those and a few wheelguns.

brookstexas
March 20, 2004, 10:49 PM
The STI Ranger is an awesome piece!
http://home.austin.rr.com/forsaleaustin/

Tamara
March 20, 2004, 10:54 PM
Uh-oh...
Am I beginning to detect a whiff of 1911 snobbery?:)

Yes. :)

George Hill
March 21, 2004, 12:28 AM
"I wasn't aware that you could post to the 'net from an X-box."
Oh Man... that had me laughing. That was sweet...

Wait a second...
Oh...
You can.
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/xboxpc.html
Interesting....

Oh, about the gun. I talked to Caspian the other day and they told me I could get the frame and the slide, matched and fitted and finished in a nice Ogerish green for like 400... I don't remember the price, but it wasnt all that bad.
I've not had a 1911 built to my specs with my parts in like 10 years, so how much it would cost to finish it, I'm not sure. Probably on par with buying a production mid level gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anybody still make this 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!