Stinky Stocks

PDA

DeadFlies
June 12, 2013, 09:02 PM
I just purchased a used rifle with a wooden stock. It had obviously been kept in the home a smoker because the stock reeks of cigarette smoke.

What is the best way to fix this, short of getting a new stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stinky Stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 12, 2013, 09:15 PM
Start smoking yourself.
You won't even notice it after the first day or two!

No, seriously.

They sell 'smoke canceling' spray cans at home depot.

Or wash the stock & metal with Mineral spirits, or Lemon Oil furniture polish, and 0000 (Super-Fine ) steel wool pads.

It will remove the smoke film without harming the stock or metal finish.

And then, it will either smell like paint thinner for a while, or Lemons for a while.

Depending on which you prefer.

rc

DeadFlies
June 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
And then, it will either smell like paint thinner for a while, or Lemons for a while.

Depending on which you prefer.

rc

Let's see...

Mineral spirits
Pros - smells manly
Cons - gives me a buzz, which is not conducive to small groups or general safety at the range

Lemon-scented furniture polish
Pros - smells tropical
Cons - gives me a headache

Think I'll try the mineral spirits since I have some on hand anyway. Not so much with the furniture polish.

rcmodel
June 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
A day or two in the sun & fresh air after you clean the smoke film off of, as Gary Oldman said in the Proffessional, EVERYTHING!!!! will help a lot too.

rc

Scooter22
June 12, 2013, 11:56 PM
If your not going to refinish it remove everything(B/A, butt plate, trigger guard, ect) from the stock and hang it where it will get plenty of ventilation. Clean or wash all the parts you removed. I don't know what finish is on the wood but if it's a solid finish. No cracks, chips or unfinshed checkering some warm water with a little Dawn dish washing liquid will remove the film from the finish. If the open wood inside the stock stinks you could seal it with lacquer. Pics would help.

dirtykid
June 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
Buya little jar of that stuff they sell to eliminate pet-odors in your carpets, or even some febreze

It wont hurt the stock,and it leaves a neutral scent

Ken70
June 13, 2013, 12:55 AM
Dip it in Hoppe's #9, ALL the gun nuts love that smell.

DeadFlies
June 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
If your not going to refinish it remove everything(B/A, butt plate, trigger guard, ect) from the stock and hang it where it will get plenty of ventilation. Clean or wash all the parts you removed. I don't know what finish is on the wood but if it's a solid finish. No cracks, chips or unfinshed checkering some warm water with a little Dawn dish washing liquid will remove the film from the finish. If the open wood inside the stock stinks you could seal it with lacquer. Pics would help.

A pic, you say? Thanks for asking!

Here's the new rifle. Savage 340 in 30-30 with a Weaver k4 60b scope. Probably going to try to dishsoap wash first as it's probably far gentler than mineral spirits. then a good dose of Hoppes. Love that smell!

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/MarkusRex/photo-5.jpg (http://s930.photobucket.com/user/MarkusRex/media/photo-5.jpg.html)

Clark
June 13, 2013, 11:07 AM
Most stocks stink.
On sanded wood i use mineral oil and bee's wax over that, the salad bowl treatment.

desidog
June 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
Leave it in a bag or box with a bowl of baking soda for a few days. Arm and Hammer soaks up smoke smell.

luisespinal
June 14, 2013, 01:25 PM
Leave it in a bag or box with a bowl of baking soda for a few days. Arm and Hammer soaks up smoke smell.

Ditto on this. I've removed smoke stench out things like clothes and small wooden items this way. If the stock had been reeking of smoke stench for quite a while, however, the OP might want to use baking soda first for a few days, then give a good hand scrub with lemon oil, then dry, then baking soda treat it as well.

Naphthalene balls work also well to remove smoke stench. Obviously, naphta doesn't smell that great, but the smell goes away after a week or two of having an item in a well ventilated area.

DeadFlies
June 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
Update

I removed the stock from the action and gently scrubbed the stock with some lemon dishsoap and scotch-brite. Then a rinse with hot water, then some dry sanding with scotch-brite. I did this twice then rinsed it off with some more hot water, wiped it dry and then left it in the sun to dry for about an hour. This got rid of the stink and most of the dirty, oily spots.

Then I gave it three coats of some rather light-colored furniture stain I had around. We'll see how it comes out. It's more of a bright, orange-y color now instead of a dull, dirty brown. So far, not too bad for about an hour of work on a cheap gun.

I'll post an "after" pic when I can. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

After pic:

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/MarkusRex/photo15.jpg (http://s930.photobucket.com/user/MarkusRex/media/photo15.jpg.html)

publiuss
June 17, 2013, 07:07 PM
It obviously does not have a bright finished stock (Rem bowling pin, Weatherby). I would wipe it down with Murphy's oil soap and scrub with a soft brush like a shoe buffing brush. Immediately wipe off and let dry overnight. Then rub vigorously with a rag alight coat of linseed oil then immediately wipe off. This should remove the smell and make the stock look better.

788Ham
June 19, 2013, 12:08 AM
If you did all of that water rinsing, you might leave the action out of the stock for a couple of days, let it totally dry out, you'll have rust to contend with then!

If you enjoyed reading about "Stinky Stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!