Pseudo Threepersons for 1911 (pics)

PDA

CraigC
June 13, 2013, 01:16 AM
Here's one I finished this week for myself. Wanted just a general purpose holster, mostly for range duty. Got tired of fooling with the leather paddle holster I've been using and my lovely floral carved El Paso Saddlery concealment holster is for a 4" gun. So I made just a basic, quick & dirty Threepersons style for a 5" Government model with an open toe and covered triggerguard. I took advantage of some nice neck wrinkles in the hide. Experimented with a new border stamping pattern as well. It's also a new light brown color I hadn't done before. I think it would look a little better antiqued around the edges and tooling. The rosette is a big single stamp by Will Ghormley (same one he used on Frank James rig he made for the Brad Pitt Jesse James flick) and I'm not happy with the impression I'm getting. This is probably about as modern as I'll get, for about as modern a pistol as I will do. No interest in doing modern concealment rigs for "modern" automatics.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1428b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1433b.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/leatherwork/large/IMG_1439b.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Pseudo Threepersons for 1911 (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
royal barnes
June 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
A number of best efforts I have seen other places are not as good as your "quick and dirty". ;) The belt is nice, too. It appears to me that the rosette stamp is not mounted in the holder level or you are possibly striking it a little to one side. Deeper on one edge than the opposing one.

CraigC
June 13, 2013, 12:18 PM
Thank you!

I'm beating the hell out of that thing all the way around. I think what you're seeing is the dye puddled on one side. The stamp is actually brazed to a stick of half inch steel rod and it's not perfectly straight but I do tilt it in every direction as I hammer it. I don't even use my maul for it but a steel hammer instead. I think the problem is that the outline is raised too much over the interior of the stamp. I probably need to just use it as a pattern and spiff it up with other single stamps.

Sam1911
June 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
I really prefer fully boned holsters, but that one is QUITE handsome! Might have to rethink my preferences ... just a little! :)

CraigC
June 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
This one will work fine for what I wanted but if I was doing one for concealment, I'd either make it fit tighter and/or add a tension screw. A retention strap could also be added quite easily. Overall, I'm happy with the design but it could probably use some refinement in other areas as well. It's a process and I'm open to suggestion. ;)

JockeyShifter
June 13, 2013, 02:50 PM
Is there a sweat/body shield with this holster?

CraigC
June 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
No, this one's intended to be worn on a heavy gunbelt.

Jaymo
June 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
Are thse grips made of holly?

CraigC
June 14, 2013, 09:31 PM
That's the same kind of antique paper micarta that's on my custom flat-top .44Spl. It's one of my favorite grip materials!

Dave Markowitz
June 16, 2013, 11:10 AM
Quick and dirty my arse. That's a beautiful holster, Craig.

rayban
June 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Nice work, I like the simplicity of the design....I would like it just the same even w/o the stamping.;)

CraigC
June 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys!

huntershooter
June 17, 2013, 05:09 PM
Well done sport!
Fan of "old school" style here. The fact you did it yourself is impressive and should give you some gratification/satisfaction for making it.

CraigC
June 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
Thank you sir!

shootr
June 19, 2013, 10:48 PM
That's gorgeous! I really like what you've made. Nice job!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pseudo Threepersons for 1911 (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!