High Cap 9mm recommendations

PDA

Tim Pierce
June 13, 2013, 10:20 AM
I am in the market for a high cap 9mm pistol. It will be mainly for range work, and will be a nightstand gun. I also want a rail for mounting a light. What are recommendations, and why?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "High Cap 9mm recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Captains1911
June 13, 2013, 10:23 AM
Do you mean "standard cap?" Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Sig, Ruger SR9, etc. are just a few that come to mind. There are probably 50 guns I could recommend, all of which are good, you need to decide which one is right for you. There's no easy answer. Perhaps we could help narrow it down a little for you if you could be more specific on size, function, features, etc.

Orion8472
June 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
With the guns already listed above, I would add the FNS-9. If you want hammer pistols, CZ makes some excellent pistols with rails.

Tim Pierce
June 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
I want 17+ rounds, a good trigger, polymer is ok. Preferably a fiber optic front sight, or night sights. striker or hammer fired. I have an SR 9. It's my truck gun. I'm thinking something more up-scale for this gun, possibly Sig, CZ ?

Captains1911
June 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
How about a Glock 17? You can always add whatever sights you want. You could even get a 33rd G18 mag if you wanted. Springfield XDm is similar and holds 19rds in the standard mag. "Good trigger" is very subjective.

460Kodiak
June 13, 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking something more up-scale for this gun, possibly Sig, CZ ?

Sounds like you already know what you want then.

For a Sig I'd get a P226 Stainless Elite, and get an extended magazine.
CZ.... lots of choices.

If I wanted a high quality polymer gun, I'd get an FNX-9, since I like hammer fired guns, and I really like my FNP-45. FNS are supposed to be good striker guns. My XDs is great, so I'd definately give thier full sized guns a chance if looking, though personally I like the FNX-9 better. I hate GLOCKS.

There are so many options man. If you like Sigs and CZ's, then check out their websites.

Storm
June 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Tons of choices out there. Sig, Beretta, Walther...

I just picked this up, a new CZ 75 BD Police for $489. Hard to beat.

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/7616/photo34l.jpg

GLI45
June 13, 2013, 11:12 AM
You shouldn't overlook the double stack 2011s from STI. My bedside gun is an STI Tactical 4.0 in .40 cal. (It's available in 9mm.) It's available in both a steel and an aluminum alloy frame. Like all STI pistols it's treat to shoot. Tight fitting, smooth action, very accurate, and has an excellent trigger. I'm don't know your budget, but it's more expensive than the typical polymer framed double stack or other steel frame guns like CZ or Sig. However, you're getting a very high quality pistol made here in the U.S. (Georgetown, TX.).

beatledog7
June 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
For a person who wants a 17-rd 9mm, I'd recommend hitting the searchable auction sites for a perusal of what's available. For example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=9mm+17+round

I have no vested interest in anything listed at that link; I simply find it useful for discovering what firearms meet a set of parameters.

Audition as many as you can find, and keep in mind that 15-16 rounds is just one or two fewer than 17, and dropping back to 15-16 rounds widens the field a lot.

If I were to make a specific recommendation for a gun that meets you criteria, enjoys a legendary reputation for reliability, is simple to operate and clean (no manual safety, simple manual of arms) and super easy to accessorize, I'd say get a Glock 17, add a Streamlight TLR series rail light, learn to shoot it well, and hope you never need to do so other than at the range.

blackrussian
June 13, 2013, 12:20 PM
You can spec a few models out to your liking.
http://czcustom.com/

Full size steel frame, DA/SA or SAO, wide variety of accessories(grips, sights, etc) available.
Magazines are not cheap, but meet or exceed the desired capacity.

Frankl03
June 13, 2013, 12:40 PM
+1 STI Tactical! I have an Edge. Great guns! They make the Tactical in 9mm and in carry size as well. In the 140 mm mags you can fit 20 and if you modify the mag you can fit more!
Link: http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-tactical-5-0/

tarosean
June 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
"Good trigger" is very subjective.

Negatory... and glock certainly don't qualify even with lots of work

Furncliff
June 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
CZ 75b along with the Kadet conversion kit for practicing with .22LR...

Mine goes to the range with me every time and the Kadet upper gets used a lot for practice because the switch over time is only 15 seconds.

These pistols are still the best bang for the buck out there (if you can find one).

Con... out of the box the triggers can be scratchy, mine has smoothed out very nicely with use. If after using it, it's still not up to snuff for you, there are several solutions.

Correction: The CZ75b does not have a rail for a light, but the CZ 75 P-01 Tactical has the night sights and rail, the PO-9 Duty is another to check out, here...

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

Tortuga12
June 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm really interested in the Lionheart LH9, myself. Had an opportunity to fondle the Daewoo DP-51 in a LGS, and really liked it. Apparently they're selling them with rail or without, standard, Novak, or night sights, even have a range of holsters to go with them. Cerakote-ed slide/frame, very intriguing!

Captains1911
June 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
Negatory... and glock certainly don't qualify even with lots of work
Good for what? What's good for a competition gun probably isn't god for a carry and/or defensive gun. Having said that, there are many competitive shooters who do very well with a Glock trigger. Like I said, "subjective."

Pilot
June 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
CZ-75 based SP-01. All steel, 18 round capacity, with light rail.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-sp-01/

Another good choice if you want a rail is the Beretta M9A1 or 92A1.

tarosean
June 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
Good for what? What's good for a competition gun probably isn't god for a carry and/or defensive gun. Having said that, there are many competitive shooters who do very well with a Glock trigger. Like I said, "subjective."

Regardless of the use a good trigger is a good trigger.
I'm also aware that some of the best compeditors shoot glocks.. One of the funniest things I've heard was Nils Jonasson describing guns used by him and his competitors.. Someting like I shoot my custom M2i, they shoot Akai, and then he gets to Vogel.. "He shoots a glock".

I'm quite certain Robert would shoot just as well with anything in his hands thou...

Captains1911
June 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
Regardless of the use a good trigger is a good trigger.
I'm also aware that some of the best compeditors shoot glocks.. One of the funniest things I've heard was Nils Jonasson describing guns used by him and his competitors.. Someting like I shoot my custom M2i, they shoot Akai, and then he gets to Vogel.. "He shoots a glock".

I'm quite certain Robert would shoot just as well with anything in his hands thou...
We're not on the same page here. I think Glock triggers are "good" because they are reliable, not too heavy and not too light, and I can shoot them well. Other people disagree. Are either of us wrong?

Orion8472
June 13, 2013, 03:06 PM
SOME people can't "tame a striker fire trigger" no matter how hard they try. . . . or can't get used to the function of them. They are quite servicable, but for target, it is hard to beat a well tuned SAO trigger [usually on a pistol with a hammer].

tarosean
June 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
We're not on the same page here. I think Glock triggers are "good" because they are reliable, not too heavy and not too light, and I can shoot them well. Other people disagree. Are either of us wrong?

Yeah we are not on the same page. take-up/ slack, creep, reset, overtravel. etc are the terms that separate the good from the bad..

Like I said its got nothing to do with uses or as you injected reliability.

45_auto
June 13, 2013, 03:42 PM
It has EVERYTHING to do with use.

A 2 pound target trigger with perfect take-up/ slack, creep, reset, overtravel. etc, would be a very poor trigger for a carry gun in most people's opinion.

However, if you like your carry guns with a target trigger, it may be a "good" carry trigger to you.

allaroundhunter
June 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
Best stock triggers? STI, hands down. Their competition pistols have a out a 2.5-3 lb trigger that just breaks. No pre travel, no over travel, great reset. Their defensive pistols? 4.5 lb from the factory, with the same other qualities as their competition pistols.

Yes, they put any Glock triggers to shame, even worked up ones. Many of the best competitive action pistol shooters shoot either STI's or SVI's....

45_auto
June 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
I thought Doug Koenig shot a Smith & Wesson.

He's only won the Master's 16 times, the Bianchi cup 11 times, Steel challenge 3 times, etc, etc.

Who do you consider the "best" competitive shooters?

sigarms228
June 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
I want 17+ rounds, a good trigger, polymer is ok. Preferably a fiber optic front sight, or night sights. striker or hammer fired. I have an SR 9. It's my truck gun. I'm thinking something more up-scale for this gun, possibly Sig, CZ ?

A SIG P226 of your liking would be a great choice assuming it fits you well. I use the flush fit Mecgar 18 round magazines with my P226. The MK25 would be one to look at for sure in the P226 line.

armoredman
June 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
CZ SP-01 Phantom, 18 round standard mag, hammer fired, night sights not standard, but can be added by CZ-USA.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/Phantomdarkelegance.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20posters/Phantomdarkelegance.jpg.html)

newest out, CZ P-09, 19 round mag standard, can be ordered with night sights, DA/SA hammer fired, three interchangeable backstraps, can be switched from decocker to standard safety by the user in 10 minutes, parts supplied.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20P-09/P-09firstlook_zps033caadb.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20P-09/P-09firstlook_zps033caadb.jpg.html)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20P-09/online3_zps33af8cae.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20P-09/online3_zps33af8cae.jpg.html)

MinnesotaFats
June 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
another vote for the glock 17

MinnesotaFats
June 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
another vote for the glock 17. i have no problem shooting mine accurately.

allaroundhunter
June 13, 2013, 04:51 PM
I thought Doug Koenig shot a Smith & Wesson.

He's only won the Master's 16 times, the Bianchi cup 11 times, Steel challenge 3 times, etc, etc.

Who do you consider the "best" competitive shooters?

I edited it. Many of the best action pistol shooters. The OP is not wanting the same style gun that is used by those who shoot the Bianchi cup.

45_auto
June 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Would he maybe be interested in the same type of gun as used by the top IDPA shooters? It appears that about 96% of the shooters at the 2012 nationals disagree with you on their handgun choice. Pretty much the only thing less popular than STI was Ruger, Sig, and H&K (there were 2 H&K's if I remember correctly, not even enough to make the round-off to 1%):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/46auto/Forum%20Posts%202/Gun%20Forum%20Pics/Infographic-IDPA-Nationals-Guns_zps3fd0be3c.png

As a matter of fact, the winner, Robert Vogel, has won it for the last 6 years ever since he switched from shooting STIs to Glocks in competition in 2006. He won his first national Championship when he switched from shooting an STI in competition to shooting the Glock 34 that he carried as his duty weapon. There's an old saying in competiton: when the green flag drops the BS stops. Only results count, no matter what you read on the internet. Here's what a top competitior has to say about STI vs Glock triggers:

From Robert Vogel:

http://www.vogeldynamics.com/gear/

Since the beginning of 2006 I have shot Glock pistols exclusively in competition. Prior to this I had shot 1911 style pistols (STI) for three solid years. My number one reason for preferring the Glock is the grip I am able to get on the pistol. Because of the grip angle, ergonomics and low bore axis of the pistol I can get a much higher and more secure grip with both hands. This in effect translates into a shooting platform that is more effective in controlling recoil.

For me the trigger on a Glock is actually a plus. With the double action type trigger it allows for more of a “surprise break” type shot. This has allowed me to shoot more aggressively and has made trigger freeze less of an issue. I will admit that before switching to Glocks I had to set aside a number of preconceived notions that I had about them. This was easily done by concentrating on the only thing that really mattered to me: The results.

Storm
June 13, 2013, 05:38 PM
CZ SP-01 Phantom, 18 round standard mag, striker fired, night sights not standard, but can be added by CZ-USA.

Absolutely! I have one and it is a great pistol. Problem is that there are none to be had. Nowhere, nada, zip. That was why I recommended to CZ75 BD Police. The thing with the 75 in general is that my Phantom mags pop right into any full size 75. The capacity is determined by the mag. My Phantom can also be a 16+1 pistol.

The issue is finding a CZ 75.

GLI45
June 13, 2013, 05:40 PM
Okay boys and girls it's always a great discussion about "best this" or "favorite that", even if the initial question from Tim was for recos for a 9mm double stack. (I try not to say "high capacity" anymore since the anti-gun crowd have turned that term into something akin to "carpet bombing".) The best answer on triggers as well as pistols is the best for one person isn't the same for another.

As a 1911 guy I don't understand how anyone could shoot a finely tuned 1911 with a crisp 2.5lb trigger and ever want to shoot anything else, but that's because it's what I prefer. I've tried shooting a Glock but just can't get past the trigger and the lighter gun weight. Yet I marvel at what Bob Vogel can do with a Glock. (Just keep in mind when Bob talks about Glock that he's getting paid by Glock. No different than when TGO talks about Springfield 1911s they are also signing his checks.) I used to have a Sig P220, but to me the trigger felt like a long squeeze on a wet sponge. Yet my oldest son can match me shot for shot with his Sig P226.

When it comes to competition different guns do well in different disciplines and divisions/classes. The STI/SVI pistols and their derivitives seem to do well in the Open and Limited divisions of USPSA/IPSC, but CZs and some others are gaining ground. In IDPA the polymer guns tend to be preferred in everything but the CDP division.

Now having said I stick with my original recommendation of an STI 9mm double stack because we all know the best gun with the best trigger is a 1911. ;)

Captains1911
June 13, 2013, 08:11 PM
Okay boys and girls it's always a great discussion about "best this" or "favorite that", even if the initial question from Tim was for recos for a 9mm double stack. (I try not to say "high capacity" anymore since the anti-gun crowd have turned that term into something akin to "carpet bombing".) The best answer on triggers as well as pistols is the best for one person isn't the same for another.

As a 1911 guy I don't understand how anyone could shoot a finely tuned 1911 with a crisp 2.5lb trigger and ever want to shoot anything else, but that's because it's what I prefer. I've tried shooting a Glock but just can't get past the trigger and the lighter gun weight. Yet I marvel at what Bob Vogel can do with a Glock. (Just keep in mind when Bob talks about Glock that he's getting paid by Glock. No different than when TGO talks about Springfield 1911s they are also signing his checks.) I used to have a Sig P220, but to me the trigger felt like a long squeeze on a wet sponge. Yet my oldest son can match me shot for shot with his Sig P226.

When it comes to competition different guns do well in different disciplines and divisions/classes. The STI/SVI pistols and their derivitives seem to do well in the Open and Limited divisions of USPSA/IPSC, but CZs and some others are gaining ground. In IDPA the polymer guns tend to be preferred in everything but the CDP division.

Now having said I stick with my original recommendation of an STI 9mm double stack because we all know the best gun with the best trigger is a 1911. ;)
Which brings me back to my original comment that somehow started this mess of "good trigger is subjective."

GLI45
June 13, 2013, 10:49 PM
Agree with you Captains1911. As long as someone buys a good gun from a quality manufacturer (and there are plenty to chose from these days) they will get a "good" trigger. Triggers on quality guns may be different, but they are all good. Some people like Coke, others like Pepsi.

Schwing
June 13, 2013, 11:50 PM
I know this makes me an old timer and won't win me any friends but I cannot highly enough recommend the good old Beretta 92fs. I bought mine about 20 years ago and it is my nightstand gun to this day.

Up to 18 round magazines are readily available and fit without extending the grip. Up to 32 round mags are also easy to get.

As I said before, I have had this gun for 20 years. I have put untold thousands of rounds through it and have yet to have a SINGLE failure to fire of any kind.

I am, by no means, a Glock hater and I even own a couple of Springfields that have been mentioned. There is just a faith building experience that I have with the 92 that makes it my most trusted to defend my family

Having said that, I have said this before but picking a gun is like picking your nose... Don't let anyone else do it for you.

tarosean
June 14, 2013, 02:03 AM
It has EVERYTHING to do with use.
A 2 pound target trigger with perfect take-up/ slack, creep, reset, overtravel. etc, would be a very poor trigger for a carry gun in most people's opinion.
However, if you like your carry guns with a target trigger, it may be a "good" carry trigger to you.

The OP was not looking for a carry weapon. Specifically asking for Range and Nightstand.

Regardless I missed the fact he mentioned Sig or CZ... With that in mind I would go with the Sig X-5 Tactical.

bannockburn
June 14, 2013, 06:31 AM
My range and nightstand gun is a SIG P-229E2 with night sights and a SIG STL-900L laser/light combo mounted on it.

45_auto
June 14, 2013, 07:45 AM
The OP was not looking for a carry weapon. Specifically asking for Range and Nightstand.

I personally don't see any distinction between a carry weapon and a nightstand weapon. The primary purpose of either is self-defense, and a target-oriented trigger mechanism would be a very poor trigger for such a gun in most people's opinion.

YMMV.

Tim Pierce
June 14, 2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I am a big 1911 fan... I have 4 including 2 Dan Wessons. The STI Edge is VERY appealing, but not in the budget. The gun I'm leaning toward is the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. Now I just have to find one I can pick up and handle.

Captains1911
June 14, 2013, 09:38 AM
I personally don't see any distinction between a carry weapon and a nightstand weapon. The primary purpose of either is self-defense, and a target-oriented trigger mechanism would be a very poor trigger for such a gun in most people's opinion.

YMMV.
agreed, with the exception of size maybe.

Torian
June 14, 2013, 09:42 AM
EAA Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in 9mm.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=346344405

I've had the 10mm version of this for a bit, and it is not only the most accurate piece I have, but it came from the factory with a trigger pull to die for.

WRGADog
June 14, 2013, 09:43 AM
Springfield XDM, 19 + 1.

.357 magnum
June 15, 2013, 06:35 AM
WRGADog the last post before me is CORRECT! Springfield XDm 9mm-19rd Mag is Standard. Excellent gun for your needs. I have even given them as Wedding presents for Home Defense! I currently own 4 of them! :evil:

Take Care,

Frankie T.

Tim Pierce
June 15, 2013, 08:06 AM
Well, I can't seem to find the CZ I want. So, I'm looking at a Sig 226 TacOps. Night sights, 4 20 round mags, SRT trigger, and reasonably priced. We'll see if Gunbroker is my friend.

Thompsoncustom
June 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
Well I have both a Glock 17 and a CZ 75b. If I had to choose only one the CZ would win hands down everytime and here is why. Accuracy and the trigger, the CZ beats the glock in both pretty easily IMHO but as far as reliably goes it's a tie as the glock hasn't failed me yet but it ejects brass up down left right and god only knows where.

The up side to the glock over the CZ is there are tons of mods available and you can get a 60rd drum or 100rd if you got the cash.

The standard sp-01 comes with more rounds than the glock and I think the CZ triggers can be made much sweeter than glock but that's personally preference. The Sigs have the SRT but so do CZ's CZ Custom offers a drop-in SRT mod and CGW will also be offering one soon.

If this is a night stand/range gun only I would get a all steel gun but I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you choose.

Orion8472
June 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
The new CZ P-09 is also a 19+1 setup.

needmorecowbell
June 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
My choice hands down would be a CZ SP-01. CZ are my favorite at the range and with their "standard" cap 19+1, rail, great ergos and accuracy, you can't go wrong.

Orion8472
June 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
SP-01 is 18+1 . . . but still great capacity in an awesome pistol.

Spawn91
June 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
Well said sir.. I find nothing wrong with the glock trigger. If anything I shoot one well

June 15, 2013, 11:13 AM
How about a Glock 17? You can always add whatever sights you want. You could even get a 33rd G18 mag if you wanted. Springfield XDm is similar and holds 19rds in the standard mag.
This.

easyg
June 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
XDm, M&P, Glock, CZ, FN, Beretta, Ruger, HK, etc....
They all make a high capacity 9mm pistol, and they're all good.
Just find the one that feels right to you.

Personally, I like the XD and the XDm.

skoro
June 15, 2013, 01:01 PM
What are recommendations, and why?

Since you've specified range and night stand use, I have a couple of recommendations, because I've owned and shot these pistols and found them to be utterly reliable and accurate:

1. Smith & Wesson M&P

2. Ruger P95

Of the two, I prefer the M&P. It has superior ergonomics and it fits my hand better. The P95 is big and bulky, even more so than the M&P, but it's SO easy to shoot it with great accuracy.

Others have made solid recommendations and the only real way for you to know is to go to a LGS and try them on for size and see which are the natural pointers for your hand. Then, go with the one that has the features you prefer. There are lots of good choices in full size 9mm pistols.

el Godfather
June 15, 2013, 05:23 PM
Sig Sauer P226 TacOps 20 shot and 4 mags come standard.

Tim Pierce
June 17, 2013, 10:55 AM
I got a Sig P226 TacOPs on GB for 946.00! I'll post picks when I get it.:D

sigarms228
June 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
I got a Sig P226 TacOPs on GB for 946.00! I'll post picks when I get it.:D

AWESOME and great price!! The P226 is a superb pistol and you will love it.

aka108
June 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
I have complete faith in the Star M30. They are old, rough, poorly finished and tough. Very simple DA/SA but accurate and will handle any type 9mm ammo fed to it. AK like reliability. 16 rd capacity.

45R
June 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
My favorite is the Glock 17 or Glock 19

1SOW
June 17, 2013, 07:54 PM
CZ 75 SPO1/Shadow mags hold 19. A +2 and +4 base is available.. With the proper follower that gives +1 more givingr 22rd or 24rd mag capacity.
I run the 22 rd versionin either my 75B or 75 Shadow, and it runs flawlessly.
CZ USA also sells a 26rd mag.

jackinil
June 17, 2013, 08:06 PM
CZ P-09 mag holds 19. Should have it next week.

im413
June 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
Glock 26

Captains1911
June 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Glock 26
probably far from the best choice considering the OP's stated use

If you enjoyed reading about "High Cap 9mm recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!