Can someone enlighten me on the Makarov pistols?

PDA

jrdolall
June 14, 2013, 12:33 PM
I have been looking at them for a while but never bought one nor have I done a lot of research on them. I saw them at Gander Mountain a few days ago for $249 for the 63 with one magazine and I think that is a decent price from what I have seen lately. There seem to be a lot of variations in the 9x18 guns and I am just looking for ideas before I jump in.

Before anyone goes all ballistic(literally) please understand that I am looking to buy one simply because I want to buy one. I have 22s, 38s, 380s, 357s, and 45s. I have semis, revolvers and derringers so I don't want or need any opinions on why some other caliber or why S&W is better. I am looking for opinions on the Makarov style pistols whether they are from Poland, Russia, China or wherever. I am not really interested in ballistics as I will probably only use this gun for plinking and only need to be "minute of paper plate". Availability of extra mags, spare parts etc will be considered. I will probably buy ammo online unless I can find some locally at a decent price because Gander didn't have any but Academy may carry it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone enlighten me on the Makarov pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Orion8472
June 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
There are various different pistols out there that shoot the 9X18. The PA-63 is pretty hard to find. I found them to be fairly snappy, but can be accurate. The Baikal pistols are more traditional for that round and can be found made in Bulgaria, Russia, China, and the ever so elusive East German. All of them are good guns, are accurate, and reliable/robust. I say, go for it.

rondog
June 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
I have a PA-63, bought it when Sarco still had them for $130. Yeah, it's a snappy lil' rascal, almost a palm bruiser. All I know about the Makarovs is I've read they toss brass a long ways. I make my own 9x18 brass by cutting down 9mm Luger.

brbdwyr
June 14, 2013, 01:41 PM
Love em. Had a Russian, now have an E.German.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/Hanksrainysky/EG%20makarov/DSCF5225.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/Hanksrainysky/EG%20makarov/DSCF5228.jpg

DA trigger is springy. SA is much better, very little travel. Decocker is nice. Sights are small, but work. Both shot very well. Few working parts, stoopid easy to work on. Recoil is nominal. 9mmMak is a respectable round. Some will argue the validity of HP ammo, as the velocity may not be enough to mushroom. Ammo (when found) is in the 12 to 14/box range for steel cased stuff.

Edited to add: go original. I don't like the commercial Russian Baikals or Hungarians FEG's. I'd love to find a Chinee.

breakingcontact
June 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
For what they are, they are pretty awesome guns.

Lots of drawbacks, but the cool factor outweighs them for overall cool gun status.

MikeJackmin
June 14, 2013, 02:49 PM
The great thing about Maks is that they deliver; they are exactly as they appear to be. If you like the sights, the balance, and the trigger, then you will love it. It will be accurate and reliable and durable.

These grips improve them considerably:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearce-Grips-Replacement-Makarov-shot/dp/B000NK0EGW

Just be careful not to overtighten the screw or it may intrude into the mag well.

Personally, I prefer the CZ82/83s because they fit my hand better. Like the Maks, these CZs just keep going and going and they are more accurate than you might expect.

It's a good idea to replace the recoil spring on any surplus handgun, and to be careful to get all the grease out of it before taking it to the range.

Jim K
June 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
They are an interesting pistol. Like most Russian materiel, they have no bells and whistles, just a pistol for a specific job (personal defense in a combat zone), and one they do quite well. Contrary to repeated misinformation, they are not a copy of any other pistol (except in a general way). They are not a Walther PP, or a Mauser HsC, or any other gun. The Makarov is a Makarov and that is plenty good enough.

AFAIK, the only ammo available is FMJ, so if you want 382 types of hollow point, the Mak is not the gun for you. The power is not quite up to 9mm Parabellum, but is probably about tops for a blowback pistol of that weight and size, and is effective on its intended target, which is not moose, or brown bears or elephants, just the guy in the wrong uniform.

Jim

Brin
June 14, 2013, 03:03 PM
Awesome pistols for the money.

Telekinesis
June 14, 2013, 03:13 PM
Makarovs are great handguns. They're simple, reliable, and a lot of fun to shoot. In fact, I'm shooting more 9x18 now than nearly anything else (partially because I can almost always find relatively inexpensive ammo for it).

That said, a PA 63 is no more a Makarov than a Glock 19 is a Luger because it shoots "9mm Luger". The PA 63 is a Hungarian design with very little in common with the Makarov other than the cartridge it fires. That said, it's not a bad gun, though reports say it is rather snappy. Then again the P64 is supposed to be snappy as well but I have no problems shooting it.

The majority of the 9x18 out there is steel cased FMJ, but Hornady makes a defensive 9x18 under their "critical defense" line. Power wise, 9x18 is closer to .380 than 9x19, but it is still a good round out of a smaller gun.

Pilot
June 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
Get the Pistolet Makarov (PM) over the other pistols chambered in 9x18 (9MM Makarov). I have four Maks. Two Bulgarians, an East German, and a Russian Commercial Satin nickel in .380. They are ALL great, and shoot wonderfully.

While the E.G. is the best finished, I still think the Bulgarians are the best value. Nothing wrong with the Commercial Russian either, except some don't like the adjustable sights.

Lj1941
June 14, 2013, 06:18 PM
I don't own a Makarov as such.I have a CZ 82 which is chambered for the 9x18 or as people call it the 9MM Makarov.It has a double stack 12 round magazine and in my hands the most accurate handgun that I own.One of the first things I did after test firing it was to get a slightly heavier recoil spring. This calmed it down as far as recoil was concerned. It was available for $200+ change before the craziness started after the election. I am very sorry that I didn't buy another.My son has a Russian PM and it is also very accurate and dependable. I handload for both guns with
Berrys 95 RN and I have made 9x18 cases from cutting down regular 9x19 brass.All in all I love the little Russian round and the guns for it.:)

jhb
June 14, 2013, 07:56 PM
I got a bulgarian. Take down reminds me of the walther ppk...guess its kinda based on that? Great shooter, great design. Heavy little gun, and mil style sights.....so not for everyone. The mak round I prefer to the .380 and I like the .380. Biggest thing I learned the hard way is...check the bore.....these guns shot corrosive ammo, and cia likes to oil the bore to make 'em look clean and smooth under a quick look. If its oiled you can almost bet light to heavy sewer pipe pitting. Got a polish tok like that. Bore was oiled...once cleaned..sewerpipe. it still shoots fine, but from a cosmetic view it can be disappointing....but these are mostly surplus and the wear and such is part of the charm.

I also got a cz82.....its a bit more ergonomic, imho. Shoots a bit softer and holds more rounds. Wouldn't get rid of either, love 'em both. Course i like these soviet pistols though...toks, maks, and copies and versions made by other block countries. So I am admittingly biased.

I will say this, I've let plenty of friends shoot my mak and most dislike it allot. They find it harsh and not fun to shoot. I like shooting it.

hovercat
June 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
Hurt my hand when fired. Sold it off.

jon_in_wv
June 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
That said, a PA 63 is no more a Makarov than a Glock 19 is a Luger because it shoots "9mm Luger". The PA 63 is a Hungarian design with very little in common with the Makarov other than the cartridge it fires. T

Well said.

Shadow 7D
June 15, 2013, 01:19 AM
There is the PM Makarov
then there are the pistols chambered in 9x18 Mak...

Of them, the 4 I've handled and the 2 I've shot I like the CZ 82 (NOT a Makarov)
on handling, the mak was second, it isn't the smallest (P64), the lightest (PA-63)
but a nice in between, the 82, is pleasant to shoot, surprisingly accurate, but is a tubby girl...

Devonai
June 15, 2013, 01:21 AM
I love my Russian IJ-70, and it has been carried more often in the last two years than any of my other pistols. I bought one because they're featured prominently in the Stalker series, but I truly fell in love with it after my first trip to the range.

It is heavy for its size, compared to the M&P Shield or Kel-Tec PF-9. However, the weight is hardly prohibitive even for all day carry. I have no problem with the cartridge for its intended purpose, and the rudimentary sights are adequate for the intended distances.

There are some things I don't like about it. The IJ-70 has ugly adjustable rear sights, and the lanyard loop can dig into my side during long drives (with both IWB and OWB). Magazine changes are slower than other pistols since your support hand has to pull out the empty mag before you can grab the fresh one.

Also, I can't unload magazines by hand; if I need to unload a mag then I have to cycle the whole thing through the pistol. Since the safety must be disengaged to rack the slide, this seems to increase (however slightly) the chance of a negligent discharge. In any case I would prefer to have the safety engaged any time I manipulate the slide, but that's just me.

These negatives do not detract enough from the positives to keep me from carrying it regularly, though I do plan on having the lanyard loop removed eventually.

rondog
June 15, 2013, 01:34 AM
My PA-63 isn't much of a treat for range shooting, the aluminum frame is just too light and the recoil is harsh. But it's real handy for dropping in a pocket.

antiquus
June 15, 2013, 01:54 AM
The PA is very good, I sold one to a good friend for a carry piece and eventually found an AN-9 - same gun in .380.

I also own a Norinco PM (Russian design standard Mak) and a CZ-82. I will eventually buy a P-64, I'm pretty happy with all these Mak chambered guns.

They are all designed for military or police duty, and are solid and pretty well mannered guns, with simple teardowns, efficient mechanisms and very robust. I carry the Russian steel jacketed ammo when I carry them, just for the great penetration in a low powered cartridge.

nathan
June 15, 2013, 03:43 AM
The Hornady 115 gr FTX critical defense seems to be a great ammo with modern designs. That should put the 9 mm makarov to a higher level.

JoePfeiffer
June 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
I'll chime in on the CZ 82 as a great little pistol shooting 9mm Makarov. It is a bit snappy; there is significantly more felt recoil than my 9mm Sig 226, but it fits my hand well enough that it isn't a problem for me (my adult daughter, on the other hand, has referred to it as ''that horrible little gun that hurt my hand", so YMMV). Solid, reliable, dependable, accurate.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

M2 Carbine
June 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
I like Makarovs. :)

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Maksall15.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Maksall15.jpg.html)

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 15, 2013, 11:33 PM
What's with that one with the serrated trigger?

bluetopper
June 16, 2013, 12:48 AM
It's a special edition Miltex Mak. Around 1998 Miltex was working in conjunction with the Bulgarian Arsenal factory trying to modernize the Makarov for the US commercial market. I've had a couple of them, one blue and the other nickel plated. Gorgeous pistols. I used to have five East Germans too. I sold my last Makarov about 4 years ago when I really got in to reloading. They threw brass too far for my liking. I do miss them.

Pilot
June 16, 2013, 08:06 AM
I'll chime in on the CZ 82 as a great little pistol shooting 9mm Makarov. It is a bit snappy; there is significantly more felt recoil than my 9mm Sig 226, but it fits my hand well enough that it isn't a problem for me (my adult daughter, on the other hand, has referred to it as ''that horrible little gun that hurt my hand", so YMMV). Solid, reliable, dependable, accurate.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
The addition of the Pierce rubber grip solves that problem.

OilyPablo
June 16, 2013, 08:20 AM
I have a Makarov and two CZ-82's. Much prefer to shoot the CZ-82's. Just a comfort and accuracy thing. Patience allows buying 9X18 at not too crazy prices.

Hoffy
June 16, 2013, 09:14 AM
I understand that there is a spring kit for the 63 that will take some of the kick out of it.

One of the things that I like about (true) Makarovs is their simplicity. There is something like 33 parts, approximately half that of other autoloaders. For that reason, I've taken swapped out a trigger and done other work that I wouldn't have the confidence to do with a more complex pistol.

Weevil
June 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
I had a Bulgarian years ago and currently have a Russian in .380.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/mak380x.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/srebough/media/mak380x.jpg.html)

Very good pistols, well built, good quality pistols that will last several lifetimes with only a bare minimum of maintennance. These were designed and built for hard use by soldiers in the field and have a proven track record of decades of hard use by numerous militaries and eastern European police. Easy to work on and plenty of spare parts and mags available, not something you can say about some of it's clones like the PA-63. Parts and mags for the 63 or any of the other clones are not as common as true Maks.

The Mak and it's clones are small and underpowered by Western standards for a service pistol, and big and heavy by our CCW standards. As is typical of blowback type pistols the recoil is quite stout for the smallish caliber and the PA-63 being an Alum framed clone is even worse than a true all steel Mak.

They are a cool pistol but not the most fun range toy you'll ever shoot.

If you want one get one they're nice to have and as long as you're not expecting too much you won't be disapointed.

Personally though I'd hold out for a true Mak, I haven't been impressed with the clones I've seen or shot.

thralldad
June 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
+ 1 on the Pearce grip.

PabloJ
June 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
I have been looking at them for a while but never bought one nor have I done a lot of research on them. I saw them at Gander Mountain a few days ago for $249 for the 63 with one magazine and I think that is a decent price from what I have seen lately. There seem to be a lot of variations in the 9x18 guns and I am just looking for ideas before I jump in.

Before anyone goes all ballistic(literally) please understand that I am looking to buy one simply because I want to buy one. I have 22s, 38s, 380s, 357s, and 45s. I have semis, revolvers and derringers so I don't want or need any opinions on why some other caliber or why S&W is better. I am looking for opinions on the Makarov style pistols whether they are from Poland, Russia, China or wherever. I am not really interested in ballistics as I will probably only use this gun for plinking and only need to be "minute of paper plate". Availability of extra mags, spare parts etc will be considered. I will probably buy ammo online unless I can find some locally at a decent price because Gander didn't have any but Academy may carry it.
Jump into Glock 26. Standard magazine holds 12 9mm Luger cartridges and you can carry spare 33 rounder attached to your forearm. The 95gr 9x19 round starts out at about 1350 fps so do let them BS you that the Mak round is almost as good as the Luger.

jrdolall
June 16, 2013, 04:10 PM
Jump into Glock 26. Standard magazine holds 12 9mm Luger cartridges and you can carry spare 33 rounder attached to your forearm. The 95gr 9x19 round starts out at about 1350 fps so do let them BS you that the Mak round is almost as good as the Luger.
Pretty sure I mentioned that I already have a bunch of other calibers and wanted a Makarov style pistol because I wanted one. Actually I own 5 9mm pistols. Maybe an AR would be better?

Hurryin' Hoosier
June 16, 2013, 04:54 PM
You want to remember that a lot of people refer to any pistol chambered for 9X18 Makarov ammunition as a "Makarov". The only true Makarov is the "PM" (Pistolet Makarova) made in the Soviet Union/Russia, Bulgaria, East Germany, or China. The PM is one of the most all-time-go-to-H... ingenious designs ever crafted and is rock-solid reliable. I have currently two, have put several hundred rounds through each of them (including Russian Novo LVE, Prvi Partizan, Fiocchi, S&B, and Silver Bear) and have had exactly one malfunction - and it was caused by an after-market magazine.

Hurryin' Hoosier
June 16, 2013, 04:56 PM
The man was asking about Makarovs, Pablo - not Glocks (or blocks or bricks or globs or whatever they're called). ;)

Weevil
June 16, 2013, 05:50 PM
Pablo's wrong about the G26 anyway.

"Standard" G26 mags are only 10 rounds, to get 12 rounds they add a +2 base extension which adds to the length of the mag and of course the grip length.

33 rounders attached to your forearms???

I'm hoping Pablo's just joshing around with us.

Tenacious B
June 16, 2013, 08:09 PM
I'll add another +1 for the Pearce Grip.

I was actually thinking of selling my PM since it hurt my hand really badly, I could hardly stand going through 2 mags. My LCR was much more comfortable to shoot. I tried the Pearce Grip with the thought that if it didn't work then I would sell it. Now it is a joy to shoot. The original grips (red star and the thumby one) must have been hitting a pressure point or something.

The PM and CZ are both easily worth the money in my opinion. If I find a decent deal on an 82 I'd probably grab it too.

TennJed
June 17, 2013, 01:53 AM
I wish M2 Carbine would quit showing up in this threads. I have one commercial Russian Makarov that I LOVE, but he shows up and makes me think I need another. He is nothing but a pusherman :)

Did you even bother to take the time to read the OP? He has plenty of other guns. With all due respect what does you post have to do with his question

srtolly
June 17, 2013, 02:36 AM
I like both my Bulgarian and PA63. The 9x18 bullet itself measures at .365 so it is slightly bigger than the .355 that 9mm is. Both pf mine have eaten any ammo they have been fed. I would go for it.

Ignition Override
June 17, 2013, 03:50 AM
Somebody might have stated this, but the Hungarian and Polish (P-64) handguns made for the Makarov round are not Makarovs.

The second time I tried a friend's P-64, I had already considered buying one, and tried to like it, but still could not get used to the recoil.
For the context, all of my guns are rifles and I shoot my "Jungle Carbines" with No recoil pad.

The recoil of the Sig 226 or 228 9mm seemed ok, as with a friend's 1911.

Keeterbird
June 17, 2013, 07:04 AM
I have two Bulgarians and a CZ-82. Each of them has more than 1,500. I don't mind the blowback on the PM, bur after 150 rounds my hand gets to hurting on the CZ82, Parts are not a problem with the cz82 b/c the gun is still in production as a cz83. Other than a spring, the PM needs nothing. It is simple and solid. Both are very, very accurate.

North Bender
June 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to figure out some sort of "Is that a 33-round magazine taped to your forearm or are you just glad to see me?" line but I think I need some help.

Pablo, maybe you should tape that thing to your forehead.

Orion8472
June 17, 2013, 09:35 AM
I think the only Mak style gun that may be worse to shoot than the PA-63 is the P-64. My brother had one for a short while and . . . ouchie! :(

The Maks [as pictured a few posts up] are far easier shooting and are quite accurate.

Beentown
June 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
There is the PM Makarov
then there are the pistols chambered in 9x18 Mak...

Of them, the 4 I've handled and the 2 I've shot I like the CZ 82 (NOT a Makarov)
on handling, the mak was second, it isn't the smallest (P64), the lightest (PA-63)
but a nice in between, the 82, is pleasant to shoot, surprisingly accurate, but is a tubby girl...

Yep. My 82 is the most accurate pistol I own. It is more accurate than the other $500-$1k pistols I own. Hand loading for it has really helped.

M2 Carbine
June 17, 2013, 11:15 AM
I wish M2 Carbine would quit showing up in this threads. I have one commercial Russian Makarov that I LOVE, but he shows up and makes me think I need another. He is nothing but a pusherman
I have a couple more Makarovs since that picture was taken.
I have to update the picture if I can find all the guns.:)

This is a little unusual, a Makarov 22 conversion, made in Bulgaria.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Mak22conversion.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Mak22conversion.jpg.html)

I did a little test on a new Bulgarian Mak. The idea was to see if I could make the Mak malfunction, in a thousand rounds, from "normal" problems, like dropping the gun in the mud, pocket lint, limp wristing, etc.
There were two malfunctions. A dud primer and the hammer being blocked by mud on the first trigger pull. The gun fired on the second trigger pull and the next eight rounds.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makinmud.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Makinmud.jpg.html)

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makfiredwithmud.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Makfiredwithmud.jpg.html)

Inside of the gun filled with "pocket lint".
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makcoveredwithlint.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Makcoveredwithlint.jpg.html)

I heavily greased the gun then froze it for a while. Only problem was the gun was cold to hold and shoot.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makfrozen_2.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Makfrozen_2.jpg.html)

After the tests, checking to see how the accuracy was. The excessive spread is me, not the gun.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Maktestgun35yards.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Maktestgun35yards.jpg.html)

jrdolall
June 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
This is a little unusual, a Makarov 22 conversion, made in Bulgaria.

Any time I can get a 22 conversion it is a good thing.
Thanks for all the insight. Based on what I have read I think I will do a little more research and try to find me a nice Russian version for my first venture into Makarov "style" pistolas.
41 replies and only one person with a suggestion that made absolutely no sense based on the OP. That may be a record and, as they say, you can't fix ______.

Pilot
June 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
The Bulgarians are the best values. Great pistols.

zhyla
June 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
I have a Polish P64, which is related to Makarovs only by caliber. It's more like a PPK in 9x18. Not especially fun to shoot, but it's a compact, simple handgun. I could see carrying it though weight-wise it doesn't stack up to modern CCW options.

I do want a surplus Makarov at some point. Maybe when prices slim down a bit...

gym
June 17, 2013, 06:23 PM
Anytime the barrel is stationary it should be more accurate than a similar sixe gun with the conventional barrel design. Like the walther, that is what makes them great little guns to shoot accurately

M2 Carbine
June 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
Size comparison.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/9x18pistols.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/9x18pistols.jpg.html)

Top two on the right are Polish P64
Second row center is a PA-63. Next right is a P64.
Second row far right is a CZ83 9x18.

The rest are Makarovs.

This Mak is a refinished East German. The nicest one I've ever seen.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Makchrome.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/Makchrome.jpg.html)

jrdolall
November 14, 2013, 01:15 PM
Just an update on my search. So far I have purchased three 9x18 pistols. P-83, P-64 and PA-63. I have not found a Russian or East German Makarov locally yet.

TennJed
November 14, 2013, 03:59 PM
Nice 3 guns you got there

TParrish
November 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
Anytime the barrel is stationary it should be more accurate than a similar sixe gun with the conventional barrel design. Like the walther, that is what makes them great little guns to shoot accurately
I recently visited a friend who has a measured 100 yard range on his property, 7-inch steel gong at the end of it. A young fellow who was there was trying to hit the gong with his Sig P220, but kept missing. I stepped up and hit it with my CZ-82. Then the young fellow also hit it with my CZ-82, before returning to his P220 and continuing to be unable to hit the gong.

Significant? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. But I love telling the story. (grin) The point is, I agree about the inherent accuracy of the fixed barrel.

SC Shooter
November 14, 2013, 06:32 PM
I have purchased two Bulgarian Makarovs over the last couple of years. These seem to be the most common right now in the south east. They are a fun gun to take to the range, and a nice size for a carry. My only complaint is they have a very strong ejection and I shoot left handed. As a result, I have been hit with a hot casing on occassion.

jrdolall
November 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
I almost cannot pull the trigger on the 83 in DA with my left hand. In SA it is a decent trigger. None of the three is gonna win me any accuracy awards but, in all honesty I haven't put more than 100 rounds through either of them to this point. Recoil isn't horrible compared to a couple of pocket 380's and 9's I have.

Ammo locally is $29.95 for Fiocche FMJ or PPU and I'm not paying that. I have been able to buy it online, brass, for $15+ shipping and $14 for the steel cased so I have 1,000 rounds in transit from Selway. Over the next couple of weeks I hope to work on my accuracy.

Ignition Override
November 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
Three middle-aged friends "carry" the Polish P-64, because of the gun's compact size and reasonable price.

One guy carries it in his pocket, and it is on him every time he leaves home, with no exception.

North Bender
November 14, 2013, 08:05 PM
jrdolall, are you near an Academy Sports store? They've been selling a Russian steel cased ammo for the past couple years. Around $11.

jrdolall
November 14, 2013, 10:29 PM
My Academy has a nice sticker but hasn't had a drop of ammo since I bought the guns. Gander has the Hornady Critical Defense and occasionally some Fiocchi FMJ but they are always pretty pricey.

jrdolall
December 6, 2013, 10:25 AM
I am now up to 6 Makarov style pistols. A LGS had a couple of Hungarians for under $150 so I bought them. I also got an East German gun and am looking for one from Russia but haven't even seen one of those anywhere locally.

I got in the ammo from Selway and have worked on accuracy on the Polish guns but haven't shot the "newer" guns much yet. One thing I can say is that one of the guns can throw brass a LONG way and I mean about 50 feet. I am trying to pick up all the brass for reloads but am losing quite a few in the hay.

nightal
December 6, 2013, 11:39 AM
I got my Mak. from my son, back in the late 80s. has been a great shooter, it was a E.German police turn in, made in 1963. it came with 2 mags. a full flapped holster. he paid $89.00 for it while he was in collage, in Kansas.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone enlighten me on the Makarov pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!