44 Mag SBH True Blue 15.5 Yards Load Test

PDA

Eb1
June 14, 2013, 08:49 PM
Here is the starting load from Ramshot using True Blue and the MCB 240gr Slammers, Starline, Fed 250.

This was offhand There were two clusters of clovers. One in the bullseye and one above it. Measuring the highest to the far right hit I get a wooden ruler estimate of 1 3/4" group from top of the sting to the bottom is 1 1/2" wooden ruler guesstimate.
How would you judge this group and load? I think pretty darn good for a starting load offhand, and I don't think I broke 1000 fps. Maybe right at, but the recoil was so mild. These were loaded on my Dillon 550b, but I weighed each charge. I also started using the Redding crimp die, and the crimps are amazingly similar round to round.
The gun weighs so much, and I haven't shot it in a while. I wonder if that is why they went up in the string? Was I compensating for the weight of the revolver, and that's what moved the group up on me?

I want to load a box of 50 of these, and give them another try, but this time use the Dillon and the powder drop. Go shoot them at 15.5 and 25 yards to see what kinda accuracy I get.

Please tell me what you think. I know I am going to have to try hotter loads to verify if these are the best I can get from this combination. Saying that, I am pretty happy with the results. Here is the data from the book that you can download from Ramshot's sight:

True Blue 240 LC SWC 11.5 1,152 12.8 1,259 35,764 1.610

I didn't use LSWC even though I have a bunch I used MO Cast Bullets Slammers I think they are called, and it is a WFN bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag SBH True Blue 15.5 Yards Load Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eb1
June 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
Come on High Road. Let's get some info going here on using True Blue with the .44 Magnum.

Would you stick with this load, or move on trying for better success?

rcmodel
June 14, 2013, 11:57 PM
I'd have to shoot it further then 15 yards before I could even guess.

rc

Eb1
June 15, 2013, 12:09 AM
That is all I could shoot at this indoor range. I agree. I need to at least go to 25 yards to start to verify if the load will hold a group, but you have some folks on here posting 10 and 7 yard groups with their loads. So I thought I'd participate.

I can tell you that I have seen people shoot large caliber revolvers and pistols at 15 yards, and their groups look like buck shot or worse. This group doesn't look half bad to me compared to some I have seen.
I really think that the stringing came from me shooting the .44 last, and my wrist and forearms getting tired from shooting other guns, and then holding up the 3+ lbs SBH.

But I will get some 25 yard and 50 yard groups. Posted. Might try to get to the outdoor range tomorrow. Twenty-five and fifty yards with my eyesight is a very hard shot with open sights. Especially when the sights are at arms length and only 7 to 8" from each other.

But we'll see how it goes. If nothing else is to be said about today's range visit it is this. My windage seems to be on, and POA POI are pretty good with this load.

vongh
June 15, 2013, 12:25 AM
I think that group looks pretty good and I bet it was a lot fun of shooting too.

Walkalong
June 15, 2013, 09:49 AM
The vertical stringing is you. True Blue is some good stuff. It is far less position sensitive that many in it approximate burn speed range.

Here is a target I shot at 7 yards through the chrono testing a True Blue .45 Colt load. I need to play with it some more.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175241&stc=1&d=1353794630

If you enjoyed reading about "44 Mag SBH True Blue 15.5 Yards Load Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!