Ruger 22/45 question

PDA

Rittmeister
June 14, 2013, 08:42 PM
So - I recently picked up a MkIII 22/45 and had it to the range today for the first time. I was QUITE pleased with the accuracy, as I was shooting 1/2-dollar sized groups offhand at 10 yards. I know that's no great shakes but it's good for me ;)

Anyway, I had done a good bit of research on the pistol before purchasing and had read a number of times that you should not use the bolt catch to release the bolt (which is natural to me from my experience with other semiautos). This annoyed me but I was prepared to slingshot the bolt when reloading, just to follow directions and ensure long life for the pistol's parts.

However, I found today that I could NOT chamber a new round by slingshotting the bolt when it was locked back. I would pull on it, but it wouldn't move forward when I released it. When I pushed down on the bolt catch, the gun would chamber a new round no problem.

On closer examination I found that the bolt catch seems to have a spring-loaded ball detent similar to the thumb safety on a Hi-Power. This detent appears to hold the bolt catch in its upward position even when I pull back on the bolt to chamber a new round.

If I load a new magazine with the bolt forward and the bolt catch down, I can chamber a round by pulling the bolt back and releasing, as it should.

Anyone else have this issue?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22/45 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
June 14, 2013, 08:50 PM
Its a quirk of the 22/45 MKIII sling-shotting the bolt doesn't work after inserting a fresh magazine, annoying, but it is what it is :(

Drives my wife batty as she hates the levers since they can be hard on her manicure :)

The_Guy
June 14, 2013, 09:09 PM
check out the slingshot mod for the 22/45

Fishbed77
June 14, 2013, 11:14 PM
Its a quirk of the 22/45 MKIII sling-shotting the bolt doesn't work after inserting a fresh magazine, annoying, but it is what it is

Strange. I can slingshot my Mark III just fine.

mjsdwash
June 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
yea, my mk lll standard has no issue. Maybe the plastic frame.

weblance
June 14, 2013, 11:49 PM
The Mark III 22/45 requires the bolt stop lever to be manually pushed downward, while pulling back the bolt. Do the "slingshot mod" and gravity will drop the lever for you. There are also mods that use a spring to push down the lever.

Dentite
June 15, 2013, 12:29 AM
I just hold the button down with my thumb while I sling-shot it.

Rittmeister
June 15, 2013, 01:12 AM
Ah so! This is normal. Interesting. Hilarious that all over various 'boards I'm told to slingshot and not use the catch, but you gotta hold down the catch to slingshot it.

I'll look up the slingshot mod. I've already got a bushing on order to remove the mag disconnect, so I'll have it apart soon for that; might as well do both at once.

Thanks all!

weblance
June 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have a Mark II Target I bought new in the 80s. I was shocked when I bought my first Mark III 22/45. I have always slingshotted the Mark II and thought my 22/45 had been shipped without the spring loaded release lever. Only after I bought 2 more 22/45s did I realize they were designed that way. I prefer the 22/45, but pushing down the release lever always seemed odd to me. Every other auto pistol I own has a spring loaded release lever.

wally
June 15, 2013, 11:39 AM
Strange. I can slingshot my Mark III just fine.

The MK III is a quite different pistol than the 22/45 MKIII, although the uppers are pretty close to being the same.

Pilot
June 15, 2013, 11:47 AM
I have four MK II's, but if I was forced to buy a MK III I would certainly remove the mag disconnect, and loaded chamber indicator, and if it was a 22/45 I'd also do the sling shot mod.

StrutStopper
June 17, 2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, from the factory you need to hold the bolt catch down while slingshotting. If you pull out the detent and spring (gravity slingshot mod) then you won't need to worry about holding the catch down. It will slingshot without holding the catch. There are some other spring-assisted mods available to make sure the bolt catch stays down but the gravity mod has worked fine for me. Best thing, its free. You're removing parts, not adding anything.

mboe794
June 17, 2013, 12:47 PM
I did the mod first without adding the spring. Then later added the spring. YouTube taught me how to do it. Now it works just like every othe semi auto I own.

Took apart a couple ball point pens til I found a spring of appropriate diameter. Then cut to length.

Rittmeister
June 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
Just installed the new bushing to remove the mag disconnect. Mags drop free, trigger pull is a little nicer. Will have to decide about the slingshot mod - getting it back together was a little fiddly until I realized that the sear had rotated out of place while I wasn't looking. It's good to go now but for a little bit there I was confused...

Anyway, thanks for all the input!

hentown
June 18, 2013, 06:54 PM
There's nothing to the slingshot mod. You just remove the detent and spring from the bolt release. Just push out the trigger pin and pull the trigger up so you can get the bolt release out. Really simple. Even Gump could do it! (probably blindfolded)

1KPerDay
June 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
google bullseye gun aw hell... here you go
http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

:)

best detailed how-to I've ever seen.

As noted above, simply remove the spring and plunger from the slide stop... it'll work by gravity just like the MK1 and MKII pistols do.

Easy, peasy.

CowardlyHero
June 22, 2013, 05:08 AM
Personally I dont like the sling-shot mod on my gun as the slide release rattles around with nothing to hold it in place after you remove the spring and plunger. YMMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 22/45 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!