I have a question for the pros

PDA

gamestalker
June 15, 2013, 02:09 AM
This is a question that surrounds an availability or production shortage question. Say things get really bad because of the left side trying to reduce our ability to load our own. Considering we have brass that can be formed to fit an application, but the only primers we have in our stock pile are large pistol, and large rifle, could small primer pockets be converted to large in some cartridges, and still be safe to shoot?

And could brass that was previously intended for a cartridge that uses LP or LR, be reformed for another cartridge that previously used small primers. An example would be the .357 mag using brass that is large primed.

GS

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question for the pros" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
June 15, 2013, 02:29 AM
In your example, just look for very old .357 Magnum brass, since it first came out with a large pistol primer. I also have .38 Special brass that was made for the large pistol primers. When I first started loading in 1963 you had your choice.

As for your rhetorical question, anything is possible with the time and tools to do it. When I bought my first 9x19 handgun in 1965, there was no 9x19 ammunition to be had anywhere, so I made my own brass by cutting down .38 Spl. brass and using a file to reduce the rim and cut an extractor groove while the brass spun in my drillpress. There were also no 9x19 reloading dies available, so I loaded it with .38 Spl. dies, using a 146 gr. RN bullet and working my load up from scratch. Necessity is the mother of invention.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Comrade Mike
June 15, 2013, 02:52 AM
Possible yes, with a drill press and a bit of the correct diameter.

Would I do it? Not unless I had no other options.

jmorris
June 15, 2013, 09:29 AM
Sure but you will run out of thoes too.

How about making your own priming compound?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182089-can-you-make-priming-compound

LUCKYDAWG13
June 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
you can get 45ACP in LPP or SPP so if you had to why not but i don't think
that things will get that bad components are starting to come back

RandyP
June 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
I think you have just ably stated the mental process that went into so, so many reloaders' minds when they decided to hoard components beyond realistic needs which then greatly contributed to our current shortages and price gouging - lol

elwoodm
June 15, 2013, 12:50 PM
that being said your actions are exactly what is being watched for those pukes to plan the next move. please don't do anything out of the ordinary. act like nothing has changed will send the right message to those that are trying to change things. the puppet master smiles at the ignorant. :mad: the stuff we need is coming back just slower than we like.

mdi
June 15, 2013, 01:03 PM
I would check a cross section drawing (or cut one myself) of a case to see how much metal there is in the web/head of the case. There may be enough metal to enlarge a small primer pocket into a large primer pocket, with a drill, reamer, etc. For going from small primer to a large primer I would think it would be easier. Find/fabricate a brass bushing with the ID for a small primer and an OD of a large primer. I think I would insert the bushing into the case with some Loktite green or red to keep it in place, then press the small primer into the bushing. Both methods of changing the primer pocket aren't too complex, but would be pretty labor intensive. But in any case where this is needed, you'd have plenty of time...

mdi
June 15, 2013, 01:06 PM
that being said your actions are exactly what is being watched for those pukes to plan the next move. please don't do anything out of the ordinary. act like nothing has changed will send the right message to those that are trying to change things. the puppet master smiles at the ignorant. :mad: the stuff we need is coming back just slower than we like.
Aluminum foil hat a little too tight?

243winxb
June 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/357PrimersLargesmall.jpg Keep a flint lock close by. :D Not all webs are the same thickness. Thin may not holdup as well at high pressure. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/223web.jpg RC's photo of sectioned cases, give an idea of how much & how thick brass is. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/WebMarkedCase_01.jpg To use a small primer in a large pocket, think shotgun primer.

jmorris
June 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
beyond realistic needs

"Realistic" only applies if you are not out of something.

The guy sitting on 100k of primers has an advantage over the guy looking for 100.

243winxb
June 15, 2013, 05:48 PM
Using shotgun primers here> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26766-What-drill-sizes I would guess, safe for low pressure loadings only??

gamestalker
June 15, 2013, 06:53 PM
ReloaderFred, I did not know that .357 mag and 38 spcl. were once made with large pockets. Very interesting, and because I posted this thread i learned something new, thanks!

GS

ReloaderFred
June 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
In 1963, the gun shop I bought most of my reloading supplies from had two big fish bowls full of .38 Special brass, and another two for .357 Magnum brass. One bowl was for large pistol primed cases and the other was for small pistol primed cases. I still have some of the large pistol primed .38 Spl. cases, but wore out the large pistol primed .357 Magnum brass many, many years ago.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1SOW
June 16, 2013, 01:46 AM
A large primer hole could easily be brazed and re-drilled for small primers.
Small holes could be made large

jmorris
June 16, 2013, 11:27 AM
A large primer hole could easily be brazed and re-drilled for small primers.

That would be one way to ensure that the entire case is annealed....not a good idea.

Hondo 60
June 17, 2013, 08:37 PM
and still be safe to shoot?

That right there's the $64,000 question.
I wouldn't just for safety concerns.

If you enjoyed reading about "I have a question for the pros" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!