.38 spl. ?

PDA

knighthawk-72
June 16, 2013, 09:31 PM
can you load .38 spl brass to .38 spl. +P data

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 spl. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flgolfer29
June 16, 2013, 09:44 PM
yes

zxcvbob
June 16, 2013, 10:10 PM
Another "yes".

beatledog7
June 16, 2013, 10:11 PM
Yes, but make sure the gun you're going to use can handle it. The brass is not the limiting element.

Comrade Mike
June 16, 2013, 10:40 PM
Absolutely, the only difference between .38 special and .38 special +P brass is the head stamp.

ApacheCoTodd
June 16, 2013, 11:48 PM
if you're anything like me and are committing brass outside of regular parameters think about marking the heads yourself. I use various silver hallmark stamps or a set of English 1/16 inch number/letter stamps.

kerreckt
June 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
+P ammo is simply ammo that is loaded to the higher end of the SAAMI spec. Really, it's largely a marketing ploy. It seems that years ago factory ammo was loaded hotter than it is now. They started loading it milder and then came out with the +p designation. That's my take on it, anyway.

Steve C
June 17, 2013, 02:40 AM
With the .38 spl and the 9mm Luger a +P stamp on the case is for load discrimination as the case for both pressure levels are identical. For the .45 ACP the +P cases have a thicker web and less volume than the standard case.

gamestalker
June 17, 2013, 05:39 AM
As stated, "yes", but make sure the firearm your using is capable of safely handling +P pressures. I load and shoot a lot of +P ammunition for 38 spcl. but I only shoot it out of my K frame revolvers.
The brass really doesn't have anything to do with +P capability, it's always the firearm that handles, or doesn't, handle pressures.

GS

knighthawk-72
June 17, 2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I thought in was the same but it is always better to be sure then taking a chance.

homatok
June 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
If you drop dead tomorrow, will someone be getting/shooting those +P loads? Will they know those loads are not generic (mild) 38 loads? Do they have a gun capeable of handling the pressure? Can you do it---yes you can---but should you?

Muddydogs
June 17, 2013, 10:36 AM
but should you?

Why not? Label the rounds as +P, there is no difference between a factory box of +P and handloads with a good loading label stating there +P.

Comrade Mike
June 17, 2013, 12:34 PM
Unless you're carrying your reloads there's no much reason the load +P. some would even argue you don't need to carry +P ammunition. But to each his own. All my model 10 sees are midrange loads and they shoot beautifully.

Bruno2
June 17, 2013, 06:25 PM
I hope everybody labels and relabels the boxes they use to put reloads in. I know I do

Date
Caliber
Primer (brand)
Powder (brand and gr wt)
Brass (brand on headstamp sometimes once fired or whatever)
Bullet (brand/type/gr wt)
Sometimes velocity

homatok
June 18, 2013, 02:12 PM
Headstamped??? or just a labeled box? If just the box what about loose rounds?

Miss Stana
June 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
headstamping is a really good idea. I've had to take apart several bullets because 'I wasn't sure' of the exact load.

zxcvbob
June 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
Headstamped??? or just a labeled box? If just the box what about loose rounds?
You can color-code them using cheap fingernail polish on the case heads or primers. (make sure you write down the key info) This is especially important if you load over-pressure ammo, like .38-44, or .45 Colt +P. You want to be able to tell at a glance that "this is something weird, I better go look it up before I shoot it" if it gets separated from the box.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 spl. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!