Check your brass.

PDA

maxyedor
June 16, 2013, 11:58 PM
Missed 1 piece of berdan primed brass, whoops! Pulled the handle, it all felt normal, until I saw the split neck, hmmm. Look at the die:banghead:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/maxyedor/photo-12_zps30fdae9c.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/maxyedor/media/photo-12_zps30fdae9c.jpg.html)

Wouldn't be so bad if this was the last few from the batch, but of course it was the 5th piece of brass in a batch of about 2k. Guess I get to shoot factory ammo next weekend, and make my first ever call to Lee customer service. Just hope they have a spare in stock I can buy so I can get back to it ASAP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check your brass." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bds
June 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
How tight did you have the collet on the pin?

I also use Lee dies and when I come across Berdan primed cases, the depriming pin simply gets pushed up in the collet instead of breaking or bending.

kerreckt
June 17, 2013, 12:28 AM
That was exactly what I was thinking when I read it was a Lee deprimer. I always use my Lee deprimer when there is a chance of Berdan primed brass. The collet feature has saved many pin/rod assemblies...but only if I don't have it cranked down too tight.

Sport45
June 17, 2013, 12:45 AM
Just use a larger die to decap them if you don't have a universal decapping die.

Then grind the bent part off that one and you'll be back in business.

I thought Lee used bearing needles for decapping pins. I've seen them break, but never bend that much. Yours looks like it's all one piece with the rod and pin machined together.

maxyedor
June 17, 2013, 01:29 AM
My Lee 9mm and 45 de-capping pins have slipped about a million times. This is a new set of dies, 1st time I used them, so the collet was set at the factory. It was definitely way tighter than I'm ever set any of my other dies.

Ordered a universal de-capper from Amazon, I'll have it Tuesday, and have lots of other dies to de-cap with, so can keep going. just hate adding the step. Midway has the replacements and a few other things I need, so I'm probably just going to skip calling Lee. I've heard they replace them for free, but this was totally my fault, $5 lesson learned, hopefully somebody sees this and saves themselves in the future.

oldreloader
June 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
Like bds said, if it's not TOO tight it should slip before bending.

KansasSasquatch
June 17, 2013, 01:52 AM
The first time I missed a piece of Berdan brass was with a new set of Lee 7.62x54r dies. It just felt like an underlubed casing. When I took it out of the shellholder the die was fine. But it punch right through and made a new flash hole. I didn't want to find out the hard way what 3 flash holes would do so I made it a permanent dummy round. I'm not a huge fan of Lee dies but they sure them tougher than some others.

rondog
June 17, 2013, 02:22 AM
A $2.98 Rayovac Brilliant Solutions LED penlight from Walmart is the best case inspection tool you can get. In the Sporting Goods Dept., they're cheap, buy several. You'll be glad you did and will get in the habit of always carrying one.

gamestalker
June 17, 2013, 05:43 AM
I've never had that happen before. Mine always just slip back up. And I've just been plain lucky with my other dies that don't have that colet feature, I always seem to feel the resistance before things go critical.

GS

greyling22
June 17, 2013, 09:11 AM
For whatever reason, lee seems to set their collects too tight at the factory. After breaking a few pins I now reset every new die set that I buy.

dickttx
June 17, 2013, 09:23 AM
Take a picture of the pin, attach it to an e=mail to Lee and they will send you a new one at no cost.

fguffey
June 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
“Check your brass” I check my brass, first? I sort by head stamp, sorting by head stamp reduces the chance of surprises. I n my lifetime I have one R-P 270 Berdan primed case. There was that time I purchased 23,000 once fired cases, I sorted by head stamp, during sorting I found 2 Berdan cases, after I finished I could not find the 2 Berdan primed cases. The good part? Both were/are 9mm cases.

Then there is that part about ‘what it takes to put a reloader out of business’. I have primer punches of all description including parts and pieces of Lee sets and kits, “Check your brass?” When punching primers make sure the primers are not live, I remove live primers as a need, not a habit, if the primer is live remember, you should have been wearing safety glasses, and, the primer could take off.

F. Guffey

higgite
June 17, 2013, 10:04 AM
My Lee 9mm and 45 de-capping pins have slipped about a million times. This is a new set of dies, 1st time I used them, so the collet was set at the factory. It was definitely way tighter than I'm ever set any of my other dies.

Since the collet was tightened too much at the factory, I'd think a call to Lee was in order. If it was their fault, a free decapping rod should be in the mail immediately. Even if you have already ordered another one, having a spare ain't all bad, either.

Rule3
June 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
As mentioned above. LEE warranties their pins for life. But it is for breakage, not sure about bending:)

Just send a E mail (getting through on the phone is tough)

stubbicatt
June 17, 2013, 10:58 AM
I've had this happen with Lee dies too. Seems the torque on the collet is critical: just a skosh too little, and the rod extends when trying to decap crimped in primers. Too much, and it breaks or bends as you can see here.

I will say that I really like Lee dies and use them for all my reloading. I have other dies for match ammo that is neck turned and I wish to keep neck tension all the same between them.

Lee is very prompt about replacing such things. Good luck!

maxyedor
June 17, 2013, 03:16 PM
I'll send Lee an email, having loaded tens of thousands of rounds on their dies with no issues, I'm not too bummed that I finally broke something.

I sorted this brass, and thought it was 100% Lake City from the same batch, looks like it was 1999 Lake City, and 1 goofy Chinese case. I'll just start checking the head-stamp as I put them in the press, that's all I need to see, the random brass gets thrown in the scrap bin.

aka108
June 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
If I've ever had a Berdan case get into a batch of cases I sizing and decapping it's easy to feel the resistance before damage occurs. When something doesn't feel right in the process, stop because something is not right. No need to use gorilla force and break a tool.

BBQJOE
June 17, 2013, 08:16 PM
When something doesn't feel right in the process, stop because something is not right. No need to use gorilla force and break a tool.
There are two choices I have found on this topic.
A. Stop, look for problem.
B. Continue to pull handle, find problem immediately.

If you enjoyed reading about "Check your brass." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!