Why are free email accts. allowed here?

PDA

Impureclient
June 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
At silencertalk they don't allow signing up using "free" email accounts like yahoo/hotmail/gmail....
Why do they have such a problem and you don't in here? They complain about spammers and having to remove their posts.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62634

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are free email accts. allowed here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
June 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
I can't say much about silencertalk, but we have our own spam mitigation methods in effect.

Plus, we have the best moderators on the 'net. It's the latter more than the former that makes a difference.

Impureclient
June 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
OK, thanks. I figured a workaround. Well not really. I just had to set up an email account through my website to be able to set up an account at silencertalk.

Somebody in here mentioned that in there, they were doing a group buy on doing a melonite coating on the Silencerco Sparrows. They made it difficult to log in there but it's all good now.

Yeah, the moderators in here are on the ball 24/7.

Arkansas Paul
June 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
There are email accounts that aren't free?
That shows how up to date I am on technological things.

walker944
June 17, 2013, 07:34 PM
Why would anyone pay for an email account? Makes no sense to me!! :o

N003k
June 17, 2013, 07:59 PM
'Paid' email accounts are the ones you usually get through your internet company (SoandSo@att.net or Blahblah@comcast.net)

Personally, while I "have" a paid account...I'll be damned if I've ever used it. I don't even have the cable bills sent to it, the free accounts (In my case, gmail) are much more convenient to get to and use...anywhere that requires a paid email account is somewhere I'd personally not even bother going through the trouble of signing up for, just not worth the headache to me.

As such, I'm quite glad that THR doesn't require them, since I rather like it here! :neener:

TennJed
June 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
One of the Sig Forums doesn't allow yahoo accounts. It was annoying when I tried to enroll so I didn't. Don't think I am missing anything, and they don't have the pleasure of having my wit, charm, intelligence, experience, knowledge, and humor. Their loss.

I am glad THR allows it (as do LOTS of forums)

allaroundhunter
June 17, 2013, 08:28 PM
My only paid account is my university email. I keep that one strictly for school stuff and never use it otherwise... During the summer I'm lucky if I check it twice a month :o

WardenWolf
June 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
The best way to stop spam is with custom CAPTCHAs that ask a logical question that only a human can answer. Another good way, as a secondary measure, is to slightly modify your forum software if you can. Spammers rely on standard software packages that they can parse through to automatically enter data into the signup fields. Even a slight change, like adding an extra field or requiring an extra button press, breaks their automated signup procedure.

Feanaro
June 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
That's one of the more annoying spam deterrents out there. I don't use my ISP's email because it sucks. I'm not sure I could log into it without sifting through some stuff or calling tech support. Consequently, if I can't use my gmail account, I just don't join a site.

Mal H
June 18, 2013, 05:22 PM
There's not really any need for further discussion on the question, so ... closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are free email accts. allowed here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!