electronic hearing protection?

PDA

BunnMan
June 17, 2013, 05:04 PM
I'd like to pick up a few sets of electronic earmuffs. Teaching my daughters and girlfriend how to shoot would go a lot smoother if we weren't yelling back and forth all the time, lol. After some poking around online I like the design of ones I've seen from Peltor that are behind the neck instead of over the head, they seem to get mixed reviews though. The Howard Leights for about the same price seem to get better reviews but are over the head, they have a jack for an aux input too. Anybody use anything like this? What do you like? I'm trying to keep the price at $75 or less as I gotta buy two.

Thanks,

-BunnMan

If you enjoyed reading about "electronic hearing protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schwing
June 17, 2013, 05:07 PM
I like the pair of Howard Leights that I have. I would point out though that the aux jack has proven to be almost useless to me. I have plugged a media player into it and and my cell phone ( for mowing etc) the volume is very poor so as to be unusable for this application.

For the price though, I think it is hard to do better for range use.

mdauben
June 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
The Howard Leights for about the same price seem to get better reviews but are over the head, they have a jack for an aux input too.
I've got a pair of the HL electonic ear muffs which I really like. Personally, I don't care for the behind the head bands, they just don't fit me as securly and the over the head HLs work just fine over a ball cap, which is what I usually wear if I wear a hat while shooting.

hso
June 17, 2013, 05:11 PM
Plenty of recommendations for the Howard Leight Impact Sports have been made here in Accessories.

You only want the behind the neck if you're wearing something rigid on your head that prevents the band from going over the top of the head. You're fit, and therefore protection, will be better the better the muffs fit.

Also, you want to use ear plugs under the muffs and turn the volume up on the muffs so you can carry out conversations with the maximum protection against the noise of gunshots.

Resist Evil
June 17, 2013, 05:13 PM
I had the Peltor behind the neck muffs. They were OK. I moved along to more effective, heavier, but more expensive ones.

I had been thinking about gifting a set of Howard Leight Impact muffs for a friend of mine since I get tired of shouting to him at matches.

rcmodel
June 17, 2013, 05:20 PM
I have both an over-the-head electronic from Dillon, and a regular pair of very old AO behind-the-head's from my Army match shooting days.

I much prefer the behind-the-head model AO's.

They allow you to wear a hat or high crown baseball cap in hot weather.

The Dillon's have a black head cushion pad, and they get so hot in hot summer sun they will blister my bald head.
And of course, they won't fit over a boonie hat with the brim unsnapped for summer shade either.

I think they are made by Peltor in Dillon blue.
I've been meaning to contact them and see if I can buy just the BTH headband and convert mine, but haven't got a Round Tuit.

Other then that, I like the Dillon/Peltor just fine.

rc

BunnMan
June 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks yall...I guess I posted in the wrong place initially but I found it here :)

I ordered 2 sets of the Howard Leights for $85.98 total delivered on Amazon. Hope they make it here before the weekend so I can try em out!

allaroundhunter
June 18, 2013, 12:20 PM
Bunnman, you won't be disappointed. They are great muffs for the price, and their low profile makes it easier to use them when shooting long guns.

hso
June 18, 2013, 03:53 PM
AND they battery replacement is much easier than the Peltors

BunnMan
June 20, 2013, 03:28 PM
The Howard Leights arrived at the office today. Comfortable enough after I figure out how to adjust them, instructions are a little weak. The volume of ambient noises is definitely amplified. Typing on my laptop sounds like an old Smith Corona with them on and cranked up all the way. Schwing was right about the aux jack...sound quality, though stereo, is old school telephone-ish. Wish I woulda brought my pistol to work so I could try out the suppression :)

hso
June 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
Remember to wear plugs under them as well.

Lost Sheep
June 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
Also, you want to use ear plugs under the muffs and turn the volume up on the muffs so you can carry out conversations with the maximum protection against the noise of gunshots.
I tried plugs and electronic muffs (three different brands) and found that with my earplugs in place the sound from the electronic muffs was completely inaudible. No matter what volume setting I used, I could not tell if the things were turned on or off, much less make any practical use of double protection.

I attributed it to the sound reproduction system (microphone, electronics or speakers) not reproducing frequencies that can pass my earplugs.

I even posted a thread a couple years ago asking about that, but got no good answers.

hso (or anyone) who has observed how to resolve my problem with this phenomonn, please post. I trust this post is not off subject. Hearing instructions through both muffs and plugs, I think, is worth the risk of a short hijack.

Lost Sheep

hso
June 23, 2013, 09:55 AM
There's nothing special I do with my Peltors or that my buddy does with his Howard Leights. We're wearing foam plugs and have the volume turned up on the muffs to where we hear each other without bellowing to each other.

WardenWolf
June 23, 2013, 06:49 PM
Howard Leights have taken over largely because they're cheap ($70) and just as good as $200 electronic muffs. I strongly recommend them, as they're lightweight and comfortable. Normally I don't use earplugs under them, although sometimes it can be beneficial. They're plenty loud, too, so even with earplugs you should be able to hear just fine.

They're comfortable enough to wear hunting, and can even enhance your hearing.

Longhorn 76
June 23, 2013, 07:34 PM
MSA Sordin. Way out of your range, but I can hear my iPod well when double plugged. If it' going to be hot, having the batteries outside of the ear up is very important, as I have had ProEars and others that corrode with the sweat.

If you enjoyed reading about "electronic hearing protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!