CPLofMARINES
June 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
Does anyone have any first hand experience with Simply
Rugged holsters and belts. I hear they are American made
And very reputable. Also, how do they compare to Galco,
Namely the Combat Master and Concealed Carry. From
What I can gather they are about $30 to $40 less than the
Galco leather. Thank you for any help, I would be looking
For some leather for my Security-Six. (My Father-in-Laws)
Rest his soul. I lost one of my best friends.

SEMPER FI

If you enjoyed reading about "Simply Rugged ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Iggy
June 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
One of the best bangs for the buck around.

I use one every day.

back40
June 18, 2013, 09:24 PM
i have a sourdough pancake for a gp100 that i really like. i also ordered an ammo wallet, and a belt. the ammo wallet came wrapped in paper and showed signs of the die soaking through (paper was wet). it bled onto anything it touched, even onto my hands from simply handling it, and was very floppy. i called and was told to let it dry in the sun for a few days. i received a new one shortly there after which didn't bleed and was a bit stiffer, but the dying was very uneven. i've been letting the original dry in a sunny window sill for over a year. the belt, was not as stiff as i'd expect a gunbelt to be, and the last ten or so inches where the holes are punched for the buckle, the edges are frayed, not burnished nicely lie most belts i own. so much so, that it tends to leave the very tip flimsy and difficult to feed through all but the loosest of belt loops.

the holster, although a bit rough, is great. by rough i mean that the edges aren't perfect, the dying isn't perfectly consistent, etc. but it's a great design, fits well, and has great retention.

my experience with the belt is the biggest disappointment, and leaves me torn, because i need another holster for another gun, but wonder what the quality will be this time around.

perhaps i just got a poor example of what is otherwise great craftsmanship, but it definitely gives me pause to send them more money.

Sergei Mosin
June 18, 2013, 10:35 PM
Simply Rugged is a fine choice for a revolver rig. Not the world's greatest photo, but here's mine:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=176383&d=1355997128

m3mh0g
June 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
I have 5 simply rugged holsters. Sourdough pancakes, one silver dollar pancake, one regular Cuda, and my crown jewel is a cuda made from shark skin and horsehide. They have great prices, and a great product. He also has some very nice exotics if that's your thing (wildebeest, hippo, gator belly, etc.)

I highly recommend Rob and his crew.

almostfree
June 18, 2013, 11:53 PM
I like mine. I carry a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt quite frequently while working either on my hip or in their chesty puller rig if I am carrying a backpack. It has held up well through a lot of abuse and getting wet. It isn't as nice as any of my Milt Sparks holsters or anything, but it is a great woods holster.

CraigC
June 19, 2013, 12:49 PM
Rob is a great guy and his shop turns out really good gunleather. I've been wanting to get them to do me a 1911 concealment rig in black elephant or wildebeest but may end up doing it myself.

IMHO, Bianchi and Galco are overrated and overpriced.

jeepnik
June 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
Good products from a good company. Rob has proved that until you get into custom leatherwork, much of what is sold today is overpriced.

I

CraigC
June 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
And that a lot of custom leather work is actually even less expensive than standard fare from the big names. Personally, despite the fact that I do my own, I won't ever buy any more big name brands. Even El Paso Saddlery. There's just too much great hand-crafted leather available from smaller shops. Shops that will actually do custom work. Even EPS doesn't deviate from their standard offerings.

I'd recommend this guy (member Eaglestroker), for one:
http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/

CPLofMARINES
June 19, 2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you, everyone. Yes, Galco does seem a bit high.
So, will they make you a holster to fit something with
An uncommon barrel length ??

HankR
June 19, 2013, 04:08 PM
Don't own any Galco, but can highly recommend Simply Rugged. Good stuff.

Valkman
June 20, 2013, 03:49 AM
So, will they make you a holster to fit something with
An uncommon barrel length ??

I'm sure they'll make anything you want.

CPLofMARINES
June 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone, gonna definitely order one and a
Matching belt as well.

SEMPER FI

marcodo
June 20, 2013, 01:49 PM
Got one for a Smith 629 4 inch. Carries well but don't love it. Should have purchased a more "form fitting" one

CPLofMARINES
June 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
marcodo, really, that's what I would want is good form
And retention. So, this would be for a Security-Six 4"
What do you think??

back40
June 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
the sourdough pancake for my gp100 has plenty of retention, but not what i would consider great form. without the holster on my hip and the belt pulling the loops of the 'pancake' snug, the gun easily falls free of the holster. while wearing it, though, i have no worries about retention.

CPLofMARINES
June 21, 2013, 12:03 AM
back40, thank you, I have a few Galco's, thought to
check out something else, like Simply Rugged, little
More reasonably priced as well. I like the fact that they
Are not a cookie cutter product. So, far what I have seen
They have a wide selection.

JTQ
June 21, 2013, 09:30 AM
back40 wrote,
...without the holster on my hip and the belt pulling the loops of the 'pancake' snug, the gun easily falls free of the holster. while wearing it, though, i have no worries about retention.
That is the basic conceptual design of the pancake style holster.

Johannes_Paulsen
June 21, 2013, 09:58 AM
Bought one as a gift for my dad. Appears to be high quality, decent price, reasonable turnaround times. Can't speak to long-term durability yet, but I was happy with how it looked when I took it out of the box.

blindhari
June 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have a Simply Rugged for a Ruger SP101 that I carry crossdraw. While I was at it I ordered the extra Chesty Puller (?) harness. Holster is concealable, drivable and with the chest harness becomes your best friend when you are out trout fishing. Highly recommend.

blindhari

FloriDave
June 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
I really like my Simply Rugged Holsters...

http://www.daveharper.com/inetphotos/SuperBearcat3.jpg

http://www.daveharper.com/Webpics/Guns/SRHholster8.jpg

Zebraranger
June 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
I've had mine now for about 3 years or so and its been a great field holster for my 6" GP100.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/zebraranger/Collection/014-1-1_zps785be163.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/zebraranger/media/Collection/014-1-1_zps785be163.jpg.html)

back40
June 22, 2013, 04:48 PM
That is the basic conceptual design of the pancake style holster.

JTQ, i'm aware of this. my post was to contrast marcodo's, in which he stated he should've bought something more form fitting. there are more form fitted (boned) pancake holsters out there, simply rugged isn't one of them. however, as stated, i've had no issue with retention.

Water-Man
June 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
I only have one of their products but I'm completely satisfied with the one I have.

460Kodiak
June 22, 2013, 05:14 PM
One of the best bangs for the buck around.

Yep. You won't be sorry.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174560&d=1352659743

farm23
July 14, 2013, 03:14 PM
I have the sourdough for my 629 - 3" along with the 1 3/4" belt and ammo pouch. The belt and holster are with me most every day and do a great job. When I am riding a horse I have added a thong but it probably is not needed. When I get my next gun it will be a Simply Rugged or maybe one from CraigC if he does outside work.

jeepnik
July 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
I really need to stay away from SR's site. Just got this one.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/dynamic/images/greenn%20house%20005.JPG

I discovered their "Sale" page, and wouldn't you know it they have a few for us southpaws.

lemondrop9344
September 29, 2013, 12:52 PM
A few years ago I purchased a Sourdough Pancake with a Chesty Puller setup for my 5" 686 Pro. The thought being.... I could carry it on my belt OWB as well as a sort of shoulder rig when performing rigorous activities. The pictures on the web site reflects what appear to be will boned holsters. This let me to believe the mouth of the holster would remain open to facilitate re-holstering the weapon one handed.

I found this holster to be completely unsuitable for use where one handed re-holstering was needed (Mas Ayoob's Mag/40 class). The class requirement was to re-holster the revolver, one handed, trigger finger down the side & thumb on the hammer. I can't tell you how miserably I failed to accomplish this task with the Simply Rugged holster. Several of the instructors advised my best be would be to change to a different holster for the balance of the class. I had a very cheap 3 person style holster with very stiff leather which held the mouth of the holster open I used for the balance of the class.

Upon my return from the class, I emailed Simply Rugged regarding reinforcing the mouth of the holster in some fashion so as to keep the mouth open. The softness of the leather was such the holster essentially closed up and made one handed re-holstering impossible. I never received a reply.

Based on my experience, I would offer the opinion this holster is not really a suitable holster for concealed carry or tightly molded to the gun as their web site states. I would also offer the opinion there customer service is less than stellar as I have no record of ever receiving a response to my email. I was prepared to pay for this service, but, no response.

A little food for thought, there is probably a good reason why some holster makers have such a long lead time. Their products work as advertised and they have stellar customer service. For my money; C. Rusty Sherrick is the way to go even with the wait time.

lemondrop9344
September 29, 2013, 12:53 PM
A few years ago I purchased a Sourdough Pancake with a Chesty Puller setup for my 5" 686 Pro. The thought being.... I could carry it on my belt OWB as well as a sort of shoulder rig when performing rigorous activities. The pictures on the web site reflects what appear to be will boned holsters. This led me to believe the mouth of the holster would remain open to facilitate re-holstering the weapon one handed.

I found this holster to be completely unsuitable for use where one handed re-holstering was needed (Mas Ayoob's Mag/40 class). The class requirement was to re-holster the revolver, one handed, trigger finger down the side & thumb on the hammer. I can't tell you how miserably I failed to accomplish this task with the Simply Rugged holster. Several of the instructors advised my best be would be to change to a different holster for the balance of the class. I had a very cheap 3 person style holster with very stiff leather which held the mouth of the holster open I used for the balance of the class.

Upon my return from the class, I emailed Simply Rugged regarding reinforcing the mouth of the holster in some fashion so as to keep the mouth open. The softness of the leather was such the holster essentially closed up and made one handed re-holstering impossible. I never received a reply.

Based on my experience, I would offer the opinion this holster is not really a suitable holster for concealed carry or tightly molded to the gun as their web site states. I would also offer the opinion there customer service is less than stellar as I have no record of ever receiving a response to my email. I was prepared to pay for this service, but, no response.

A little food for thought, there is probably a good reason why some holster makers have such a long lead time. Their products work as advertised and they have stellar customer service. For my money; C. Rusty Sherrick is the way to go even with the wait time.

CraigC
September 29, 2013, 01:43 PM
Lemondrop, it is a pancake. That's how pancakes work. They're designed that way.

I would also offer the opinion there customer service is less than stellar as I have no record of ever receiving a response to my email.
Never, ever depend on email. Pick up the phone.

JTQ
September 29, 2013, 02:52 PM
lemondrop9344 wrote,
The pictures on the web site reflects what appear to be will boned holsters. This led me to believe the mouth of the holster would remain open to facilitate re-holstering the weapon one handed.

I found this holster to be completely unsuitable for use where one handed re-holstering was needed (Mas Ayoob's Mag/40 class). The class requirement was to re-holster the revolver, one handed, trigger finger down the side & thumb on the hammer. I can't tell you how miserably I failed to accomplish this task with the Simply Rugged holster.
A couple of points. In the big picture of custom holster makers, Simply Rugged holsters are some of the least boned custom holsters made. A quick look through their site and just about any custom holster makers site will show how little detail boning Simply Rugged holsters have. Since most of their models are of the basic pancake design, retention is provided not by the holster's boning, but by the basic conceptual design of the pancake holster (that I pointed out in post #18). When worn on the belt, the out layer will be drawn close and provide retention. When the pistol is drawn, that outer layer will tend to close up and often make reholstering difficult, especially with something like a revolver with a thick cylinder.

If you needed a holster for range use, that would require many presentations and reholstering, a pancake holster, regardless of the maker, is usually a poor choice simply due to the way the holster is designed to work.

From Simply Rugged's site
http://www.simplyrugged.com/about/
For competition and range use, we developed the Cattleman an easier packing, low cut holster, with easy to holster capabilities.
Here is another maker, Horseshoe Leather's take on basic holster designs

http://www.holsters.org/holster-design.htm

For training classes, a wraparound style, such as a Milt Sparks 55BN or Galco Avenger, is a much better option because the design of the holster will allow it to stay open when the holster is drawn.

The ease of drawing and reholstering is the primary reason kydex holsters have become the most popular holsters for training/range/competition.

CraigC
September 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
They look wet molded to me, not boned.

lemondrop9344
September 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
I now have a much better understanding of the complexities of selecting a holster. I have come to the realization there is no one holster which will be a solution for every possible situation. Like so many others, I'm beginning to amass a variety of holsters. Have't decided if this a good thing or a bad thing.

I appreciate all who took the time to respond and enlighten me. I realize I have a tremendous amount to learn.

With regards to the 'Simply Rugged Holster', I purchased..... At the time I purchased the holster I saw the information on the website regarding the pancake holster. Unfortunately for me, I interpreted the wording to mean something along the line; the pancake holster would work, but, there were better choices. This was my mistake and I acknowledge same.

With regard to the following, Never, ever depend on email. Pick up the phone. There website states if you have a question email them. This is what I did.

I don't disagree the best solution is to pick up the phone and try and talk to someone. However, as a consumer, I've been conditioned to the recorded messages which tell me how important my call is & I'm put on ignore. Not saying that would have happened at Simply Rugged..... but, decisions we make today are influenced by success or failure of past decisions. As a consumer, I just expected a response to my email inquiry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simply Rugged ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!