35 remington bullets in 357 max?

PDA

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 08:51 AM
According to my Sierra manual, 35 Remington is .358 diameter and loads listed at 2000 fps. My 357 max has loads listed at 1850 fps with same weight bullet. Would the 35 Remington bullet still expand?

If you enjoyed reading about "35 remington bullets in 357 max?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Salmoneye
June 19, 2013, 09:48 AM
Depends exactly which bullet, but as a rule of thumb, yes...

I used 200gr Core-lokts in my 12" .357 Herrett barreled Contender for a number of years...Don't remember the chrono-readings as I gave my notes away when I sold the Contender...Seems as though it was somewhere around 1800fps though...

I also used 158gr Hornady .357 XTP-FP 'pistol bullets'...

My favorite was the Hornady 180gr SSP-SP (Single Shot Pistol-Spire Point)...

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. When I decided to go with the max, I planes to use the hornady SSP bullet but I can't seem to find any. I'm just looking into what other bullets could be used. I have used factory corelockt ammo in my 308 for 15 DRT shots through the shoulders on white tail so I actually trust that bullet

steveno
June 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
I found that the best shooting bullets in my 357 max super 14 was the Speer 180 grain rifle bullet and the Hornady 140 grain hp's.

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
I think he rifle bullets are going to be the way to go. My main concern is expansion at such low vocities. I guess il just buy some, load them and shoot through water or something to see?

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 01:56 PM
Just "borrowed" one of my grandpa's 35 Whelen rounds, pulled the 200gr jacketed soft point and stuck it in an empty max case. Definitly looks mean as all get out. :)

mbopp
June 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
I'm using the Hornady 180gr SSP-SP in my 357 Herrett. No field experience to report, though.

Practice loads are a hard cast Missouri 158gr SWC in cases flared with a Lyman "M" die.

rchery59
June 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
I know guys loading 250gr 35 cal cast gas checked flat nose rifle bullets in 38sp brass and shooting them from 357mags. You have all the room you need in a contender 357 max for whatever you want to load. Worst case would be the need to use 357mag brass to keep the bullet out of the lands. I'm sure it could be done, just use common sense and be very careful cause you will be blind when it come to load data.

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. I think a 200 or preferably 180 gr 35 cal core lilt or interlock bullet should do well for me. Being a contender vs a revolve I dont think the extra length of the spire point will be a problem. I suppose il just have to work up a safe but fast load and pray for expansion.

flipajig
June 19, 2013, 09:47 PM
I don't shoot the max but I do shoot a contender in various calibers. In my 7-30 waters I seleted a 140 grain coreloc for my hunting round I was pushing it at 2200 fps and some change. I was able to harvest a nice 8 point with it the shot was around 40 yds or so prefect shot placement behind the sholder. Upon recovery (I was able to watch him go down) and examination of the entrince and exit there was no expansion from the bullet. I didn't hit any bone going in or out. My point is that I was not able to push the bullet fast enough or hard enough for the bullet to do what it is designed to do.
Another case I was able to harvest a fallow doe with my 30-30 tender I was shooting a 150 grain Winchester flat point factory round the shot was around 50 yds the entrince was 30 cal and the exit was the size of a Quarter to golfball size. I don't remember if there was any bone hit but as far as I'm consernd the bullet did what it was supposed to do.
If it was me I would stay away from a spire pointed bullet unless it is designed for rapid expansion.
Just my Two Cents Worth.
Flip

swampcrawler
June 19, 2013, 10:24 PM
Flip, I actually got the same advice over on the handgun hunting forum. Iv found some 180 gr Partitions and XTPs in stock so hopefully il have my grubby little paws on them soon

flipajig
June 20, 2013, 09:56 AM
Swamp another thought is a cast Boolit from what I have read the max responds well with a heavy Boolit 180 grain and up check out Cast Boolit fourms great folks there also. I'm shooting nothing but cast in my 44 mag tender and SBH with the right alloy mix there is nothing out to a reasonable distance that wouldn't be afraid to tackle from Bambi to griz.
Flip

If you enjoyed reading about "35 remington bullets in 357 max?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!