Winchester Super-X .22 LR... garbage?

PDA

1KPerDay
June 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
I had 4 duds in my first 3 magazines full through my 22/45... none would light even on re-striking.

I thought I'd gotten lucky and found a brick at Cabela's a month ago... maybe it wasn't so lucky. I usually run Federal Champion bulk and it's been great for me... I think I've had one misfire/dud in 15,000 rounds.

Remington GB gives me about 1 dud out of a hundred rounds... annoying, but not a deal breaker. but a 13% failure rate is unacceptable, IMO. Particularly for what they're charging. Super-X used to be known for quality. I still have some "Western" Super-X from the 60s and it's good stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super-X .22 LR... garbage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
June 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
I bought the 500 rd in wooden box. its been great. Rimfires are always like that, it s a hit and miss

Carl N. Brown
June 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
The Winchester Super X I have used recently is the most reliable I have fired in my Charter Arms Explorer II and in my son's .22LR Colt M4. The M4 gagged on Remington GB (fail-to-feed) but my Nylon 66 eats them up; have had fail-to-fire with Remington GB bulk pack with my current Marlin 60. But Winchester Super X has usually trumped Remington GB bulk with my guns; have not seen any of the supposed to be new, improved Remington GB locally (sad because in the 1960s Remington Golden Bullet HVHP lived up to the name with me -- Springfield 120, Winchester 69A and Marlin M60).

Deltaboy
June 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
I had nothing but great luck out of this ammo.

MedWheeler
June 20, 2013, 02:59 PM
In thousands upon thousands of rimfire rounds I've fired, I've never had a misfire. However, about 75 percent or more of those rounds have been CCI MiniMags, as they were all that was available locally the first few years I was shooting.

That being said, I have found that the Winchester Super-X stuff is apparently not powerful enough to cycle reliably my blowback semi-autos, especially the smaller handguns. These little guns have strong recoil springs to protect them from slide/frame damage when using stronger ammo. I get about a ten-percent failure (to eject) rate with them in my handguns (except my Ruger Mk-II), and about a 2-5 percent FTE rate in my Mk-II and my 10/22 carbine.

My FTE rate with the MiniMags is less than one percent. In fact, it's not high enough to even guess at.

Of course, they all have worked 100 percent in the revolvers I've shot them in, though that accounts for less than one percent of all rimfire rounds I've ever fired.

jr_roosa
June 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
Winchester T22s, their supposed match load, gives me about 5% misfires. Most of these seem to have no priming compound at all as they won't fire when rotated to get a hit on other parts of the rim.

Remington SV is about the same.

Federal 711B has been 100% over several thousand round for me.

J.

grimjaw
June 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
I have only fired maybe three boxes of the stuff in three different guns: bolt and and semi-auto rifles, and a Beretta Bobcat. It was given to me so I don't know the age of the ammo other than it was the same model as what was current production in 2009. It ran fine in the bolt action, of course, and maybe had one or two ignition failures in the rifle. I went through the last of one box in the Bobcat, which is finicky anyway, and other than occasionally jamming against the top of the chamber on feeding it worked OK. I'd be fine plinking with it in bolt actions or revolvers. Can't remember much about the accuracy other than it wasn't atrocious.

1KPerDay
June 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
I bought the 500 rd in wooden box.
Yeah, that's what I got. I'd rather they keep the dang box and spend the savings on priming compound. :rolleyes:

Drail
June 20, 2013, 04:50 PM
With any brand of mass produced rimfire ammo there are going to be a bunch of duds with any brands. It's always been that way. Federal has always performed best for me over the years but even they will have some duds in every box. IMO Remington is the absolute worst. Getting priming compound evenly distributed fully around each rim is hard to do. Most rounds that fail to fire WILL fire if you rechamber it 90 degrees from where it was first struck. Undoubtedly this was one of the reasons rimfire priming was replaced by centerfire priming a long time ago.

rondog
June 20, 2013, 04:55 PM
After seeing a video of CCI making .22LR ammo, I'm amazed that ANY rimfires have a better than 75% success rate. But the way they churn 'em out it's also hard to fathom that there's a shortage.

JohnBT
June 20, 2013, 08:59 PM
"With any brand of mass produced rimfire ammo there are going to be a bunch of duds with any brands. It's always been that way."

All rimfire ammo is mass produced. I've been shooting rimfire since the '50s and never had a dud. My father never had one, my uncle never had one, etc. Maybe the newer stuff is junk. And I don't buy Remington unless it says Eley on the box.

Maybe you need better guns. :)

skoro
June 20, 2013, 11:17 PM
Not in my experience. The garbage would be Remington Golden Bullets.

bannockburn
June 21, 2013, 06:45 AM
From my own experience, the better quality and most reliable rimfire ammo stacks up this way:

1) CCI
2) Federal
3) Winchester

4) Remington

Sav .250
June 21, 2013, 07:51 AM
Some time there is more than one problem .......... J s/n.

nathan
June 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
No hiccups with my Ruger 22/45 Mk3 using Winchester Super X.

JohnM
June 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
I've used Super X, along with about every other sort of 22 since the early 50's.
Somewhere over 60 years.
Sometimes you get a dud, just the way it is.

lastofthebreed
June 22, 2013, 07:41 PM
Bought some Winchester 17 HMR recently, worst stuff I ever tried. At least a 20% failure to fire rate. Never again.

MRH
June 22, 2013, 11:19 PM
The most reliable and accurate ammo I've used in the non-premium stuff has been Win Super X, CCI MiniMag and Federal American Eagle.

Mike

22-rimfire
June 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
I have a brick in one of those wooden boxes. I chuckle... I was at Walmart before the current shortage and they weren't selling. An associate looks inside and says they're the same as in the regular bricks... reduced the price to match. Still have not shot any of those out of that brick. Never really a big Winchester 22 ammo fan in general, but the T22's were always pretty good. Been shooting the CCI standard velocity stuff when I want an economy target round.

My typical plinking foder is Federal Lightning from Walmart. Been generally pleased.

rondog
June 23, 2013, 12:32 AM
Some time there is more than one problem .......... J s/n.

But when you're using 4-5 different .22lr guns, but one type of ammo (Remington), and you get multiple failures in every gun, the problem is the ammo(Remington). People don't call them Thunderduds for nothing.

Solo
June 23, 2013, 01:11 AM
I had 4 duds in my first 3 magazines full through my 22/45... none would light even on re-striking.

I thought I'd gotten lucky and found a brick at Cabela's a month ago... maybe it wasn't so lucky. I usually run Federal Champion bulk and it's been great for me... I think I've had one misfire/dud in 15,000 rounds.

Remington GB gives me about 1 dud out of a hundred rounds... annoying, but not a deal breaker. but a 13% failure rate is unacceptable, IMO. Particularly for what they're charging. Super-X used to be known for quality. I still have some "Western" Super-X from the 60s and it's good stuff.
It's complete junk. You should send it to me for proper disposal ASAP.

Carl N. Brown
June 23, 2013, 08:32 AM
Most rounds that fail to fire WILL fire if you rechamber it 90 degrees from where it was first struck.

The original 1860 Henry .44 Rimfire Rifle had a double pointed firing pin that impacted the rim at two points on opposite sides of the rim. I wonder why no one designs a rimfire rifle that way today.

Doing research for a planned post-apocalypse story, I scrounged discarded .22 rf duds from the the gravel and burnbox at the range, took them home and at my leisure cleaned them with a rag and lighter fluid, and later went back with my .22 Rumanian army trainer rifle and tried them with the rims rotated opposite the failed strike. The majority fired.

Why do rimfire rifles no longer have double headed firing pins?

Onward Allusion
June 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
1KPerDay
Winchester Super-X .22 LR... garbage?

Winchester Super-X & Wildcats have been some of the more dependable 22LR ammo for me. Have you tried the ammo in different guns?

Reloadron
June 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
Hope it's not garbage as I have a brick of it sitting here. I guess when I shoot it we shall see. :)

Ron

788Ham
June 23, 2013, 12:21 PM
1KPerDay,

I just read your post on June 20. On this past Wed., June 19, I was sitting in my car waiting to go in for a Dr's appt, found a paper adv. from GM under the seat, May-June 2011, need to clean car more frequently. On one page inside was a box of Federal Champion .22's for sale, 525 pack, $14.95 per box. WOW, I can remember that day, trying to decide if I really needed these rounds....., guess you know my backsides still got bruising on it ! :cuss:

farscott
June 23, 2013, 12:30 PM
The Freedom Arms Model 83 in .22 LR does have a firing pin with two protrusions, 180 degrees opposed. It is the only modern production gun that I know of that has the feature. My guess is cost combined with the reliability of modern ammunition has caused the feature to go the way of the dodo.

Why do rimfire rifles no longer have double headed firing pins?

RetiredUSNChief
June 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
Everytime I read posts about people who complain about rimfire issues with respect to misfires, I end up wondering how the heck I'm missing out on all this. Maybe I'm just lucky.

In my life, I've fired untold thousands of .22, mostly LR and magnum. CCI, Winchester, Remington, and some Federal. Probably a few oddball brands, as well. I can't remember when the last time I had a misfire was.

In fact, I've not noticed any significant differences in incidents of misfires in any brand I've ever shot. Yeah, I've had an occasional misfire, but that's it.

I'm not saying complaints of misfires are false...just that this is such a rare event for me that it's never been a concern in my experience, regardless of the brand I've bought.

What I buy is based first on accuracy and reliability. After that, it's price. If it shoots straight and consistent, I'll sight my gun in on whatever is most cost effective and available and that's what I'll generally stick with.

And by reliability, I mean it goes "BANG!" when I pull the trigger and it cycles in my autoloader, if that's what I'm shooting it from. (Cycling obviously isn't a concern for bolt actions.)

tkaction
June 23, 2013, 01:15 PM
junk

351 WINCHESTER
June 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
It sounds like the op got a bad lot of super x. I can't recall a misfire or dud in almost 50 years of shooting other than Rem. golden bullet in bulk. I think bulk ammo (with the exception of Federal) are Winny and Remmy seconds or were made during the night shift when no one was watching.

Sometimes it's the firing pin is just not hitting the primer hard enough too. Might try a little cleaning.

22-rimfire
June 23, 2013, 01:37 PM
Cleaning the action and the chamber does make a difference in the number of fail to fires (FTFs). The cartridge has to be seated properly in the chamber for it to fire consistantly.

I seldom buy bulk packs of 22LR. I keep some around and yeah, I get FTF's with Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts, but I don't worry about it. Their accuracy seems to outweigh my irratation on the FTF issue and I tend to shoot them in bolt action rifles versus semi-auto.

loose noose
June 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
Been shooting .22 LR for over 55 years, and can honestly say I've never had a misfire. In fact the only rifle I've ever had a problem with, was using an AR-7 by Charter Arms and Winchester Wildcat .22, it would fire everytime, just wouldn't eject, every other brand of ammo worked fine, and believe me, I've shot all brands of ammo. Now I've got Rugers, Brownings, Winchesters, Berettas, Taurus, North Americans, Marlins, Savages.

Sure don't understand all the duds, hopefully you folks with all the trouble aren't dry firing those weapons?!:rolleyes:

351 WINCHESTER
June 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
Speaking of Thunderbolts. I had problems with them decades ago and shyed away from them. About 4 months ago I shot some out of my single shot and the first 2 went in the same hole at 25 yards. I shot 3 more as I thought it was a fluke and ended up with a ragged hole. You just never know about any ammo as all lots differ to some extent. It just depends on the case, primer, powder, bullet and who was at the helm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Super-X .22 LR... garbage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!