Must Have Books for your Bench...

PDA

Henry45
June 21, 2013, 08:15 AM
Just wanna know what your ''go to'' book is.

I have the latest Speer, Hornady and Lyman.

What's your "go to" on plated, and on lead.... ?

I seem to use the Lyman for lead 95% of the time and the Speer for plated/jacketed...

If you enjoyed reading about "Must Have Books for your Bench..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
June 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
I check all of them, but the Speer manual was my first and so I use it a lot. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook I use for a lot of lead just due to the data volume. Hornady I like the way they list the velocity at different charge levels. Its not completely accurate compared to a loader's gun but it gives a good starting point.

The only manual that I don't use a lot is Lee's manual. Its a good source of data, but its just not formatted well. Basically its there in case I can't find a load for a particular powder bullet weight combo in another book, I'll check that one.

david bachelder
June 21, 2013, 09:47 AM
I just got the Lyman 49th. It seems to be a book custom taylored to me. So far, I like it a lot.

jwrowland77
June 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
I don't shoot a lot of plated and haven't loaded any lead yet, but my go to manuals are the Hornady 8th Ed and the latest Sierra manual. I shoot normally one of those two bullets.

steveno
June 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of Phil Sharpe's reloading manual also

bds
June 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
For me, Lyman #49 has complimented loads (especially lead loads) not often listed by powder manufacturers' load data.

I have current Alliant/Hogdgon/Vihtavuori and 2004 Alliant and 1999 Winchester load data printed out in a binder.

Between the two resources, I have been able to find load data for essentially all FMJ/JHP, plated and lead bullet types for 380/38/357/9/40/45 pistol calibers I load for.

tygranch
June 21, 2013, 02:21 PM
I use the current Sierra manuals, cross referencing with a Speer and Lyman.

AABEN
June 21, 2013, 04:40 PM
I load a lot of Sierra bullets so my #1 book is Sierra #2 is Accurate because I use a lot of accurate powder #3 is Lyman 49th. I like all three of them. I try loads out of them till I get a good accurate load. I use Winchester 231 powder for 90% of my hand guns I like the Lyman book for that and Winchester that I down loaded.

BYJO4
June 21, 2013, 05:16 PM
Since I shoot all cast bullets in my revolvers, I use the Lyman manual most often then Speer and Hornady.

CPLofMARINES
June 21, 2013, 06:11 PM
Henry45, you say u have the latest Speer Manual. Is it
The 14th or 15th edition ?? I was told the 14th is no longer
In print and the 15th is due out soon. Thank you.

SEMPER FI

Katitmail
June 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
Well. I'm new to reloading and I'm going to put my flame suit on :fire:

But..

I don't think you really need book. You need to read it once to understand what is all involved, it's like 100 pages of info. Lot of it not going to be relevant to what you do. Lot of it common sense. You need to do it once - get it in a library.

Everybody says "you need book, you need many books and read, read, read."

I don't know, maybe because I have engineering degree - to me it doesn't look like rocket science...

Why I say I don't need a book? None of the load data was useful to me. All I did was info from websites and message boards. If you cross-reference with powder manufacturer data - you will get it.

All technical questions and problems will be answered right here on this forum.

I have 2 books now - Lee 2nd edition and Lyman 49th edition. I don't feel like I need them - will sell in St Louis :)

beatledog7
June 21, 2013, 07:38 PM
Katitmail,

Good idea donning the flame suit.

I don't know, maybe because I have engineering degree - to me it doesn't look like rocket science...

It's not, but it's easy to overthink, especially for an engineer.

None of the load data was useful to me. All I did was info from websites and message boards.

Anyone can post load data with no liability or repercussion when it proves dangerous. For example, I could post that my favorite .38SPL load is 6.6 grains of Bullseye under a 148-gr DEWC with a magnum primer. But I won't because THAT'S AN UNSAFE LOAD, yet here it is on the web and in this forum.

Uh-huh. See above.

There is a lot of great information here, especially regarding tips and processes, but DO NOT USE anonymously posted load data without verifying it through reputable published sources.

Katitmail
June 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
Absolutely don't just "google" load data. I'm saying that when you cross-reference info from many sources and start low you will figure it out and it's not a huge deal. Problem is - both books I have don't list powder or bullets I use. They have "ballpark" numbers - but that can be obtained from other sources.

P.S. From what I know now - it's probably better to spend money on Chrono than to buy multiple books.

splattergun
June 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
My daughter is an engineer, too. She still uses reference books that she claims to have "memorized", just in case her memory skips a beat. Lives depend on it.

It's not rocket science, but you are making little grenades designed to go off in very close proximity to your hands and face. Keep your books. Use them.

Or not.

Just keep clear of me if you don't.

beatledog7
June 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
Perhaps a new reloader ought to stick to components for which he can locate published data, you know, just to be safe. When you can't find a recipe for, let's say, 2400 in 7mm Rem Mag, there must be a reason.

And there is.

leadchucker
June 21, 2013, 08:24 PM
Actually, ballistics is indeed rocket science.

Katitmail
June 21, 2013, 09:07 PM
It's not rocket science, but you are making little grenades designed to go off in very close proximity to your hands and face. Keep your books. Use them.

In case of reloading start low and keep _YOUR_ books. Not books printed. I'm done in this thread :)

P.S. If you understand dangers, understand principles - you will be fine. I would be more afraid of the guy who doesn't understand what's involved and just follows instructions.

wgaynor
June 21, 2013, 09:30 PM
Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sniper-93-Confirmed-Kills/dp/0425103552

Because it's that freaking awesome and is a must read for all young men.

splattergun
June 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
In case of reloading start low and keep _YOUR_ books. Not books printed. I'm done in this thread :)

P.S. If you understand dangers, understand principles - you will be fine. I would be more afraid of the guy who doesn't understand what's involved and just follows instructions.
oookaaayyy

oneounceload
June 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
All of those are worth nothing without your own diary of your loads, how they performed, chrono data, weather, elevation, wind, etc.

Without historical records going forward, you won't have the knowledge to adjust, reject, or replicate - KEEP A LOG!

bds
June 22, 2013, 12:30 AM
I don't think you really need book. You need to read it once to understand what is all involved, it's like 100 pages of info. Lot of it not going to be relevant to what you do. Lot of it common sense. You need to do it once - get it in a library.

Everybody says "you need book, you need many books and read, read, read."

Different people have different learning curves. The mantra of "you need many manuals and you must read, read, read" is applicable to people who require repeated exposures and are slow to assimilate new information.

Why I say I don't need a book? None of the load data was useful to me. All I did was info from websites and message boards. If you cross-reference with powder manufacturer data - you will get it.
Well, only if you are using bullet nose type listed on the powder manufacturer's published load data as various manuals list bullet nose types not listed on powder manufacturers' load data. You may later use a bullet type not listed on powder manufacturer's load data. If you are using different nose type bullets (FMJ vs JHP or RN vs SWC) for the same bullet weight with different bullet lengths, your seating depths will be different and chamber pressures will vary from the published load data.

Choose your forums carefully. ;) Here on THR, most members are mindful of posting only published "safe" load data and adhere to placing courtesy warnings when posting unpublished or over max loads - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=27444

However, there are other gun forums where unpublished and over max loads are readily discussed and unsuspecting new reloaders unfamiliar with published load data may get misdirected and get into trouble, especially if they start out with max charge loads. :eek:

I have 2 books now - Lee 2nd edition and Lyman 49th edition. I don't feel like I need them
Solid buildings are built on solid foundation. Although basic reloading safety principles may not be exciting, they should be practiced until they become second nature and performed automatically without thinking.

When I help set up new reloaders, I work out a step-by-step checklist (like the pre-flight checklist pilots use) with Quality Control steps built in (like verifying powder measure charge drop weights until consistent) and have them practice the steps until they can perform automatically from memory.

While I prefer to use currently published load data from powder manufacturers, I do occasionally reference Lyman #49 as current powder manufacturers' load data don't list all the bullet nose types (like FMJ) or to get a "second opinion" and use the lower of the two load data for my start charge.

Although I don't use the "reloading basics" information at the front of Lyman manual now, I find the load data an invaluable companion to powder manufacturers' load data.

ArchAngelCD
June 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
Currently I use mostly 3 manuals, Lyman 49th Edition, Lyman 4th Edition Cast Handbook and Hornady #9.

mike.h
June 22, 2013, 12:59 AM
I have a couple go to's, but I also enjoy Ken Water's "Pet Loads", which is a little dated, but an excellent read.

Henry45
June 22, 2013, 01:59 AM
Marine...

Yes, mine is #14. It is the latest that is out, until 15 comes along. :) Didn't know it's out of print tho.

Honestly, i'm in the packaging business, and our machinery has been ''engineered'' to a degree of stupidity. What may be good on paper, just doesn't work sometimes in real life. I would feel much safer beside a beginner, who devoutly uses his publications to get the correct data, than someone who is brazen enough to think his level of intelligence is far superior to the facts that have been time tested.

But, hey... to each his own. In this world we know, you might get one "uh-oh".... if you remember it after it happens.

Me, I refer to my manuels. And will 20 years from now, and did when I started 20 years ago, before I had to give it up for alot of years.

I guess you just find what works for you. Me... it's the books.......... because, we all know, if it's posted on the internet, and forums.... it's got to be the truth.....

Right????

BigBoreJay
June 22, 2013, 02:12 AM
Books, schmooks. I just ask Katitmail what he does.

Seriously, Lyman #49.

And seriously, I'm glad Katitmail is 250 miles away from me. I'd sure hate to find myself on the same range as he.

bds
June 22, 2013, 09:36 AM
This quote is from another thread but is pertinent to this thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8985399#post8985399
I bought lead bullets for my MAK (nothing else was available). Problem I have is leading of the barrel.

Check my post here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=720124

Basically with lead you will have to get faster powder, load closer to max, make sure they sized properly (if you have choice).
Not quite. On that thread, Katitmail was experiencing leading with Unique powder at below published load data velocities and I suggested increasing the powder charge. But when Katitmail posted preferring the less than factory ammo recoil, I suggested the use of faster burn rate powders because some faster powders can produce accurate target lead loads at lower mid-range load data and not lead the barrel.

If you cast and/or load lead bullets, another "must have book" I recommend is a free ebook by Glen Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate - From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm). It is a comprehensive and detailed book on everything related to lead bullets from target shooting to hunting. It has become my bathroom book I read on my tablet.

Here's an online version - http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
Downloadable pdf version - http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Even though you only use commercial lead bullets, information on the definition, location, cause and prevention of leading on Chapter 7 is invaluable - http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

If you wonder why commercial lead bullets come in various hardness (10 BHN - 24 BHN), then Chapter 3 on alloy selection and metallurgy will explain why - http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_3_alloySelectionMetallurgy.htm

Light target loads (<800 fps and 10,000 psi) - BHN 6-12
Standard revolver loads (800-1000 fps, 16,000 psi) - BHN 8-14
+P revolver loads (1000-1200 fps, 20,000 psi) - BHN 10-16
Magnum revolver loads (1200-1500 fps, 35,000 psi) - BHN 12-20
454 Casull (1400-1800 fps, 50,000 psi) - BHN 16 and up

jacketed bullets shiny, clean and easy to load for newbie
While new reloaders may start out with jacketed bullets, the reloader may later add lead bullets and manuals such as Lyman #49 becomes valuable. In Katitmail's situation, use of lead 9x18 Makarov bullet was necessitated by lack of available jacketed/plated bullets and I did refer to Glen Fryxell's chapter on leading on my response to the thread.

Although this resource is not a book, if you reload .308 or .30-06, articles at The Rifleman's Journal (http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/articles-index.html) is a valuable reference (it is a dedicated website for long-range/1000 yard match shooting). When I started reloading for .308, I spent several months reading through the articles and sections on Basics, Ballistics, Cartridges, Primers and Reloading and it is full of information I reference on a regular basis. Other sections such as History is very interesting read and this too has become my bathroom read on my tablet.

jack44
June 22, 2013, 09:50 AM
Lyman #49 and Barnes so far.

baz
June 22, 2013, 10:34 AM
For any caliber I load, I have one of the Loadbooks. I figure it is going to have relevant data from any, and maybe all, of the various books cited so far. I have Lee's, because it is cheap and comprehensive, to cover calibers I don't load, just in case. Plus, I have all the free powder and bullet load guides. Finally, I do have a bunch of the load data you can get from various internet sites, but would never rely on it without cross checking it with something published.

Of course, this is all useless, without a healthy dose of skepticism and common sense. Don't believe everything you read. Cross check. Start low. And never use maximum loads. The latter rule is optional. But it works for me.

Kevin Rohrer
June 23, 2013, 08:18 AM

Intelligence, Education, and Wisdom; they are all mutually exclusive.

Clark
June 23, 2013, 09:04 AM
I have 90 of my range reports stored digitally.
When I start loading, I want to pick up where I left off with that cartridge and that gun. I have 3 levels for 30-30 and 380. I matters what gun I am loading for.

I handload;19 Badger,.222, .223, 22-250, 6mmBR, .243, 25acp, 25-20, 25/35, 250/3000, 257 Robert Ackley Improved, 257 Robert Ackley Improved rimmed, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav, 7.62x39mm, 308, 7.5Swiss, 30-06, 300WM, 303Brit,7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357 Sig, 38 sp, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 401 power mag, 44mag, 45acp, 45Colt, .410, 45/70, 50CB and 12 ga.

Lagarto
June 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
In addition to reloading manuals I recommend Understand Firearm Ballistics by Robert A. Rinker - Mulberry House Publishing, ISBN: 0-9645598-4-6. Sub titled: Basic to Advanced Ballistics Simplified, Illustrated,& Explained.

Arkansas Paul
June 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
The 2 manuals in my cave are the Lyman 49th and the Lyman cast bullet handbook.
I also like the Speer manual.

Still Shooting
June 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
On my reloading bench bookshelf right now I have Nosler #2 and #6, Hornady #3 and #8, Speer #10, Sierra #2 and #5, and Lyman #45, #46, and #49. The only manual with load data for the Winchester 1907 (.351 WSL) I just reconditioned is in Lyman #45.

And yes, I did have a few years' break in reloading after a divorce and relocation, rental residence, etc. But I never discard a reloading manual! You never know what great gun deal you might find in a LGS, so it pays to have as much data as you can on hand...

If you enjoyed reading about "Must Have Books for your Bench..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!