Mossberg 500 20ga New Stock

PDA

Steamgauge99
June 21, 2013, 05:25 PM
Greetings comrades, I signed up here a while ago and then promptly forgot about this site.

I've had my Mossberg since I was about 13 (am now 29) and its never let me down. Because I've had it for so long and am so familiar with using it, I decided that it would be my home defense firearm. The problem with that is it came with a 26in barrel which makes it a bit long for handling indoors. Just my luck, Mossberg no longer offers shorter aftermarket barrels for the 20ga. Since I couldn't reduce the length on the front end, I decided to take it off the back with a collapsible stock.

I picked up an ATI 6-position buttstock yesterday & used my day off today to out it on. The installation was pretty easy, except for the post screw that holds the butt to the pistol grip. That thing was a hassle to get through all the way.

Its pretty comfy in my hand and is much easier to handle inside now. Next I'm going to add a shell holder & maybe a flashlight. I was about to head to the range to test it out until it started pouring buckets outside so that will have to wait. :cuss:

Here's a couple of crappy phone pics of my old faithful Mossberg.

http://imgur.com/a/lCk5P#0Npc5QX

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 20ga New Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rule303
June 21, 2013, 06:01 PM
There are plenty of used 20ga Mossberg barrels out there cheap. Mossberg will sell you a short one if you call them. Even if they don't list it as an accessory they still make them. Let us know how how you like shooting it with the ATI stock, to me it seemed to magnify the recoil since the shape is so different from traditional shotgun stocks.

Steamgauge99
June 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rule, it looks like they don't offer the short barrels anymore at all. I had called them back in November and Mossberg still had them but by the time I got around to buying in March they weren't available. I talked to 2 different reps and both told me they were no longer available. I didn't even think about finding a used one, might have to look into that, thanks.

oneounceload
June 21, 2013, 11:13 PM
Greetings comrades

Sorry, what country are you in?

The problem with that is it came with a 26in barrel which makes it a bit long for handling indoors.

It shouldn't make it an issue at all. But then that depends on what you intend to do - play search and destroy or hole up, call 911 and wait for the police. Fitting a shorter stock - if it doesn't fit, is NOT the correct answer or way to handle this scenario..............

Sheepdog1968
June 22, 2013, 12:45 AM
It's not that hard to have a sparel barrel cut down by a gunsmith and the sight reinstalled. By going to a pistol grip stock you will have to break your grip to thumb off the safety. I just had a local smith cut my LOP to 12.75" and install a limbsaver pad.

Deer_Freak
June 22, 2013, 08:03 AM
Ebay has used barrels of all types available. I have had good luck finding used barrels on ebay.

MAKster
June 22, 2013, 01:23 PM
Mossberg sells 20 gauge guns with 18.5" barrels. Even though they don't have the barrels listed for sale on the accessory page I'm sure they will sell you one. They just list the most common ones for sale. Send an email to customer service.

EMT40SW
June 23, 2013, 03:15 AM
I have bought two 18.5" barrels for my 20 ga mossbergs. The factory sells them for $65 to $75 delivered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 20ga New Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!