WST in .38 special

PDA

mboe794
June 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
I am just getting started reloading this caliber for my 637. I currenty have PowerPistol and WST to work with. I have used these powders with outstanding results in 9mm. PowerPistol for the hotter stuff, WST for cast plinker rounds.

I worked up some 125 gr XTP's with PowerPistol to replicate some commercial defensive loads for the little J frame. As I expected, they performed well. Easily met, and exceeded, the velocities I was getting from similar weight factory +P ammunition. Makes one heck of a noise and a large fireball though.

That loading is fine and dandy for practicing for self defense situations. But I also want a lighter round that isnt gonna pound the aluminum frame to death. I have 140 gr TCFP from MO Bullets. Cowboy #14 I believe they call them. I want to use WST powder. However, load info has proven difficult to find. I have found a few online sources, but mainly for 158 grain bullets and a few different full wadcutters.

I think I could work off 158 gr LSWC data if I had to but if anyone has got a better direction to point me in I'd appreciate it. Not looking for total bunnie farts. Just a general use standard pressure load.

But that brings me to another question... what kind of velocities should I be looking for out of the 1 7/8 barrel? The only factory ammo I've been able to get my hands on is some of the fancier +P stuff. And most ballistic info available is based on longer barrel 38's.

If you enjoyed reading about "WST in .38 special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hondo 60
June 23, 2013, 12:45 AM
140 gr TCFP is not a common bullet.
I wish I had a recipe for you. :(
Good luck.

Walkalong
June 23, 2013, 11:57 AM
I use 3.7 Grs WST under an X-Treme 158 Gr SWC in .38 Spl (3.8 Grs in .357 mag) loaded to 1.440 OAL and it gives around 700 to 725 FPS from a 4" revolver barrel with good numbers if the powder is away from the primer. It is not light pressure, but seems to be under max pressures, although I have no way of knowing for sure. I would think 3.5 Grs would be a good starting point for your bullets with WST in .38 Spl when loaded to a reasonable OAL.

The High Road nor the staff take any responsibility for use of this data.

mboe794
June 23, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ok. Thanks. That's almost axactly what I was thinking. Start at 3.5 and work up to around somewhere around 4 grains and go from there.

Walkalong
June 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
Work up .1 Gr at a time.

mboe794
June 23, 2013, 09:09 PM
Normally I go in .2gr incraments. But in this case maybe you are right. It is a very small charge weight and WST is a bit of a faster powder. Thanks for the reminder.

Walkalong
June 23, 2013, 11:50 PM
WST plays nicer than say red Dot or N310 when it gets up there, but it is still a good idea to go slow, especially when loading off the charts.

mboe794
June 25, 2013, 11:37 PM
I got some chrono results!

This is WST in .38 special with a 140 gr LTCFP bullet from Missouri Bullets. OAL of 1.145. I worked up from 3.5 gr to 4.0 gr.

3.5 grains gives 690 fps on average.
4.0 gives 750 fps on average.

I think I will settle on 3.7 grains for 705 fps. There was a little leading developing in the forcing cone after completing all of the tests. I am hoping it is more from the latter portion of test batches. These bullets are pretty soft at 12 BHN (advertised).

Again, this is out of a model 637 with a 1 7/8 inch barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "WST in .38 special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!