Air rifle comparison

PDA

Grayrock
June 23, 2013, 08:18 PM
Benjamin Model 310 vs Sears (Crosman Model 140)

I now have both. Just got the Crosman (Sears) gun. It is not functional- yet. Of the 2, does anyone have an opionion of which is "better", given that "better" is quite subjective. What are YOUR experiences with either. I know my old Benjamin has taken its share of vermin and plinking targets, but it is on its last legs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifle comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schwing
June 23, 2013, 08:38 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are asking and, as I have never even shot a crossman, I can't give you a comparison. Your post grabbed my eye because I just finished rebuilding a Benjamin Franklin 317 yesterday. It was a pre 1950 model that leaked air out of the air chamber and was pretty beat up.

It took about a day but it holds air now and is a tack driver. I would suggest trying to rebuild the Benjamin. There are lots of diagrams out there and it was not horribly difficult. In my case, the seals were dried out and simply required a layer of grease to plump them up a bit. For about $50 you can get a seal kit that will make it good as new if that doesn't work.

I would also mention that the Benjamins of that era were made with solid brass barrels. I actually stripped the old chipped up finish off and polished it really good. I was very pleased with how it turned out.

Grayrock
June 23, 2013, 09:46 PM
I have a seal kit for the Sears (Crosman) coming and found a couple of youtube videos showing how to rebuild it. I have NOT found any kits for the Benjamin (no Franklin) 310. Do you have a source for the seal kits and the diagrams? I thought about polishing up all that brass on the Benjamin- but its weathered patina still brings back all the memories. I traded a buddy for it when we were kids and he has regretted it ever since. It is a tackdriver as attested to by the chi-chi bird population around my house in the 60's & 70's!! :D

Schwing
June 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=185605&d=1372044277185605

Here is the link I used. Mine is a 317... I don't think there is much difference.

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/benjamin-317-rifle-disassembly-part-1.html

There are actually parts 2-4 on this same website but part 1 should get you 99% of the way there.

I sanded my barrel down with some 220 grit sand paper. I am still going to sand blast it but my sand blasting enclosure has a broken seal and I have been to lazy to replace it. I am hoping to turn it into a cool matte finish when i am done.

I also did not reattach the safety. I have found that it tends to work lose and stick on perma-safety.
You can find the seals here:http://accurateairguns.com/Seal_Kits/

I would try taking yours apart and looking at the seals first though, i suspect it just needs some grease.

I attached a picture for the heck of it.

Grayrock
June 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
MAN!!!!! Mine ain't so shiny and nice! But it looks like the same weapon. I will have to research and see what the differences are. Mine just stopped working in the last year with NO maintenance in the past 4 (FOUR) decades!! It won't pump up any more. That was a sudden thing. We moved into a new house. I used it to cap a couple of tree rats then stashed it in the closet. 8-10 month later (AKA the present) I had another squirrel running across my roof. I grabbed the ol' trusty 310 and pumped it to no avail! :( Thanks for the links.

rcmodel
June 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
First, get a bottle of air gun oil and oil the crap out of it.

The old leather pump seals dry out and get hard if not oiled occasionally.

Air gun oil in the cylinder my be all it takes to get it going again.

That's the first thing I would try before tearing into it.

This one wouldn't pump up either until I gave it a good oiling with Beeman air gun oil.
Works perfectly now.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Benjamin1.jpg

rc

Grayrock
June 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
That is a beauty, rc. I always wanted one of those pump pistols to match my rifle. Thanks for sharing.

lemaymiami
June 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
As a young guy in the mid sixties I hunted quite a bit with both Benjamin and Crossman 22cal pump air rifles. Either would KO a squirrel or rabbit as far as my aim would take it.... I still have the Benjamin, with all that brass showing where the finish was worn away on the barrel from pumping it up for each shot. I've long planned on squaring it away and giving it to my son to keep for my oldest grandson.... Can't say enough good things about either make but the Benjamin was my favorite.

Deltaboy
June 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
I sent my Dad's back to Benjamin and they rebuilt it for me.It cost 70 bucks with shipping.

Grayrock
July 7, 2013, 11:35 PM
Deltaboy- when did you do that?

sixgunner455
July 8, 2013, 02:16 AM
Man, rcmodel, that looks just like my dad's old air pistol. Thing won't hold a pump nowadays. Guess it just needs some grease, or new seals.

Deltaboy
July 9, 2013, 10:03 PM
Deltaboy- when did you do that?
About 10 years ago I called them they sent a shipping label I mailed it to them and 2 weeks later they called with the final amount and the mail man dropped it off at my house.

Grayrock
August 9, 2013, 08:39 PM
Things must have changed in 10 years. I sent them an e-mail and I got a reply saying my 310 is dangerous, has been recalled, they do not work on them, and they will give me a trade in value of 50 dollars. :(

Deltaboy
August 11, 2013, 10:09 PM
Sad to hear that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Air rifle comparison" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!