What to do with a rough bore?

PDA

albanian
March 19, 2004, 04:54 PM
I have a M-48A Yugo mauser and even though I got it new or almost new, it has had a rough bore. It was bright and clean but it looked like there were burrs or some type of roughness that wouldn't be brushed out.

What can I do to smooth the bore out? I have heard of lapping but I am not sure how to go about it or if that is what I need to do. I thought that shooting would smooth it out but is hasn't.

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with a rough bore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
March 19, 2004, 06:36 PM
To lap, you put a bit of lapping compound(auto supply place) on a patch and run it back and forth in the barrel. Stop when the roughness is gone. Mind you, your barrel may just have a slightly corroded spot. It if shoots ok, leave it alone.

1911Tuner
March 19, 2004, 08:55 PM
Those burrs are probably sharp edges left on the lands after the barrel
was rifled. Most of those Mausers were unissued and many were unfired.
Shooting it will smooth'em out, but if you want to really make it slick-quick,
use J&B Bore Cleaner on a patch. Spread it out well through the bore and
lightly wipe it out with a loose-fitting, undersized patch. Leave just a trace
in the bore and shoot it once. Clean thoroughly and repeat 3 times.
Don't leave a heavy coating in it...just a little. Then shoot the rifle nornmally and clean the bore to the bare metal with the J&B on a tight patch every 10 rounds for about 50 rounds after getting the powder fouling
out.

The alternativse is to take it to a rifle smith and have him lap it with a
lead slug impregnated with polishing compound.

Nice rifles...I've got 2 of'em and they're real shooters.

Tuner

albanian
March 20, 2004, 03:28 PM
What about jewler"s rouge? Can I put that on a patch or bore brush and use the drill? I can use low speed and keep the brass brush moving so as to not harm the bore. Is that too drastic?

I just want the bore smoothed out a bit so it is not so hard to clean and doesn't collect as much gunk.

1911Tuner
March 20, 2004, 04:13 PM
albanian asked:

What about jewler"s rouge? Can I put that on a patch or bore brush and use the drill? I can use low speed and keep the brass brush moving so as to not harm the bore. Is that too drastic?

I suppose it would work, though you'd probably get better results with less
potential for damage by wrapping a patch around the brush and leaving the drill out of it. I'd use J&B on the patch instead of the rouge, though.

FWIW, J&B Bore Cleaner is an excellent final lap for polishing and fitting
slides to frames. It makes the fit butter-smooth and doesn't remove anything except the high spots. Using a patch on a brush is going to require a lot of time and elbow grease. A lead plug would be faster, and the wipe and shoot, faster still. If you could find somebody who casts lead bullets for the caliber and have them send you a few, that would be a
nearly ideal route to take. Check out the Cast Bullet Group on Yahoo.
If there's a caliber, those boys will cast for it, and they're always willing to
help. I'll try to find the URL and post it.

Luck!

Tuner

ksnecktieman
March 20, 2004, 04:18 PM
There is a process called "fire lapping" basically it is soft lead bullets with a polishing compound. I think Brownells has a kit to do it.

Zeke Menuar
March 20, 2004, 05:07 PM
Have you shot it yet? My Mosin M38 has an awful looking bore. Looks like someone lapped the barrel with gravel.
I did five treatments with JB's Bore Paste and now it is shooting 3" or so at 100yds. There was a heavy layer of copper racing stripes in addition to the pitting. Once the copper was gone it shot much better.

ZM

albanian
March 20, 2004, 10:25 PM
Have you shot it yet?

Yes I have shot the Yugo M-48A and it shoots well. I am not trying to make it more accurate, just smoother. I just got a 1917 Eddystone that has a rough bore also, I think a good clean and some shooting will smooth it out some but I like to have a smooth bore to reduce the cleaning effort. Rough bores get dirty fast and are hard to clean.

I am also a cheapskate and if I can't it myself, I won't pay anyone to do it.:D I guess I am a control freak also, I don't trust anyone to work on my guns except me.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What to do with a rough bore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!