.17 Winchester super mag

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
June 25, 2013, 09:59 PM
I recently saw an article for a round I have never heard of - the .17 Win Super Mag. The ad claimed that it was more powerful than the .17 HMR.

I'm very curious about a more powerful .17. How does this round perform?

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 Winchester super mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swampcrawler
June 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
I dont know very much about it other than more velocity with heavier bullets vs the HMR. I would think it would be somewhere close to a 17 hornet. Google time!

Abel
June 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
20gr @ 3000fps

swampcrawler
June 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
Yep advertised 20gr@3k fps compared to the HMR's 17 gr at 2550 and the hornet's 20 gr @ 3650.

Fastest rimfire ever, supposed 2 inch-ish drop @ 200 from a 100yd zero. Ballistic coefficient of .185 with a 20gr vmax
Compared to .125 for the HMRs 17gr vmax

In other words looks like the badest rimfire ever devised.
Unfortunatly I believe it's doomed to flop.

DM~
June 25, 2013, 10:31 PM
In other words looks like the badest rimfire ever devised.
Unfortunatly I believe it's doomed to flop.

Well, it won't be MY fault, as i plan to buy one!

DM

monotonous_iterancy
June 25, 2013, 10:33 PM
How does it work for varmint control and small game hunting? I've heard of the .17 HMR being too light of a round to even kill squirrels cleanly.

swampcrawler
June 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
I'd like one too. But I don't believe it will appeal to anyone other than those of us who know enough to understand how impressive it is.

Remember, the general public still seems to think the 5.7x28 is just a funny looking 22wmr. Nevermind that tiny little 400 fps difference. :)

swampcrawler
June 25, 2013, 10:40 PM
Monotonous, no idea where you picked that up but I have to respectfully disagree. The 17 gr vmax basically disconnects whichever end of the squirrel it hits from the rest him. But the 20gr game point rounds killed them dead as a door nail without much more of a hole than a 22lr. Iv killed squirrel and rabbit with it to beautiful effect (the HMR that is) and even know guys who swear the 20 gr fmj is good stuff for shooting feral hogs in the ear.

MassMan
June 25, 2013, 10:44 PM
I have not fired one but have heard it is an excellent varmint gun. I know Savage makes one but not sure who else makes a gun for the round.

Abel
June 26, 2013, 06:47 AM
monotonous_iterancy How does it work for varmint control and small game hunting? I've heard of the .17 HMR being too light of a round to even kill squirrels cleanly.

What? Who told you that? That is ridiculous.

cat_IT_guy
June 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
I want one. Had a .17HMR that i never should have sold. It was great fun for shooting little bitty targets at 100 yards with basically no recoil. The new .17 has my interest, but I wont be running out to buy one just yet as I want to see that it will stick around and be readily available, ammo-wise, before I do.

swampcrawler
June 26, 2013, 01:58 PM
Benatilstate, those are pretty much my thoughts. My rifle was a savage 93r17, stainles spiral fluted barrel, rifle basix trigger, boydes ss evolution stock, mueller eradicator 8.5-25x50 scope.

Grapes at 100 yards were great fun. As were spraypaint cans at 200. :)

Vern Humphrey
June 26, 2013, 02:15 PM
I thought the .17 HMR would flop, but was I wrong!

My reasoning was it can't hold a candle to a .22 Hornet, and the ammo is more expensive than .22 Hornet handloads.

So, even though the same applies to the new Winchester .17 rimfire, I suppose it will be a roaring success.

jstein650
June 26, 2013, 02:20 PM
Since it's based on the already existing .27 cal rimfire for high powered nail guns, Winchester won't be designing this from the ground up, although they will probably need to increase production. I think (and hope) this will keep the cost reasonable. I think it's a pretty cool round. Should appeal to non-reloaders.

Certaindeaf
June 26, 2013, 02:24 PM
I'm waiting for the super duper mag! really not

swampcrawler
June 26, 2013, 02:28 PM
I personally wish the 17hm2 would have been ore successful. Lots of us think it is the best squirrel round ever devised. Oh well. I think it flopped because it was les powerful than the earlier HMR, so hopefully the win mag, being more powerful, will be more of a success. If it does take off I will certainly hav someone make me a contender barrel for it. Or maybe even build a bolt gun for it.

monotonous_iterancy
June 26, 2013, 02:52 PM
What? Who told you that? That is ridiculous

I think I read it here. I think they were talking about the plastic tipped rounds, and it was said that it hit the squirrel, and then broke up rapidly on the skin and in the fat, and didn't penetrate much.

I've always thought that .17 HMR would be a good small game round, but it is a really light bullet, so at long distance I could see it happening.

Of course, I'm not a hunter, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

jstein650
June 26, 2013, 02:59 PM
"and then broke up rapidly on the skin and in the fat, and didn't penetrate much."

I think that would have to be one hefty buck of a squirrel! Within 100 yds, the 17HMR is pretty dang snappy.

Mat, not doormat
June 26, 2013, 04:53 PM
Oh no! Not again! Now the squirrels are getting up- armored? Are people sneaking into the woods and feeding all the game animals a Kevlar dietary supplement?

There's a guy I work with who'll be all over this. Put it in his safe right next to his .300 Win Mag deer rifle. :p

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

WYcoyote
June 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
I'm going to buy one, if it flops it won't be my fault.
I skipped the 17 HMR because I had a good 22 mag, but this new one has my ears perked up.

Pacsd
June 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
I got notified today that my long awaited for B-Mag came in today. However, no ammo as of yet. I kinda like the idea of having a Mag in 17. I've got a 93R in .17, 3ea. .22lr and a .22mag so, why not a .17 Mag???

TEAM101
June 27, 2013, 02:38 AM
I've heard of the .17 HMR being too light of a round to even kill squirrels cleanly.

Correct, the exit wound is quite messy with polymer tips.

JoeDorn
June 27, 2013, 02:08 PM
Is there any rifles available for the round? I have not seen anything other than the announcement of the cartage. I am interested.

I did a search right after the announcement.

jstein650
June 27, 2013, 02:18 PM
^^^ check out the Savage Arms website. They have one called the B-Mag.

NCsmitty
June 28, 2013, 10:18 PM
We'll have to wait and see how much the ammo costs for the 17 WSM. 17 HMR started out at $6.95 at it's introduction, and it's about double that now. Wait and see.

NCsmitty

hickskateboarder
June 29, 2013, 01:18 AM
Haha The Hmr Blows Squirrels In Half, GoTta Shoot Them In The Head. Don't Know Why My Phone Is Deciding To Capitalize Everything.....

Eb1
June 29, 2013, 02:18 AM
You can't even get Winchester Xpert 36 grain HP for .22 LR. As far as squirrel goes, the .22 Short HP is the best rimfire cartridge ever used for that task.
It is quite, and doesn't scare them off. You can load 25+ in a nice bolt action rifle. They do not tear up a lot of meat if you do happen to hit to far back.

Does anyone have a link to the new Winchester cartridge.

Clark
June 29, 2013, 02:24 AM
swampcrawler

I personally wish the 17hm2 would have been ore successful. Lots of us think it is the best squirrel round ever devised. Oh well. I think it flopped because it was les powerful than the earlier HMR, so hopefully the win mag, being more powerful, will be more of a success. If it does take off I will certainly hav someone make me a contender barrel for it. Or maybe even build a bolt gun for it.

I bought a 17HM2 reamer in 2007.
I put a Majestic Arms 17M2 barrel with Lothar Walther liner, Power Custom handle, on a STS trigger 10/22.

It does two holes touching at 50 yards, then a flyer, and then it jams. Occasionally it blows out a case head. Wear the eye protection.

In 2007 the prices for ammo were:
1) The 17HMR is 22 cents to 25 cents a shot.
2) The 17HM2 is 10 cents to 14 cents a shot.
3) The 22WMR is 12 cents to 14 cents a shot.
4) The 22LR is 4 cents to 10 cents a shot.

I made a lifetime buy of 17HM2 ammo at the introductory price of 10 cents for the Eley.
I am looking for a 22LR rifle to rebarrel.

The 17HMR is unfit for prairie dogs at one range, and for 17HM2 it is even closer.
The correct ammo for me is downloaded .223, 35 gr at 3500 fps.

But for ground squirrels, the 17 rimfires can find a niche.

Vern Humphrey
June 29, 2013, 03:27 PM
"and then broke up rapidly on the skin and in the fat, and didn't penetrate much."

I think that would have to be one hefty buck of a squirrel! Within 100 yds, the 17HMR is pretty dang snappy.
You betcha!

The .17 HMR (and the .22 WMR with hollowpoints) is a poor squirrel rifle not because it doesn't kill well, but because it doesn't leave much squirrel to eat unless you make all head shots.

Geno
June 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
I have been doing some reading on it. While it looks to have promising ballistics, and I agree that their projected cost for ammunition is less than factory-loaded centerfires, reloading would probably level the playing field in terms of costs. I made a post here...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=720303&highlight=BMag

...looking for others' thoughts. That rifle is just odd-looking as heck. I'm not saying I would not purchase one, but it's all Marvin Martian looking to me.

Geno

351 WINCHESTER
June 30, 2013, 09:03 PM
I guess one of the deciding factors will be the price and availability of the ammo. Only time will tell if it hangs on. I didnt' think the .17hmr would survive, but it did.

Eb1
June 30, 2013, 09:09 PM
From personal experience with pellet guns from a kid I have never enjoyed anything .17 caliber. I always choose the .22 caliber and .25 caliber pellet guns. Yes, they went slower in fps, but the kill ratio I have had with .22 and larger pellet guns is way higher than friends with .177 calibers shooting 300 fps faster.
I am speaking of hits also. Not misses. I have seen varmints hit with the .177 pellet gun just run off to die. I hit them with the .22 cal or .25 cal, and they fall out dead.
This has always stuck in the back of my mind when it came to buying rimfire cartridges.

22-rimfire
July 1, 2013, 08:44 PM
I don't believe rifles have hit the market yet. I am interested but have no earthly need for a rifle in this caliber. I'm comfortable with the 22 WMR if I need more oomph in a rimfire. We'll see...

Johnny Lightning
July 1, 2013, 11:02 PM
I live in an area that is rim fire and shotgun only for hunting so I will be watching how well the new hopped up rim fire does. I currently have a .17hmr that is deadly on groundhogs but I wouldn't mind having the ability to reach out to 300yrds w/ the new super .17. I believe browning is making a single shot rifle along w/ whatever rifle Savage is making.

Davek1977
July 2, 2013, 06:37 AM
LOL@ the .17 HMR being underpowered for squirrels. Don't believe EVERYTHING you hear!

bwsmith
July 5, 2013, 10:13 PM
Got my Savage BMag rifle and a bunch of ammo. the 17WSM is a fun little cartridge.

Gtscotty
July 5, 2013, 10:24 PM
You should post up a range report, it would be interesting to see some chrono readings and groups!

bwsmith
July 5, 2013, 10:27 PM
I created a new thread so people looking for info and photos didn't have to dig a few pages. Unfortunately, my Chrono met with an untimely end.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=721639

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 Winchester super mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!