2x .429 Balls in .44 Magnum

PDA

Eb1
June 26, 2013, 07:18 AM
Who has experience in stacking two .429 balls with Unique or the like in a .44 Magnum?
I have read that some people do it I think it would be fun to give a try. This is the kind of thing that makes hand loading fun. Right? You get to load up loads that you would probably never find in your LGS.

I'd like to get them moving around 900-1000 fps. I'd be like two 9mm in weight and velocity that have already expanded. It would be great for wild dogs if you were a hiker or walking in some deep woods. Be one heck of a snake shot load.

I just sounds fun to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "2x .429 Balls in .44 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
au_prospector
June 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
changed my mind

Eb1
June 26, 2013, 08:45 AM
au_prospector,

I am sure there are some pages on here regarding this, but there are a lot of other forums that have users touting success. I don't think it would be a 50 yard target load, but a 15 yard double whammy? Yeah. I think it would be a bad day for charging berry bush or tumble weed.

I am just adding to the joy of hand loading. There are things that can be done that you can't get from the LGS.

I am not advocating that any really go out and do this. Use at your own risk, but I got your full message via e-mail before you deleted it here. How would it be to deep when you can shoot shorts out of a revolver cylinder?
Just for reference. My .32 H&R Magnum J-Frame can shoot a .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Magnum. The magnum load is twice the size as a .32 ACP in length. Right about where the first ball would be seated.

au_prospector
June 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
I dont have knowledge in this and you asked for people who have experience doing this load which I do not. I only assume pushing the first ball that deep so you could get the second one to seat would be unsafe and not very accurate beyond about 7 yards at best. These are assumptions only so I deleted the first post.

Sam1911
June 26, 2013, 08:59 AM
The issue with depth is that two round balls will take up a lot of vertical space in the cartridge -- a lot more than a solid slug of lead of the same weight. Might still be do-able, though.

You'd almost certainly want balls at least .431, and probably more to make sure you grab some rifling. Only the circumference of the sphere will touch the bore, which is a pretty small "driving band" compared to a cylindrical bullet.

Eb1
June 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
Sam,

I read that a .433 ball is a good choice.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=HO6030

People were saying at 15 yards they got both balls within a couple inches of each other around 1000 fps.

highlander 5
June 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
Not quite the same but I had a load made up for my 45/70 using 2 cast 250 gr wadcutters
under a charge of 2400. Out of my Browning 1885 it would put both bullets about 1" apart at 25yds with little recoil. I always thought it would have made a nice close range varmint load. One of my older Speer and Lyman manuals had loads using a single .433 round ball but I don't think you'd get 2 in a 44 mag case.

Domino300
June 26, 2013, 01:10 PM
Would a 44 Mag snake shot encasement work to hold the 2nd ball?

mdi
June 26, 2013, 01:16 PM
Well, can't help you wit a two ball load, but I have loaded a lot using one ball. I have a ball mold that drops .432" balls and I've loaded and shot them through my SBH and 629, about 3.5 gr. W231; great fun, no recoil, accurate...

blarby
June 27, 2013, 03:43 AM
I have used two .430 balls and 8 grs of unique.

The balls were HARD. You dont want these getting smooshed in the cone.

Results were.... acceptable, but not anything worth writing home about.

The hardest part is depth. Getting the first ball in is easy, getting the second right on the "equator" of the ball is the tricky part.

Couple of inches ? Mine were more like a hands' width apart.

don3
June 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
Never did load 44 with 2 round ball but do load 45 colt, have loaded 38 and 32 H&R mag with two round ball, they shot fine, were fun to load and shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "2x .429 Balls in .44 Magnum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!