Possible holster ID

PDA

JohnM
June 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
I've had this for about 50 years, it originally belonged to an old friend who had it possibly from WWII or so, I don't remember.
If there were any makers marks on it, they've long faded away.
Maybe some of you guys who collect holsters may recognize the embossing on the strap covering the spring as distinctive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible holster ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
Don't know.

I've got one just like it, minus the embossing, for a 6" K-Frame.

I have never been able to I.D. it positively.

rc

JohnM
June 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks RC.
I figure the chances of IDing the maker are about zip to none. I have a number of old holsters that look professionally made with no identifying stamps.
I did see a picture of one like this made to the identical pattern, sans the embossing, and dyed black that was supposed to be US issue.
I know the original owner was a US Army Air Corps pilot before WWII.
I think all WWII stuff was natural brown though.

rcmodel
June 26, 2013, 05:51 PM
Yep.

All GI leather was oiled natural brown until the change-over from the brown boot army to the black boot army in 1956-57.

rc

JohnM
June 26, 2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I guess that's when that did happen. My Dad got assigned to 7th Army Headquarters in Germany in '56, it was shortly after we got there the Army went from the great looking Pinks and Greens dress uniform and all brown leather to that funky green they still use.
During my years in the early '60s all leather was black, very rarely we'd come across some old gear that still had natural brown leather.
I seem to remember some stuff not stamped "US", but it might not have been really legit for issue.

dfariswheel
June 26, 2013, 07:51 PM
The military never issued a spring-type shoulder holster since those were made for concealed carry and didn't retain a pistol well enough for rough military service.

A lot of pilots and other military personnel did buy commercial civilian shoulder holsters for their own use.

JohnM
June 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
Well, that makes sense, and we carried some of our own civilian gear during the VN years.
But, this stock number is supposed to be for an issue holster.
1095-00-716-0934, CAGE: 8K916 P/N: 7160934 HOLSTER, REVOLVER CAL .38, 1 EA. DAAA09-90-C-0745.
It was sold at auction and is nearly identical to the one I have.

Ron James
June 26, 2013, 11:40 PM
FWIW, the leather work looks a lot like the old vintage George Lawrence work. 26 years in the military I never saw a spring retention shoulder holster. I did see a few commercial holster that were personal property ( including mine ), however I will never say never.

rcmodel
June 27, 2013, 12:53 AM
Cage codes and such didn't come along until after NATO was formed after WWII, and still later before CAGE codes were in use on things like that.

We see a lot of fake labels like that on counterfeit 1911 magazines, Vietnam era plastic machete sheaths, etc.

There may have been a CAGE code for black spring clip holsters.

But the same one on GunAuctions.com, dated 1991 on the sticky label, over & over again, seems to me to be, highly suspect!

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=11649949

CAGE Code 8K916 = CATHEY ENTERPRISES INC.

They made 1911 holsters during Vietnam, and shoulder patches later on.
But spring-clip .38 snubby shoulder holsters??

Mmmmm?
Not so sure about that.

rc

GRIZ22
June 27, 2013, 03:04 AM
It does look like a George Lawrence product. IIRC their logo was in the shape of an oval. I have a black leather shoulder holster with a spring clip I got from an Air Force guy. I believe it was an issue item.

JohnM
June 27, 2013, 09:31 AM
Don't know if that holster I referenced as US issue is counterfeit, I don't have much interest in military stuff anymore.
It's a nice looking well made holster, but a Lawrence?, I dunno, any Lawrence stuff I have is marked as such.
This thing is getting pretty old, it could have been 30-40 years old when given to me and I've had it 50 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible holster ID" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!