Pelican Gun Cases?

PDA

allaroundhunter
June 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone, I am considering purchasing a Pelican 1750 rifle case. The case being one of their larger rifle cases, I am wanting to get one case that I can use for most any of my firearms simply by switching out the middle foam piece.

Now, for those of you that currently own or have owned pelican cases, are they worth the price tag? What do you like and dislike about them?

Here is the case I am looking at, for anyone wondering:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750

If you enjoyed reading about "Pelican Gun Cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
flphotog
June 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
I use a pelican for my camera gear they are worth every penny.

Certaindeaf
June 26, 2013, 01:12 PM
Any kind/size of Pelican case is good. I live in Oregon.

stumpers
June 26, 2013, 01:19 PM
I use a pelican for my camera gear they are worth every penny.

The only things I ever saw used in the Army for camera gear were Pelican cases. From my experience, they are unquestionably tough.

If I had a rifle that absolutely had to be protected, or needed a "forever" case, I'd buy Pelican.

allaroundhunter
June 26, 2013, 01:25 PM
To whichever mod moved my post, thank you, I couldn't find the firearm accessory subforum on my phone :o

And now I guess the only question I have is..... Black or Tan :confused:

MErl
June 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
tan, it picks up less heat sitting in the sun.

allaroundhunter
June 26, 2013, 01:29 PM
I hadn't thought of that, MErl, thanks!

Sgt_R
June 26, 2013, 03:13 PM
I have a 1750.

Big, heavy, awkward, unweildy, indestructable. It was absolutely worth the money; this case will probably outlive me. On the other hand, it's not very practical for everyday use. I would use it if I ever had to fly with my rifle (hasn't happened yet, but you never know), but I have a soft case to transport to/from the range.

IOW, the 1750 will protect your rifle if you want to drive a car over it, but a soft case is much easier to live with if you're more interested in putting the rifle in your car (as opposed to under it). Seriously. Good luck getting that thing in the backseat or trunk of any compact coupe or sedan made in the last 20 years; it's just not going to happen.

R

taliv
June 26, 2013, 03:54 PM
i've had several. it was interesting over previous years watching pelican and storm leapfrog each other in latch and hinge quality. but now, they're pretty stagnant.

i think there is still a lot of room for improvement in the latches, and particularly in the ability to put a quality padlock on the case. however, they are tough and the handle and wheels work well.

the standard foam is open cell and if you get a little water in there, every time you pull your rifles out for the next few weeks, they will be covered in condensation. they make closed cell foam for an additional charge.

tan or green is the way to go.

highlander 5
June 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
The company I retired from used storm case/pelican cases for shipping jet engine parts. I have a rifle case (the one you're interested in I believe) and one of their large handgun cases and you can't go wrong with them. My only down side they are heavy.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 26, 2013, 04:25 PM
I have a 1750 and love it. My rifle is very well protected in it. The added weight is the only con, but I doubt you will ever find a case as good that is lighter.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/ChadJohnson1976/Firearms/IMG_3019.jpg

627PCFan
June 26, 2013, 04:27 PM
Expensive and heavy yes, but they are worth it. If you do get one, I highly recommend the closed cell foam for the bottom and mid level-

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/JRSpicer426/8c49e2d8-efe4-49a5-ab2f-902c29f4ec13_zps4b7c6ed2.jpg (http://s260.photobucket.com/user/JRSpicer426/media/8c49e2d8-efe4-49a5-ab2f-902c29f4ec13_zps4b7c6ed2.jpg.html)

allaroundhunter
June 26, 2013, 04:31 PM
What do y'all use to cut the foam?

Sgt_R
June 26, 2013, 04:37 PM
I used chalk to trace my gear and an electric carving knife to make the cuts. Works fairly well if you have a steady hand, though I'm sure there are better ways.

R

herrwalther
June 26, 2013, 10:25 PM
Pelican cases are one of those things that everyone wished they thought of first. Now that they are around, it is hard to improve. I have Pelican cases of all sizes: from flip phone sized all the way to full sized foot lockers.

What do y'all use to cut the foam?

I have always either used a box cutter or exacto knife to cut out the foam outline. Or a a large fixed blade knife if I was "roughing" it. Chalk or a bright highlighter will do the trick to outline the item enough to cut.

allaroundhunter
June 26, 2013, 10:29 PM
Sounds like I'll be purchasing a tan 1750 off of Amazon with free 2 day shipping.

Do y'all think that $230 is a fair price (tax and shipping included)?

Magnuumpwr
June 26, 2013, 11:18 PM
That is about what I paid for a black one from Academy in Beaumont.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
June 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah, that is a fair price.

627PCFan
June 27, 2013, 09:19 AM
I think I paid 230 with the closed cell.

taliv
June 27, 2013, 09:39 AM
i bought a hot wire cutter from foam factory. it's ok. very slow though

mwmjones
July 1, 2013, 04:40 PM
Great cases

I would buy another if I needed another one

allaroundhunter
July 1, 2013, 04:43 PM
Well, after being ready to buy one, car troubles have caused me to use the funds elsewhere... This case will still be higher on my to buy list, I just can't swing it right now :banghead:

Owen
July 1, 2013, 07:03 PM
The pelican cases are fantastic, but I prefer the storm cases, just for the easier to use latches.

Outlaw Man
July 2, 2013, 08:50 AM
Another Pelican fan, here. I've flown with mine, and with no issues.

I'll probably pick up a couple more. One for another rifle and a small one for a pistol.

627PCFan
July 2, 2013, 08:53 AM
Just as an FYI, there are companies that actually do custom cases, and will do custom 3d cutouts for whatever your packing in there. We use them all the time for various govt customers.

omcf
July 2, 2013, 09:11 AM
I can verify that Pelican cases are the best I have handled, for what they are.

But...if you are looking for something less expensive that may do some of what you need (in other words, an inferior compromise) you may want to look at Plano All Weather series (the Bone Collector rifle case also).

scottishkat
July 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
Its Heavy and sometimes the latches get opened during flights. I have traveled with mine many times. I did not purchase diferent foam for different guns just cut it out small it will hold any firearm in place. Put cutouts in for binos and range finders etc so you can get the weights just under 50 to limit weight in bag number 2. Supposed to be watertite down to like 20' or something I doubt that works with the latch getting popped up. I don't think there is a better travel case out there for the money.

OpticsPlanet
July 17, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm a fan of the Storm latches, as well. Storm is part of Pelican these days.

For the foam, here's my boss attacking his:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhT7WtIsTg

Based on personal experience, the electric knife method works best if the wife is out of the house.

Here is also some inspiration from ARFCOM:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/292695_.html&page=1

Mark H.

gearchecker
July 26, 2013, 03:34 PM
I have a 1750 and I pack my 50 BMG rifle in it. Of course it's torn down, but the case is as tough as the rifle is. It's ugly and indestructable. I got the case with the rifle in a trade deal. Getting that case was a huge surprise when I opened the shipping box. I have quite a bit of high end camera equipment that's been stored in Pelican cases for years. No regrets here. I'm sure you'll quickly see the value in your investment of the case, for ultimate protection your gear.

swampcrawler
July 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
While iv never used one for firearms, (don't have anything worthy of one) we used exclusively pelican cases for our breathing air masks/regulators/escape bottles, SCBAs, radios, gauges and monitors when I worked for an industrial safety company.

These cases got drug up and down, thrown, kicked, beat on, bounced off if, soaked in and rolled down everything one could possibly find in a chemical plant. They have also been left out in the elements for years at a time, and we cleaned them with a pressure washer with a diesel fired heater that provided high preasure 200 degree water.

I think I saw one with a broken latch once. Other than that, I'd say it can handle transporting your rifles from range to home. :)

joeschmoe
July 27, 2013, 04:32 PM
Always check B&H Photo for prices. They are the largest single buyer of Pelicans so they almost always have the best price.

Averageman
July 27, 2013, 05:12 PM
Great cases.
I travel with my pistols all over the U.S. and send and recieve very delicate machined parts using Pelican cases.
If you take your time outlining and cutting you will be very happy with your purchase. I used and exacto and went really slow and now have a G17 and G26 that have a little "nest" everytime I travel.
I can assure you, this is money well spent.

Crashbox
July 27, 2013, 10:11 PM
Pelican cases are superb in my opinion. I know that the US Government uses them where case integrity is of paramount importance under very adverse conditions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pelican Gun Cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!