Bore Cleaner Warning

PDA

socalbeachbum
June 26, 2013, 04:36 PM
Got my shiny new Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago, has the laminate carbine stock in Zombie Green :D

Cleaned it after first use, used Safariland brand bore cleaner in a spray can, and it destroyed the finish on the receiver where cleaner drooled over the crappy black paint Ruger now uses. Looks like I used acetone on it.

I'd taken it out of the stock for a good thorough cleaning, so no harm to the stock.

Not sure if other bore cleaners are this dangerous to use. I've see guys use carb cleaner on guns. I've always used Hoppes powder solvent and oil, only. This is the first and last time I'll ever use the spray can stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore Cleaner Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HB
June 26, 2013, 04:41 PM
It would have flaked off anyway, at least thats what happened on my charger...

HB

adelbridge
June 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
see if you can send it back. I would consider that a design flaw. I would also take it up with Safariland as a hedge

Fishbed77
June 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
Breakfree Bore Cleaner will destroy pretty much any painted-on finish if left in contact for very long. You can certainly try sending it back to Ruger (since they do have great customer service) but I'm not sure that they are really at fault.

GBExpat
June 27, 2013, 08:27 PM
and it destroyed the finish on the receiver where cleaner drooled over the crappy black paint Ruger now uses.

Rather than blue or phosphate they paint the metal?! How incredibly lame.

rcmodel
June 27, 2013, 08:44 PM
Conventional blue or phosphate will not work on a 10/22.
Ruger 10/22's have aluminum alloy receivers.

Many years ago, they hard anodized them all a uniform blue black, as well as the alloy trigger guards..

More recently it is bake-on paint, and plastic trigger guards.

Even more recently, I guess it is Zombie Green paint now?
That right there is what is lame!

rc

GBExpat
June 27, 2013, 08:54 PM
Even more recently, I guess it is Zombie Green paint now?
That right there is what is lame!

<chuckle> There it is. ;)

351 WINCHESTER
June 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Whatever happened to steel. That's one reason I don't buy Ruger.

Hummer70
June 27, 2013, 11:02 PM
Can't speak for the stuff you used but I can tell you mosquito repellant will remove stock finish as well.

Fishbed77
June 27, 2013, 11:16 PM

I'm pretty sure 10/22 receivers have always been aluminum alloy.

As for the polymer trigger guard, it is stronger than the older metal version:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022.htm

Certaindeaf
June 27, 2013, 11:27 PM
Did you read the directions?

Jackal
June 28, 2013, 12:34 PM
All the aerosol gun scrubbers are just relabeled brake cleaner or carb cleaner (except for aerosol "lubes"). Both will take paint off. Save yourself $5 per can and get $0.99 carb cleaner from Walmart. Same product, one sixth the price.

Certaindeaf
June 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yea, you always want to save a couple bucks to ruin your stuff.

fguffey
June 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
Compatibility: A bad habit, carburetor cleaner, another bad habit, degreaser, there are a lot of home remedies, another mistake, assuming, there are chemicals that will turn a TURK Mauser gray.

Most new firearms come with instructions and directions, when ignored or misunderstood the instructions become destructions.

F. Guffey

socalbeachbum
June 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
ya, I read the directions. something like spray the bore liberally so you come back and buy more brake cleaner relabelled as great for your guns.

never again. good ol' Hoppes for this guy

Certaindeaf
June 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
I've never heard of Ballistol hurting anything.. wood included. I think you can ingest it, though I'd not recommend it.

Lj1941
June 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
Maybe Hoppes #9 isn't so bad after all-or is it?

socalbeachbum
June 28, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hoppes certainly smells better

Certaindeaf
June 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe Hoppes #9 isn't so bad after all-or is it?
I think for nickel finishes, it's pretty bad. I could be wrong though.

Jackal
June 28, 2013, 01:56 PM
The aerosol cleaners (aka carb/brake cleaner) are never for use on plastic or some coated steel parts. They work great on blued or stainless steel. If you want an aerosol cleaner, get Break Free in the spray can. It will lube and clean, also wont harm wood, plastic or paint.

Robert101
June 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
"destroyed the finish on the receiver".
What? That is never acceptable in my book. I have a Ruger 10/22 and this is not good to hear. I have used some bore cleaners on receivers and frames to remove carbon build-up in the past. I'd be disappointed if the finish was damaged.

lmccrock
June 29, 2013, 03:03 PM
I think for nickel finishes, it's pretty bad. I could be wrong though.
Yes. Never happened to me, but do not soak a nickel plated gun in #9 because the nickel comes off.

Deltaboy
June 29, 2013, 03:16 PM
I got it using Break free and Ed' s Red for the past 20 years and I not bought a bottle of Hoppes # 9 since.

jmr40
June 29, 2013, 06:37 PM

How many 22's are built on steel receivers? Only a handful and all of them are much more expensive than a 10-22. And their is no reason to make them from steel. Very few shotguns, or handguns today use steel, AR's have been made from aluminim for 50 years with no problems.

oneounceload
June 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
Very few shotguns, or handguns today use steel,

HUH?? Maybe your cheap pump guns and plastic black pistols, but my O/U and SxS and semi gas shotguns are all walnut and steel as are most of my handguns

Fishbed77
June 29, 2013, 10:09 PM
destroyed the finish on the receiver".
What? That is never acceptable in my book. I have a Ruger 10/22 and this is not good to hear. I have used some bore cleaners on receivers and frames to remove carbon build-up in the past. I'd be disappointed if the finish was damaged.

If it's a painted-on finish, bore cleaner will damage it, no matter the firearm. Even Saiga rifles and CZ pistols (which have a crazy-tough baked/painted finish) will have their finish damaged by bore cleaner/carb cleaner/brake cleaner.

The stuff can melt polymer as well. My brother had some damage the polymer grips of his Buck Mark pistol. Myself, I only use it to remove cosmoline from mil-surp firearms, and then only after removing all the wood.

For normal cleaning, Hoppes No. 9 and CLP will always do the job.

Robert101
June 30, 2013, 02:52 PM
You know I'm just realizing the I group Hoppes #9 into the "bore cleaner" category. So, will Hoppes #9 also damage the finish on a Ruger 10/22 receiver. I hope I'm not intruding upon the OP's thread as I believe this to be just a clarification on it.

Fishbed77
July 1, 2013, 11:09 AM
So, will Hoppes #9 also damage the finish on a Ruger 10/22 receiver

Not in my experience.

socalbeachbum
July 1, 2013, 11:39 AM
I'll volunteer to test my already damaged Ruger paint job with Hoppes #9, but I do not believe it is damaging unless you leave it sit on there a long time.

I only use Hoppes in the bore and in the bolt/receiver area to cut powder residue. I never wipe down the exterior with Hoppes. I use CLP or Tri-Flow or plain ol' gun oil on the exterior surfaces.

socalbeachbum
July 1, 2013, 11:06 PM
well, bad news. Hoppes #9 softened and left marks behind in the previously unblemished areas on my new Ruger 10/22 receiver.

I did not let the Hoppes sit long, just wiped down the tested area then wiped it away, and it marred the finish.

I have powdercoated pieces on my FJ Cruiser and the powercoat gets easily blemished, and I think powdercoat is rather porous and prone to chemical attack

dvdcrr
July 2, 2013, 12:33 AM
Look for cleaners which will remove plastic shotgun wad fouling and keep such products away from synthetic stocks, and finishes.

Watch out for powderblast and gun scrubber which are ok on bare metal
Clp seems pretty safe along with hoppes and outers

claiborne
July 2, 2013, 10:05 AM
Very rarely do I use brake/carb cleaner to clean blued steel; only when the firearm is very grungy. Otherwise the only aerosole spray I use on my guns is Rem oil.

taliv
July 2, 2013, 10:17 AM
sounds like you've got a good excuse to paint it yourself. do something interesting.

tcj
July 2, 2013, 10:33 AM
+1 on the Ballistol...I use it on all of my firearms and so far it has not damaged any finish or stock.

May not be the strongest cleaner but it seems to be about the least damaging and isn't supposed to be hard on your skin, wood, etc.

socalbeachbum
July 2, 2013, 10:34 AM
good idea taliv, maybe a rattle can camo job

If you enjoyed reading about "Bore Cleaner Warning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!