Tech Sight Woes. 10/22 shoots way high.

PDA

HoosierQ
June 26, 2013, 05:57 PM
I've installed a set of Tech Sights on my Ruger 10/22 Sporter with a 22" barrel. The thing is shooting WAY high...8 inches at 50 yards. I kept raising and raising the AR15-like front sight to get the thing to hit at point of aim. Finally, I got the thing screwed way up high...way past where the detent catches so the sight is just sitting there in its threads. This can't be right. The top of the front sight post is almost even with the ears.

What the devil should I do? There is quite a bit of thread left to go but again, I've long since run out of detent. I suppose getting a taller front sight post might be an option I don't know. What would cause this thing to shoot so high? Groups great if you can find the group and once I got it screwed way up teetering there at the top of its travel it shot like a dream. I am loathe to loc-tite the thing like that until I find out the root cause.

Thanks.

Q

If you enjoyed reading about "Tech Sight Woes. 10/22 shoots way high." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
back40
June 26, 2013, 06:00 PM
which model tech sight do you have? are you using the correct rear aperture? one is about 6-7 moa higher for shooting at 100yds. perhaps it has something to do with the bbl length? mine are on a 16" bbl.

MikeJackmin
June 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
I recall from their web site that sometimes a higher front sight is needed.

HoosierQ
June 26, 2013, 07:30 PM
which model tech sight do you have? are you using the correct rear aperture? one is about 6-7 moa higher for shooting at 100yds. perhaps it has something to do with the bbl length? mine are on a 16" bbl.
I have the model 100 which has the flip aperture. I was using the smaller diameter one. I will check their website and see what's to be found there.

HoosierQ
June 26, 2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah I think I'm just using the wrong aperture. I think I should have been using the 0-2 instead of the other one. Pilot error it appears. Looks like I have a great excuse to go to the range again soon! Thank goodness I stockpiled .22lr ammo when it was plentiful, long before the current panic started back in December.

HoosierQ
June 26, 2013, 07:42 PM
You called it I think. Wrong aperture.

back40
June 26, 2013, 07:47 PM
hopefully that's all it was....easy fix;) if need be, you could always order the taller front post that comes with the 200 series set. good luck!

jmr40
June 26, 2013, 09:15 PM
Could be the barrel length. Most 10-22's are 18". Are the sights intended for the 22" barrel, or an 18" barrel.

HoosierQ
June 27, 2013, 07:04 AM
Could be the barrel length. Most 10-22's are 18". Are the sights intended for the 22" barrel, or an 18" barrel.
I wondered about that too. I see nothing on their website. I tried a the other aperture for a few shots but it seemed not to help. However I know I didn't try very hard...just a few shots. I need to flip it to the 0-2 aperture and leave it and really work through it. I am happy to see that the taller sight is just $5.00 so either way I think I have lots of options. Fun summer of shooting in store for me!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tech Sight Woes. 10/22 shoots way high." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!