So, Is a roller handle worth it for the Lee CLASSIC Turret Press??

PDA

Rule3
June 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
I have e mailed LEE several times over the years about a roller handle for the Classic Turret Press. They make one for the regular turret Why they do not for their most popular press, I have no clue:rolleyes: Come on it's a steel rod with a bearing??

So there are after market ones which appear well made but come at a price! I want one, but at a LEE price.

So are the expensive ones worth it for those of us not in their 30's (or later) anymore?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "So, Is a roller handle worth it for the Lee CLASSIC Turret Press??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Potatohead
June 26, 2013, 07:49 PM
good question. eager to see the answers on this

Certaindeaf
June 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
I just wear a cotton glove so the ball easily rotates in my grip, while listening to Michael Jackson.. yea!

floydster
June 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
The roller handle is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Robert
June 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
Heh, I love the roller handle on my Dillon. Answer to a real problem or not I would not trade it for a ball handle.

tomrkba
June 26, 2013, 08:58 PM
I've had the standard one for 18 years. It works fine because the classic press is not a high volume press. I like the roller handle for the Dillon RL550.

Rule3
June 26, 2013, 09:14 PM
The roller handle is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
A cliche reply does not help.

I may be, if you have CTS or Arthritis.

beatledog7
June 26, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have this on my press, and I will never go back to a straight handle and ball. Cured my elbow issues within a couple of weeks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/263244/inline-fabrication-ergo-roller-handle-for-hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press

RustyFN
June 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
Depends how you load. The angle I sit at the roller handle wouldn't work for me. I installed a billiard ball on all of my presses and it is a lot more comfortable that the factory ball that came on the handle.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7cf30b3127ccec2c24fb8471200000010O00DZOGblm4Yg9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00108393820020071112004101529.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc33b3127ccec60c25009ab900000040O00DZOGblm4Yg9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00108393820020090213052040975.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I also have a blue 2 ball on my Dillon 550 but don't have a picture.

Certaindeaf
June 26, 2013, 09:41 PM
Rusty, I was going to bring up the cue-ball deal or somesuch.. hey, nice candy jar!

Yea, it kinda sucks to have to pay more than half what the press costs for a handle.

Rule3
June 27, 2013, 12:44 AM
Without being able to compare side by side, I gather the billiard ball is larger? Better grip?

Where does one find a single? Has to be a red 3:)

1SOW
June 27, 2013, 12:46 AM
My hand/wrist was getting cramped with the LEE ball handle, so I made a roller handle.

The roller handle did relieve my hand and wrist discomfort. The roller handle allows the wrist to not move at all. My seat position had to change slightly, but no problems. It actually works very well.
I have a permanent light for the powder drop mounted on the right side, so the handle had to clear that , but it was fairly easy to rig as an attachment to the existing handle without the ball--one bolt through the handle attached some fitted square tubing with the roller handle welded to the top at the same height as the ball. and dead level with the floor.

Moving the handle& pull force outboard from the press adds a little more twisting force to the linkage, but it has worked smoothly for several thousand rds so far.
It's not always this messy, just much of the time.:D
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TvTs3dp-JHU/UMZ8179qwqI/AAAAAAAABkI/4gKDlNuP3hc/s576/S4300023.JPG

oldreloader
June 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm with Rusty on the pool ball.. I've added a #3 to the Classic Cast since this pic.

CMD-Ky
June 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
I put an Inline Fabrication roller on a Redding T-7. It eased the pain in my elbow which at times was bad. The pain was a problem that did exist and the roller was the solution.

joecil
June 27, 2013, 09:05 AM
I have two of the Inline Fabrication handles one on my Lee Classic Turret and one on my Lee Classic Cast. I think they are worth every bit of the price as they are much better than Lee's in my opinion.

dickttx
June 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
Before you spend the $ on a roller handle, you might try shortening the regular handle on the LCT. All you have to do is loosen the bolt on the left side and slide the handle further down. It gave me a much shorter throw and eased my shoulder.
I like the wooden ball on my LCT. It is now smooth and slides very easily in my hand, thus I don't have to bend my wrist.
I tried a short ergo roller handle on my LnL AP but I could never get it lined up at exactly 90 degrees to the press so I was always working at somewhat of an angle. I went back to the ball. I do wish I had a smooth pool ball for it.
Does anyone know how the ball is attached to the LnL handle? Just a press fit like the Lee?

Rule3
June 27, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yes, I have shortened the handle. It's like shifting a sports car:)

Who has a source for a Red Billiard ball, it just looks cool!??:D

Certaindeaf
June 27, 2013, 10:07 AM
Maybe a pool hall. If they lose one or one is damaged, they probably retire that whole set.

joecil
June 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
Here is one of many sources for Pool balls. http://www.ozonebilliards.com/balandbalrac.html?s_kwcid=TC-9098-779076136-e-12772651

stubbicatt
June 27, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joecil: Will that Inline Fabrication roller handle make it less painful to seat primers on the LCT? I feel like my elbow gets popped out of place priming brass with the LCT sometimes.

dickttx
June 27, 2013, 01:40 PM
There was someone on one of the forums that had a source where you could get them drilled for your press for, IIRC $15. Can't find anything I saved about it. Maybe someone will recall it.

sellersm
June 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
There was someone on one of the forums that had a source where you could get them drilled for your press for, IIRC $15. Can't find anything I saved about it. Maybe someone will recall it.
I believe it was Adam Neat, user ANeat in most forums: Glock Talk, Cast Boolits, etc.

joecil
June 27, 2013, 03:06 PM
I've found to be easier to seat primers. I also found it didn't make me bend over to go to the bottom of my stroke which was bothering my back or shoulder at all. The picture on the left is the arm I use on my Lee Classic Cast and the one on the right on my Lee Classic Turret. By the way these two arms work on both presses so either will work on the Turret.

Rule3
June 27, 2013, 03:08 PM
Here is one of many sources for Pool balls. http://www.ozonebilliards.com/balandbalrac.html?s_kwcid=TC-9098-779076136-e-12772651
Thanks for the link! I did not know you could buy just one.

How hard (difficult) are they to drill? I have good tools.

Certaindeaf
June 27, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'd think a drill press and barring that, a steady hand and a fixed ball (in both cases). It's a slip fit on the shaft though I guess you could spooge it up with some glue. It's plastic.

dickttx
June 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
If you glued it on how would you ever get it off?
As near as I can measure the LCT shaft is 9/16.

RustyFN
June 27, 2013, 06:56 PM
Without being able to compare side by side, I gather the billiard ball is larger? Better grip?

Where does one find a single? Has to be a red 3

Yes it is larger. It also slips in your hand nice and it fits my hand nice no matter what angle I grip it from. I got mine from AdamN at Glock Talk.

Rule3
June 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'd think a drill press and barring that, a steady hand and a fixed ball (in both cases). It's a slip fit on the shaft though I guess you could spooge it up with some glue. It's plastic.

:eek:

Ewwww, now I don't want too!:D:D:D

Certaindeaf
June 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
That's technical construction talk!

bds
June 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
While Lee Precision states on their website that Pro 1000 roller handle cannot be used with the Classic Turret, for $20 it costs, it might be worth a try - http://leeprecision.com/roller-handle-assembly.html

I put the Pro 1000 roller handle in the Classic Turret and as you can see in the picture, the solid handle rod is smaller in diameter but perhaps you can fashion a split sleeve for it to work?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=185744&stc=1&d=1372388256

Reefinmike
June 27, 2013, 11:18 PM
A roller handle is on the list next time I put together a midway order. I dont know why no one else complains about it, but priming on the press really puts a hurtin on my hand, and im only 23 and have some big ol paws :) . Specifically winchester 38spl and 45 brass have really difficult time seating primers for me. Tula, cci, winchester, S&B, wolf- half the time they ride high in winchester unless I put all my weight into the upstroke, rocking back on the hind legs of my chair. After priming about 300 rounds, the bottom center of my palm really starts to ache. I guess im happy that I bought the el cheapo turret as the new roller lever is only $20 and its served me well over 25k loads in the last year!

Eb1
June 28, 2013, 01:18 AM
Here is my answer to the post, but I think my press on the strong mount, and running it like a turret the roller handle doesn't matter to much, but use my 550b with 4 things going on and it likes the ball handle. So do I.

Maybe if my press were on a better bench, and using the strong mount I wouldn't have such issues with the roller handle. I don't really have a problem running the press with one casing, but if I run four in progressive mode...problems.

Read if you like: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=711236

Hondo 60
July 2, 2013, 10:30 AM
That's a very subjective issue.
I went for a couple of years w/o a roller handle.
But once I found a used one, I wouldn't go back to the stick straight handle.

I don't know if it matters, but I sit to reload.

Katitmail
July 2, 2013, 11:05 AM
I have regular handle on LCT and roller handle on Dillon. Roller handle is more comfortable. I doubt I will spend money on one though..

Fishslayer
July 2, 2013, 02:19 PM
So are the expensive ones worth it for those of us not in their 30's (or later) anymore?:D

Not for me, but I did get a little tired of the effort involved, especially the sizing/decapping stroke on 9mm.

A light spritz of Hornaday One Shot lube makes life easier. ;)

Certaindeaf
July 2, 2013, 03:04 PM
^
True, lots of guys make life easier by spritzing 9mm etc. Makes it just so much easier, no matter the press.

tightgroup tiger
July 2, 2013, 07:50 PM
Theirs people on Ebay under the reloading section that sell pool balls for loading presses. Some get quite fancy.

red rick
July 2, 2013, 08:47 PM
I just wish the stock arm was off set more.

oneounceload
July 2, 2013, 09:07 PM
A cliche reply does not help.

I may be, if you have CTS or Arthritis.

Or you need a machine with an auto advance feature negating the need for a handle in the first place

Lost Sheep
July 2, 2013, 10:24 PM
A roller handle is on the list next time I put together a midway order. I dont know why no one else complains about it, but priming on the press really puts a hurtin on my hand, and im only 23 and have some big ol paws :) . Specifically winchester 38spl and 45 brass have really difficult time seating primers for me. Tula, cci, winchester, S&B, wolf- half the time they ride high in winchester unless I put all my weight into the upstroke, rocking back on the hind legs of my chair. After priming about 300 rounds, the bottom center of my palm really starts to ache. I guess im happy that I bought the el cheapo turret as the new roller lever is only $20 and its served me well over 25k loads in the last year!
I adjusted the handle on my Classic Turret so that it is close to the vertical support of the turret ring at the point in its movement when the primer is being seated. I put the heel of my thumb on the bar/handle (just below the ball) and wrap my fingers around the vertical and squeeze gently.

I find that primers seat easily, and with good feel for the seating depth and pressure.

Lost Sheep

mdemetz
July 3, 2013, 10:18 AM
According to Titan Reloading, the Lee roller handle arm is 1/2" and the Lee Classic arm is 5/8"

Rule3
July 3, 2013, 11:23 AM
Delete, never mind

mdi
July 3, 2013, 12:07 PM
Worth it? If one fell in my lap for $5.00, mebbe. $100.00 for one, no...

My turret press has put out a few thousand rounds without one so I guess one isn't needed...

ranger335v
July 4, 2013, 06:55 PM
They wouldn't be worth it to me if roller handles were 2 for a quarter, with free shipping.

I don't grip my press handle like it's alive and trying to get away so a normal ball rotates quite easily in my loose grip, especially with the light film of case lube that's typically on my palm. I've epoxyed three plastic balls on Lee press handles over the years, can't imagine why I would be concerned about getting them off.

44vaquero
July 6, 2013, 01:14 PM
$3.75 Roller handle upgrade! It works and is very simple to make. Extended sessions on the LM were getting hard on my wrist.

oldreloader
July 6, 2013, 04:31 PM
Where did you get the roller?

A Pause for the Coz
July 7, 2013, 10:44 AM
I put one on my LEE Deluxe Turret.
Turns out its not the cats meow for me.
I dont sit directly in front of the press I am on the left side of the press. I push down with my Palm right at the Angle of the roller and the rod.

But I do like that the roller handle came with steel linkage to replace the Aluminum linkage.
I think I will end up cutting the roller part off and replacing that with a Pool Ball

floydster
July 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
The natural roll of the ball in my hand is the only way to go for me, as I sit at the left of my presses--right hand on the ball, and the left hand to feed, including my LNL AP.

44vaquero
July 7, 2013, 12:39 PM
$3.75 Roller Handle press update!

"Roller Handle" parts

Parts list:

1. 1/2 Split ring (Plumbing aisle @HD)

1. 5/16 x 4.5 Bolt

2. 5/16 Washers

Total cost $3.75

The actual handle is a piece PVC and a foam bike handle grip sourced from other projects.

oldreloader
July 7, 2013, 01:46 PM
That's ingenuity

HOWARD J
July 7, 2013, 02:06 PM
The ball came off my LCT yesterday--appears to be pressure fitted.
I used some crazy glue---it think it will stay for another 4 years or so.

44vaquero
July 7, 2013, 03:47 PM
Howard, try some silicone caulk, it makes up for the wood drying out over time. Just fill the hole push the ball on and wipe away the excess.

Lost Sheep
July 8, 2013, 09:24 PM
Has anyone ever fitted a foot-lever to a bench-mounted press?

Lost Sheep

Eb1
July 8, 2013, 10:56 PM
Lost Sheep, are you speaking like a pneumatic foot pedal?

44vaquero
July 9, 2013, 12:33 AM
Actually, I have thought about a foot operated set up like on the old singer sewing machines and decide it a great way to crush a finger or jamb the press.

The feeling of resistance/equipment friction would be lost.

Lost Sheep
July 9, 2013, 09:52 PM
Lost Sheep, are you speaking like a pneumatic foot pedal?
I was thinking a lever whose pivot point was at or near bench height with a footpad at floor level. A seated operator would use his foot to move the pedal fore and aft to operate the press.

I thought about the potential loss of fine "feel" mentioned by 44vaquero, but figured that if I can feather a clutch, I can seat a primer just as gently. As far as crushing a finger, I can do that with a hand-operated press just as well as a foot-operated one. I will grant that two hands would be at risk instead of only one, but that just means I have to be twice as careful.

Lost Sheep

RustyFN
July 10, 2013, 09:42 PM
I agree with 44vaquero.It sounds like a cool idea to me but I would guarantee that I would hurt myself.

djboo4you
July 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
I just put an 8 ball on mine in place of the crappy wooden one...I drilled it out using a 5/8 bit...it went on about 1/4 inch at first...until i found my 4lb dead blow and persuaded it a little further...works great looks cool :)

If you enjoyed reading about "So, Is a roller handle worth it for the Lee CLASSIC Turret Press??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!