Nashville Range Report-Maks, PDs, 2206

PDA

Drakejake
March 19, 2004, 05:17 PM
I went out today to the new Stone's River Firing Range east, southeast of Nashville. Here is a report.

This is a gorgeous day in Nashville, the same as yesterday--sunny, above 70 degrees.

I had several goals today. I wanted to see if the stronger mag latch springs I put in my two Star PD compact .45s would stop the mags from popping out with every shot. Mixed results. One of the two pistols continued to have this problem and when I got home I replaced the spring with another. Hope springs....

I also wanted to confirm something about one of my two Makarovs. This one works fine single action but will not fire double action. At home I had discerned that the problem disappears when I replace the slide with one from the other Makarov. Sure enough, with the slides switched, both Maks worked great in both single and double action. When the slides were put back on their original frames, one Mak wouldn't fire double action. So there is something on the bad Mak's slide that is preventing the hammer from hitting the firing pin, but only in double action. The search for a cure goes on. I have already replaced a slew of parts without solving the problem. By the way, these little Commie pistols are great fun to shoot, accurate, soft in recoil, nice looking, and cheap.

I finished off by shooting my Smith and Wesson 2206 target pistol in .22lr with six inch barrel. I could shoot this pistol all day. It shoots like a pop-gun, but very accurate. The SW model 41 is supposed to be better and costs twice as much, but I can't imagine improving my marksmanship with it.

This public range near Nashville just opened last October. It is fully staffed and carefully supervised. You do have to pay $4.50 per session ($101 for unlimited access for a year) and you have to pick up your spent cases. The latter is a bit of a chore for an old guy like me. On the other hand, the range is large, very safe, very clean, and staffed by friendly men. Too bad it is 35 miles away from my home and on the other side of Nashville. The range I used previously, at Cheatham Wildlife Management Area, is on my side of town and closer, but has been closed indefinitely because of vandalism and unresolved management issues.

Drakejake

If you enjoyed reading about "Nashville Range Report-Maks, PDs, 2206" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
admar2
March 19, 2004, 09:37 PM
what part of Nashville you live in?

we are moving there in April.

corruptone
March 19, 2004, 09:43 PM
Sounds like DrakeJake lives somewhere around Bellevue. Bellevue is where I reside and it's very nice. Little pricey, but can be less expensive compared to Brentwood or Franklin. I heard that about Cheatham County range as well from a friend. I guess you would say I was a regular there. I certainly hope they find the SOB's who destroyed it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nashville Range Report-Maks, PDs, 2206" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!