Savage Hog Hunter for build?

PDA

Pripyat
June 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
I am looking for a project rifle for target (.223) and am torn between purchasing a new Hog Hunter to shoot now and rebarrel/restock later or getting a used Savage 110 or 111 to rebarrel now. Third option is to wait and buy a new/used model 12 in SS. There aren't many hog hunter builds around the net and my main question is what are the disadvantages of using its receiver for a high end build if I ever get there? If I end up building a 2k benchrest rifle out of it will I regret not going ahead and getting a BVSS or LRV now? Quality glass will be my first purchase either way I go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Hog Hunter for build?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
June 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
I don't want a big magazine well hole in the bottom of a target rifle.

Pripyat
June 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
Valid point- I did some calculations for $ spent now vs. $ spent overall and I didn't even notice that the magazine well of the hog hunter is right at the center of mass of the rifle. So that would require me to grab a stock early on which slightly negates the initial money savings of getting the hog hunter as a base. Thanks a lot for the input. Exactly what I was looking for.

Jim Watson
June 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
It's not just the stock, it's the receiver itself.
I have a BVSS-S single shot set up for F class and wish it were the real F class model or one of the current single shots with small ejection port and three action screws.
With a free floated barrel, the action should be as stiff as possible.

Pripyat
June 27, 2013, 04:17 PM
Good to know. I think I may be better off waiting and getting a much better/nicer rifle up front. I didn't want to get started on a build and realize my receiver (base component) was the weakest link. Which seems to be the case if I were to go with the hog hunter model. ..And SS looks so much better. :thumbup:

[Edit] What would be the best candidate from savage that will be the least coin now but won't limit my options later?

12Bravo20
June 27, 2013, 10:52 PM
If you are wanting to build it yourself, have you considered the Stevens 200 rifles? The Stevens 200 is nothing but a pre Accu-trigger Savage.

Pripyat
June 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
I was thinking the Stevens were not single-shot. From my research the only savage single shot is around $1400. So I will have to wait to get a project rifle if I go that route. I am tempted to buy my buddies 6mmBR. Custom stock, barrel, trigger. 20 shot groups at .2" MOA with his hand loads. I would spend less on his rifle than a new single shot savage. But I really wanted to build it myself..

Pripyat
July 1, 2013, 12:29 PM
I have done much thinking and to do the build right it looks like I would have to spend around 1500 just on the rifle. At that point a 1500 dollar scope to complement it will put me back over $3K. And that doesn't count getting me started in reloading for a new caliber as i don't want a .30 caliber paper puncher.

So I contacted my buddy that built his single shot savage - I know for a fact it shoots .2" MOA 20 round groups with his hand loads. He sent the rifle off for blueprinting and the rifle has an aftermarket barrel, trigger, and stock. Such a sexy looking rifle. He is getting away from 6mmBR so he offered to sell me everything, including his lapua brass, .5+ BC berger projectiles, dies, powder, etc. He claims to have over 2K in the rifle and gunsmithing not counting glass. Scope is a NightForce. I expect it to cost around 60-70% of what he has in the gun/scope/components.

I really want to build my own but it seems like I can come out about 2K cheaper buying all this stuff second hand. Not to mention I'll have an accurate rifle that I can use to perfect my hand loading. He hasn't given me a price but said "you won't be disappointed". What are you guys' thoughts? I'm going to be mainly paper punching at 200M and would be interested in shooting in competitions at the local range. Will I really be that disappointed that I didn't build the rifle myself?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage Hog Hunter for build?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!