Help ID My FN 8mm Mauser

PDA

tharkey
June 27, 2013, 12:01 PM
I inherited an 8mm Belgian Mauser from my father. I am attaching a copy of the markings found on receiver and/or barrel. The rifle has a sporting stock, not military. Can anyone provide details from the markings?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID My FN 8mm Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AethelstanAegen
June 27, 2013, 05:06 PM
Those are just Belgian proof marks. I'm not an expert on Belgian proof marks so I can't tell you much about dates but that should help you figure some of it out.

http://www.inherited-values.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/vintage-foreign-gun-proof-marks.jpg

Jim K
June 27, 2013, 11:27 PM
The 8x51mm Mauser is so close to the 7.62x51 NATO that they are almost twins except for caliber. I have little doubt that the 7.62 or .308 Winchester would fireform nicely in an 8x51 chamber. I would not fire either round at full power, though, until I had the rifle checked out.

I found dies on a Czech site but not cheap at €159. There might be some other way if you want to shoot the rifle.

Jim

303tom
June 28, 2013, 12:02 AM
They are special order, but you need to check out Midway.................
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=12409

tharkey
July 2, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the symbol chart, AethelstanAegen. Definitely Belgian. Now I know where it was made and who made it. Any advice on finding when it was made, perhaps by the serial number?

AethelstanAegen
July 2, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm afraid I don't know that much about Belgian rifles...it's possible that you can find an FN Mauser action list somewhere of the serials. I don't know of anything off the top of my head. It's possible if you contact FNH, they may be able to help you (much like you can do for a Winchester or S&W). It's also possible that your rifle didn't start out with a sporting stock and could be a re-purposed military action (FNH started with a contract to build 150,000 Model 89 Mausers). I'd recommend trying to contact FN and see what they say; I suspect that any lists may have been lost in either WW1 or WW2 but it's possible them might still be around.

I think the original Model 1889s were in 7.65x53 and I'm guessinf the 7.9m mark on your rifle might be the caliber (so probably 7.92x57), so it's probably a later military model or a commercial action. Either was, send FNH a message and see if they respond and then just do some googling and see if you can turn up a serial number range list.

tharkey
July 3, 2013, 10:09 AM
Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN) is pretty big - They own the FN, Browning and Winchester brands - and they're pretty old - 1889. I've tried contacting FN-Herstal and FN-USA several times and have yet to receive a response.

Jim Watson
July 3, 2013, 10:18 AM
It would help if you showed pictures of the rifle.
It might be an actual FN sporting rifle, they have sold guns not under the Browning brand.
It might be a sporterized FN military rifle, there are many versions to work with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID My FN 8mm Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!